Unique proposal: Myrmecia, Champion of Formicids

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 9th April 2015, 11:37

Re: Unique proposal: Myrmecia, Champion of Formicids

Myrmecia is intended to be the mid-game equivalent of Sigmund or Rupert.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th April 2015, 14:48

sounds like something I would never, ever, fight in any circustances, but, again, most uniques are like that.
I'm liking this one a lot, though. sounds a little bit like (Mennas + Rupert)/2. and I can see people drooling for that CPA and Bardiche, and dying for it, and this is awesome.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th April 2015, 14:59

Hirsch: isn't the idea that sometimes you cannot avoid fighting her? :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 05:33

dpeg wrote:Hirsch: isn't the idea that sometimes you cannot avoid fighting her? :)
Situations where you cannot avoid fighting uniques are very rare, and situations where you cannot avoid uniques that don't appear in early D are so vanishingly rare they pretty much don't exist (I don't think I've ever seen one). Since most of Crawl's uniques are designed to never be anywhere near worth killing when you first find them, it would be pretty damn noticeable if "cannot avoid fighting" happened with any significant frequency after early D.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 07:35

duvessa: I kow, and xp has been improved recently (I still think that uniques should always provide semi-good items, just to make players more like itchy, e.g. Gastronok's hat should always be glowing). That Fo unique at least has a mechanic that's trying to be sometimes relevant, plus items that can be relevant occasionally.

But sure, odds are always stacked in favour of the player. Not good... need more dead players.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 08:02

dpeg wrote:Not good... need more dead players.

So it's not enough that we provide dead characters anymore? You're a true evil dev...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Rast

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 12:05

There are certain situations were it is almost impossible for a speed ten character to escape by running. If running fails, you can try to tele, but I have known her to cast stasis on the same turn as I read ?tele.

In this situation, she will dig through the wall diagonally right, and cut off your escape.
  Code:
#########
#........
#@#######
#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#.#
#M#

Like this
  Code:
#########
#......@.
#.#####M#
#.####.##
#.###.###
#.##.####
#.#.#####
#..######
#.#######

For this message the author Grudge has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 12:25

Grudge: That sounds great. Obviously, there will be future narrow-minded threads with topics like "Unavoidable Myrmecia death, !#%&"* just remove that dumb unique", but we have learned to transcend beyond such petty details. :ugeek:

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Hirsch I

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 12:48

Someone mentioned this earlier: it might be good to have stasis field, or dig, but not both. Might be too tough then.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 13:00

It is usually possible to eventually escape, as she has to use a turn to cast stasis, and you can get some distance away and escape when she does. Also, the areas that she spawns (Vaults, Elf, Snake, Spider) generally don't have lots of twisty corridors.

If you run long enough, there will be a time when you are not under stasis. At that point, you can read ?blinking and get away.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 13:16

Vaults has usually stone/metal walls, so dig won't do much there. Perhaps make it appear in Depths.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 13:44

like I said, I like her a lot! she will be hard to just dodge, will give a sweet reward if you kill her, is dangerous, and interesting in general. the problem is with uniques in general, not her.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 13:55

bel wrote:Someone mentioned this earlier: it might be good to have stasis field, or dig, but not both. Might be too tough then.

She also has a reasonable MR, so hexes can help out.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 19:36

The Myrmecia patch has been released on Mantis.

For this message the author Grudge has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 19:39

bel wrote:Vaults has usually stone/metal walls, so dig won't do much there. Perhaps make it appear in Depths.

Seconded on this point.
(We don't want another situation like we had with Jory usually spawning with silent spectres)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 20:05

That's a good point. I removed Myrmecia from Vaults.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 02:28

MarvinPA suggests that re-using Dimensional Anchor is simpler than adding a new Stasis Field spell/mechanic.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 12:51

I am not strongly opposed to dimension anchor, but I am in favor of stasis field because it also prevents and cancels haste.

Also, I noticed a bug in the myrmec branch: apart from amulets, monsters are only under stasis if they are formicids and in a stasis field.
  Code:
bool monster::stasis(bool calc_unid, bool items) const
{
    if (mons_genus(type) == MONS_FORMICID
        || type == MONS_PLAYER_GHOST && ghost->species == SP_FORMICID)

if (stasised(pos()))
        return true;

return actor::stasis(calc_unid, items);
}

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 15:23

I've tried Dimension Anchor + a permanent Leda's Liquefaction effect before. Make the unique immune to the liquefaction and it works okay. Stasis is better though.

MarvinPA suggests that re-using Dimensional Anchor is simpler than adding a new Stasis Field spell/mechanic.

I judge simplicity by how easy it is to understand something. "Stasis other" is simpler than "Dimensional Anchor" because the former does not require looking it up to figure out what the hell it does. If you want to simplify things rename anchor to "-Tele Other", and also rename all the other convoluted spell names that have been introduced these past versions.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 15:34

I think this unique should shout "OH YEAH!" whenever it comes into view by breaking through a wall.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks: 4
all before, CanOfWorms, grisamentum, njvack

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 16:43

pubby wrote:I judge simplicity by how easy it is to understand something. "Stasis other" is simpler than "Dimensional Anchor" because the former does not require looking it up to figure out what the hell it does.

Personally I have trouble believing that it's difficult to figure out that a spell that gives the "-Tele" status light, does, in fact, apply the -Tele status. The spell's description (which is directly linked to from the only place in-game you can see the spell name) also reads "This spell, if not resisted, blocks any translocations attempted by the affected target, be they voluntary or not.", which again seems relatively easy to understand to me. Certainly there are a bunch of pretty convoluted spells that exist, but I don't really think Dimension Anchor is one of them!

A formicid warrior with death scarab allies seems pretty weird flavourwise, to me.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 17:37

MarvinPA wrote:A formicid warrior with death scarab allies seems pretty weird flavourwise, to me.

My logic is that they are both insects. They are about the right toughness, and they make more sense than most other things of that toughness. It might be good to make the band only consist of boulder beetles.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 17:47

MarvinPA wrote:Personally I have trouble believing that it's difficult to figure out that a spell that gives the "-Tele" status light, does, in fact, apply the -Tele status. The spell's description (which is directly linked to from the only place in-game you can see the spell name) also reads "This spell, if not resisted, blocks any translocations attempted by the affected target, be they voluntary or not.", which again seems relatively easy to understand to me.

Difficult? No. It's mostly just unnecessary and slightly inconvenient. It's akin to programming with identifiers like "std::wcrtomb" or "std::atoll" and expecting to know what they mean at a glance.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 20:04

Does dimensional anchor negate also slow, haste and fast movement? (I was under the impression that it only prevented teleportation, and was subject to a MR check)

I was also under the impression that one of the intentions with this unique was that stasis be a field, so that it both bypassed MR, and suppressed the some of the more conventional ways of getting away (i.e. walking away while haste/swiftness)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 20:29

Siegurt, you are correct on that point except for the fact that stasis does not prevent swiftness.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 04:41

Grudge wrote:Siegurt, you are correct on that point except for the fact that stasis does not prevent swiftness.

Hm, I don't know why I thought it did, I should totally be using swiftness on my formacid characters

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 07:06

For a good period they couldn't cast it, maybe you never realize the change?
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 08:27

duvessa wrote:Situations where you cannot avoid fighting uniques are very rare, and situations where you cannot avoid uniques that don't appear in early D are so vanishingly rare they pretty much don't exist (I don't think I've ever seen one). Since most of Crawl's uniques are designed to never be anywhere near worth killing when you first find them, it would be pretty damn noticeable if "cannot avoid fighting" happened with any significant frequency after early D.
Tomb: 3 -> Khufu, Mennas, Saint Roka. [Happened to me]. Was possible to avoid them; sure; but not avoid them AND get the rune.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 20:31

mps wrote:I think this unique should shout "OH YEAH!" whenever it comes into view by breaking through a wall.

Rename to Balrog, all quotes are "OH YEAH!" and "HUZZAH!"
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 20:34

it would also burrow from the floor above on top of you when shouting "HUZZAH"?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 23rd April 2015, 01:59

Comes with a unique called "Misery", chance that Misery self-banishes and turns Balrog into a frog
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th April 2015, 17:20

MarvinPA wrote:Personally I have trouble believing that it's difficult to figure out that a spell that gives the "-Tele" status light, does, in fact, apply the -Tele status. The spell's description (which is directly linked to from the only place in-game you can see the spell name) also reads "This spell, if not resisted, blocks any translocations attempted by the affected target, be they voluntary or not.", which again seems relatively easy to understand to me. Certainly there are a bunch of pretty convoluted spells that exist, but I don't really think Dimension Anchor is one of them!

am I crazy or did dimensional anchor knock out phase shift at some point? it doesn't seem to now.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th April 2015, 17:57

PleasingFungus wrote:
MarvinPA wrote:Personally I have trouble believing that it's difficult to figure out that a spell that gives the "-Tele" status light, does, in fact, apply the -Tele status. The spell's description (which is directly linked to from the only place in-game you can see the spell name) also reads "This spell, if not resisted, blocks any translocations attempted by the affected target, be they voluntary or not.", which again seems relatively easy to understand to me. Certainly there are a bunch of pretty convoluted spells that exist, but I don't really think Dimension Anchor is one of them!

am I crazy or did dimensional anchor knock out phase shift at some point? it doesn't seem to now.

New monster spell: Dimension Anchor

This is a resistable hex (though harder to resist than average) which
prevents the target from teleporting or blinking while it lasts.

It also cancels the effect of phase shift and prevents recasting it for
the duration. Gameplay-wise, this seems less relevant, but when the spell
talks of anchoring you in space, it seems that another spell which causes
you to partially leave the plane you're on should also be blocked. I am
not strongly attached to this facet of the spell if people consider it
bad, though.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
PleasingFungus
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion