Monster that inflicts -Tele on death

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 20:45

Monster that inflicts -Tele on death

I was thinking about the old plague shambler creature, and how restricting player movement/positioning on monster death was a pretty cool idea, if poorly implemented in the case of the plague shambler. It occurred to me, what if instead there was a creature that inflicted Dimension Anchor on death? That would be far more threatening than the blob of miasma created by the shambler, and create a obstacle that the player couldn't just walk away from.

The creature would have to spawn with other monsters, since obviously -Tele isn't threatening if there's nothing else around you to get away from. It would have to be fragile enough where it would die easily, but hit hard enough that -Tele would be a viable alternative to letting the creature live and continue to damage you. It feels to me like this would be something you'd find in Vaults. For one, there's already a precedent of monsters there restricting your movement in vault wardens. Also, it's easy to get surrounded in Vaults, between Sentinel's Mark, Word of Recall, and the Vaults:$ ambush, so -Tele would make those situations a lot more dangerous.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 21:04

Re: Monster that inflicts -Tele on death

In my opinion it's poor practice to punish players for killing a monster. The only example that exists right now that I can think of are mummy enemies.

-Tele as a monster effect could be interesting (implemented similarly to water elemental's engulf status perhaps) ,but I would not have it activate upon killing the monster.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 6
bcadren, Bloax, Brannock, duvessa, hannobal, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 21:39

There are also lurking horrors, ball lightning, giant spores, and bennu.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 21:55

Spores, ball lightning, and lurking horrors are slightly different since you don't really kill them so much as get run into by them. Bennu are a good example though. Either way, ugh.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 2
Brannock, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 22:03

They explode if you kill them or get run into by them. Lurking horrors in particular, since killing them at long range is no defense unless it's around a corner.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 31st March 2015, 23:31

You forgot the worst of them all: shock serpents.

For this message the author asdu has received thanks: 8
Berder, Bloax, dowan, duvessa, Glenstorm, nago, Rast, rockygargoyle

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 15:07

Yeah... shock serpent are a cruel trick. They're faster than you, shoot lightning, and then if you hit them, they hit you with more lightning! Sometimes snake has way too many of these things, and some flimsy characters have a really tough time with them.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 16:25

How about a monster that heals you once in a full moon, but instakills you when it dies? That will be fun.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 16:54

kuniqs wrote:How about a monster that heals you once in a full moon, but instakills you when it dies? That will be fun.

Crazy Yuif is basically this, except he just occasionally instakills you while he's alive - he doesn't (yet) strike from beyond the grave.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 17:31

We could just give yuif an "animate your weapon on death" ability. Wouldn't that be awesome? ;)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 20:46

asdu wrote:You forgot the worst of them all: shock serpents.

Yeah, they're pretty bad. I usually confuse, enslave or polymorph them.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 1st April 2015, 21:15

Do shock serpents actually hurt you on death specifically? I think they just electrically explode whenever you hurt them, which happens to include you kill them, but also the other times.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 2nd April 2015, 06:06

I think the lighning scales with damage, so if you kill them with a hard blow, they strike back extra hard.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 2nd April 2015, 10:01

I think shock serpents are among the most interesting Snake monsters. Their ability is passive/defensive so it can't be completely ignored by brute force nuking, and this makes killing them an interesting puzzle. My favourite methods are Mephitic Cloud (they're very reliably confused by it) and Force Lance; but summons (for example Sticks to Snakes on a transmuter) and brute force conjurations from the edge of the los also work.

Disclaimer: I almost always play spellcasters, and I can usually deal high damage from afar, and shock serpents are probably much more annoying in meele. (My last winner, an OpTm lost 70% HP in an 1v1 fight against a shock serpent when I first tried to simply kill it in meele, then I started using Mephitic and Sticks to Snakes, and then it was much easier.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 3rd April 2015, 15:57

Well, the lightning explosion is defensive, but they actively shoot lighting at you too. And they're faster than most characters. So the 'puzzle' is usually, can you kill it from far enough away, quickly enough, that it doesn't blast you down with lightning. Once it closes the distance, if you don't have the HP to survive killing it and eating the retribution, you either burn a consumable or you die.

Meph cloud and/or confusion is a good solution for them, as it is for many things, but not all characters have access to these things.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 3rd April 2015, 17:32

Almost every character has access to wand of polymorph and scroll of identify.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

For this message the author kuniqs has received thanks:
dowan

Return to Game Design Discussion