Remove the interaction between {vamp} and hunger state

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 20:34

Remove the interaction between {vamp} and hunger state

This has probably come up before, but I don't see any reason vampiric weapons specifically should interact with the food game at all. There's already enough food in that game that you could switch out vampiric and antimagic/holy weapons as much as you like; the only barrier to doing so is that it's annoying (extra key presses required).
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 20:36

Re: Remove the interaction between {vamp} and hunger state

it also means that you can't freely do so during combat (at best, you need to use some beef jerky, chunks won't do) so there is a tactical reason.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 20:37

Vampiric weapon prevents spamming rods, blowguns and launchers, there is no enough food to ignore the cost. Vampiric brand does not need a buff IMHO.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 5
nago, PleasingFungus, Sar, scorpionwarrior, xentronium

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 21:20

Sandman25 wrote:Vampiric weapon prevents spamming rods, blowguns and launchers, there is no enough food to ignore the cost. Vampiric brand does not need a buff IMHO.

I would argue that having a vampiric weapon mostly means that ranged spam is unnecessary, so that there's plenty of food for conservative rod/launcher usage. It may depend on playing style though.
Comborobin Admin

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 21:48

I support this change, if it comes with complete removal of food.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 22:36

xentronium wrote:I would argue that having a vampiric weapon mostly means that ranged spam is unnecessary, so that there's plenty of food for conservative rod/launcher usage. It may depend on playing style though.

Sure. Last time I found vampiric weapon I had to change my play style, previously I was starting most fights with rod of cloud, dangerous fights with curare. I suspect that for some stabbers and EV-based characters like SpAs/En/Ar the cost is really high: switching to/from short blades for stabs becomes expensive and it can be too dangerous to stay in melee range trying to heal from Stone Giant while popcorn in melee range is still welcome.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 23:05

I'd argue the cost makes most vampiric weapons trash. Because unlike distortion; a low-skill weapon of vampiricism just doesn't add enough to help you win a fight.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 01:55

Yeah, a vampiric war axe or trident isn't a wonderful find the way a long sword of electrocution or a flail of distortion are. Vamprirism may be the best brand for the best weapon classes, but it doesn't make the lower tier weapons worth holding on to.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 02:53

If vamp is freely swappable it might become optimal to start every fight with another weapon and then swap to it when injured, which would be bad.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 03:20

rchandra wrote:If vamp is freely swappable it might become optimal to start every fight with another weapon and then swap to it when injured, which would be bad.

Can't you take damage and heal with vamp on the same turn? The turn it takes to swap would negate an advantage you get from having the first strike with good positioning as well.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 05:04

xentronium wrote:
rchandra wrote:If vamp is freely swappable it might become optimal to start every fight with another weapon and then swap to it when injured, which would be bad.

Can't you take damage and heal with vamp on the same turn? The turn it takes to swap would negate an advantage you get from having the first strike with good positioning as well.

You could hit a lot of times with a non-vamp weapon, then swap to vamp weapon to heal then swap back, if the non-vamp weapon does more damage in total across those hits over the vamp weapon, than the amount of damage you could do with the vampiric weapon in the time it takes to swap (typically 1-2 attacks) then you come out ahead, damage wise, so you end up with a situation where it's optimal, but tedious, to constantly be swapping weapons mid-combat
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 06:07

If swapping to vamp during combat is the problem, it could also be solved by making wielding vamp weapons take several turns. Of course, this would be another awkward special case...

Or, wielding a vamp weapon could take away half of your hit points. Or it could paralyze you for a few turns (buff to Fo / reason to wear stasis). Or something else...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 06:26

Siegurt wrote:
xentronium wrote:

You could hit a lot of times with a non-vamp weapon, then swap to vamp weapon to heal then swap back, if the non-vamp weapon does more damage in total across those hits over the vamp weapon, than the amount of damage you could do with the vampiric weapon in the time it takes to swap (typically 1-2 attacks) then you come out ahead, damage wise, so you end up with a situation where it's optimal, but tedious, to constantly be swapping weapons mid-combat

But if you can keep yourself at full health by swapping to vamp, why wouldn't you just use the vamp weapon for the whole combat?
Comborobin Admin

For this message the author xentronium has received thanks:
Rast

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 09:33

vampiric weapons have low damage when compared to properly branded ones (vampiric executioner is awesome but freezing/flaming executioner has much better damage, alternatively vampiric quicksword is ok but elec quicksword is amazing)

not to mention, maybe you're fighting a group of enemies, you might want vampiric to kill that stone giant but it's better to go for the extra dps vs that alich since it doesn't work on non-natural enemies as far as i recall

if swapping was allowed freely i'd definitely swap often

For this message the author adozu has received thanks: 2
bcadren, duvessa

Return to Game Design Discussion