Make MR gradual

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 16:03

Re: Make MR gradual

Eh. Generally I'm all for making characters more powerful, but I think this borders on dangerous, considering that any monster who has under "almost entirely resistant" would always be put to sleep with Ensorcelled Hibernation for at least one turn, which is all you need to stab.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 17:50

szanth wrote:... Then it's not Ensorcelled Hibernation anymore. It's slow. That's crap.

Could you please refrain from declaring other people's ideas as "crap" or "it sucks"?

minmay was obviously giving an example. If a monster resists EH instead of nothing happening, depending on MR, it could at least be slowed.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

For this message the author jpeg has received thanks:
danr

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 17:59

*facepalm*

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 18:27

szanth, a facepalm is just yet another expression of contempt. Someone else might get away with it but you are on thin ice.

I am one post away from banning you.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 18:31

As long as EH still had the same chance of effecting full hibernation as now, I'd support this.

I've noticed (I haven't played SpEN in a while) that ensorcelled monsters now still wander around slowly in some cases.

You'd have to make sure it wasn't then a cheaper way to achieve the slow effect though.

Perhaps it could have a chance of either confusing or slowing, so it would be less reliable and thus not just a cheaper version of those spells. And of course still have some chance of total failure.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 18:32

I haven't thought about it much, but so far I agree with minmay.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 18:42

danr wrote:I've noticed (I haven't played SpEN in a while) that ensorcelled monsters now still wander around slowly in some cases.

Is this in trunk? Certainly anything that you EH while it's confused will still wander around confused.

If it's a new trunk feature...everything sleepwalks now, or has a chance of it, I guess.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 14th January 2011, 20:11

I'd love to see this, both as a way to make rarely-seen MR effects more meaningful on players (effects like Slow, Confuse etc could be more likely to work on the player but have duration mitigated by MR) and as a way to buff the many unloved Hexes (make them more likely to work on high MR monsters but again, have power/duration reduced by partial resistance). Some MR-based spells work fine and could just keep their current functionality, too (Pain and Agony on top of those minmay mentioned).

I'll wiki it at some point soon if nobody else gets there first.

Return to Game Design Discussion