Charms and hexes ideas

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 9th May 2011, 16:48

Charms and hexes ideas

With the recently removal of the Arcane Marksmen, the split of the charms/hex schools and the doubtful fate of the crusader class in the game, I have been thinking on how to improve them as well as a review of the enchanter class. Then, I've though on some new spells of either charm, hex or both.

First of all, let's define each class from what I consider appealing in the game.

Crusaders are mainly melee fighters that use magic as a improvement in combat (by charms) either boosting their aptitudes or enhancing their weapons. So they are not as skillful in combat as a fighter would be but compensate this with temporary enhancement by magic. This class is a warrior-mage but biased to combat. Their name, however, should be changed as it was discussed in another post. Arcane warrior fits better for me but a single word would be even better.

Similarly, Arcane marksmen fight at distance by means of magic projectiles. They are a ranged crusader and use charms, in contrast to conjurers or elementalists that throw magic by spellcasting. Compared to a hunter, the latter is a better fighter and stealthier in a major degree. I think they would be reincorporated because it's a role quite good to some magic affine species like nagas, spriggans or elves. They are the truly magic light infantry -or magic skirmishers-, not the enchanter.

Enchanters should be, for me, mages that use magic (charms and hexes) indirectly to take some advantage over their enemies or, better, to avoid combat at all. In the current definition, they boost in combat (grr) and they are considered a mixed warrior-mage class, with some degree of throwing ability. I don't think so, because the two above class stand up for this role of magic combat. In that sense I consider enchanters a cunning class (high levels are politicians!) that incapacitate enemies in some way or improve their own qualities but not for the combat.

Therefore, I've proposed new spells to fit into the enchanter class:

Magic key (Hex) Applied to doors, it closes them and only can be reopened applying the same hex. Handy when you want to have some breath from a persecution or to close enemies in a room.

Respect aura (Charm/Hex). Applied to oneself, it improves your charisma so monsters seeing you becomes neutral (as a hex does) while the aura lasts on you (as a charm does ), provided that you do not attack to them. Possibly affects sentient beings and not useful on undead or chaotic.

Inspire conflict (Charm/Hex). A halo surrounds you (charm) which incites monsters seeing you to fight against each other (hex) while the effect lasts on you. This also makes allies to fight against you, however.

Clumsiness (Hex) Low level. Targeted on some monster, it nerfs her attacks by reducing accuracy and even a chance to lose her weapon each step it does.

For the enchanter I would remove from the starting book the corona spell, that fits better for the AM, and I will add an improvement to it: missiles reaching a corona-ed monster, does not break and they can be recovered afterwards. With this you get a easier early game not losing so many projectiles.

For enchanter/AM/crusader, another interesting charm,

Fuzziness (Charm/Hex). Your position and shape become somewhat uncertain to those who see you (Hex), so your enemies may attack adjacent tiles instead of your actual position. This has a duration effect on you (charm). It is similar to the displacement cloack of Nethack and I find it useful to avoid attacks for the fragile AM and enchanters.

If there is no major criticism or banishment, I would post it in a wiki as soon as I can to discuss and see how realistic it would be to be coded. Sorry for the long post. For the crusader more war spells will be planned soon.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th May 2011, 17:28

Re: Charms and hexes ideas

Thanks for this. We do need new spells for AM and Cr. I'm not sure we do for En.

Magic key: terrain altering spells are tricky to balance. And it's a pure escape spell. Also it does have a strategical use (protecting a stash) and that's always problematic.

Respect aura is very strong. A bit like mass confusion but with a duration.

Inspire conflict is probably too strong (like in NH).

I like clumsiness :)

Fuziness is a bit too much like phase shift.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th May 2011, 22:14

Interesting ideas.

Magic Key: good stuff, but the second clause won't do. Either: the door will close now, but dissolve later (we're speaking about a few turns here), or the door is magically jammed, but will get open after a few tries.

Respect Aura: overlaps with Elyvilon healing, which is not good. What about Hexes of the type "Orc Appearance", "Naga Appearance", which make monsters of that type need much longer to discover what scoundrel you really are? All of these spells (Orc, Draconian, Naga, Ogre, ...) have limited use, which could be very interesting, making you consider branches based on spells found.

We need high level Hexes. How about Kitchen Knife, which (if successful) makes a monster drop her weapon, as it thinks any nearby item (be it dagger, club or apple) is much vastly superior?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 9th May 2011, 22:46

The difference with Ellyvilon pacification is that the aura effect is temporary and works better for humanoids than for beasts. This one and the conflict are though as high level hexes than can be nerfed limiting their effect for a few turns, less than a brand does, for instance.

The door idea was not fully developed. Maybe a temporal close is enough to play with doors, escape and gain some turns.

A new Hex/Earth is the "Exploding ground" (until a better name is given). It infuses a tile with a magic energy with explodes when somebody steps on it. Basically is a magic mine perfect to lure monsters into.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 10:13

dpeg wrote: How about Kitchen Knife, which (if successful) makes a monster drop her weapon, as it thinks any nearby item (be it dagger, club or apple) is much vastly superior?

I want this now, just because I want to see characters being beaten to death by ogres with chokos.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 10:51

i like all of these! some may be problematic, but as per dpeg's suggestions some modifications may make them viable.
strong spells can be made high-level (where hexes is lacking) and MR may apply. "inspire conflict" sounds situational and great fun.
as for 9 level hexes, i liked the time stop proposal, balancing notwithstanding.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 11:43

If we make failed hexes reduce MR, duration based aura spells won't be able to be balanced, they'll be just too good.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 12:17

well, then put a cap on MR reduction. it needs to be well thought out, but there are ways to balance it. and considering how long it's taken, there's no need to rush it.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 12:47

absolutego wrote:well, then put a cap on MR reduction. it needs to be well thought out, but there are ways to balance it.

Maybe. But the MR reducing hexes hasn't been coded yet, and it won't be trivial to balance. Let's keep all the spells with 1 "attack" per cast for now and try to balance the system this way. Once it's done, we'll test some more fancy effects.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 13:42

I have some ideas :)

Death Sentence (Hex): Kills a living target after several turns. May cause the creature to go berserk until it dies.

Zombify (Hex): Turns a living target into an undead. Could be useful when you have a weapon of holy wrath :)

Evil Storm (Hex): A Firestorm-like spell which decreases the attributes and/or skills of the targets.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 14:38

How about a companion to the Vampiric Draining spell, but instead of adding health, it increases your food counter, but you are subject to potential chunk effects?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 11:39

As a lesser degree on "conflict" hexes, why not the Bersekerization ? You make berserk any creature and attacks the closest foo it has around. It's similar to the enslavement but the monster fight capacity is higher and you cannot control it. Ideal to make havoc among hordes but not useful on single enemies.

EDIT

Death Sentence (Hex): Kills a living target after several turns. May cause the creature to go berserk until it dies.

Similar to mine, I really like the idea.

Return to Game Design Discussion