Eldritch tentacle peculiarity

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 16:26

Eldritch tentacle peculiarity

I recently ventured into a Vault:5 welcoming committee that included two ancient liches. One of them wound up summoning an eldritch tentacle, and I decided to leave back upstairs for the time being, figuring it would time out. When I came back later on, however, it wasn't timed out; instead it immediately paralyzed me and I got pummeled to the brink of death. I did survive and managed to clear the place eventually, but is that intended behavior? I realize that eldritch tentacles aren't summoned, but the nature of the spell definitely emphasizes that they should only survive for a brief period before getting hacked off at the portal and writhing to death. Should they expire while I'm off exploring some other branch?

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 16:50

Re: Eldritch tentacle peculiarity

I'm looking back over my character log, and it reminded me of the other odd detail here: the tentacle wound up sending me to the Abyss with one of its attacks, and when I got there I saw one of their "portals to somewhere". It was located in the same tile the tentacle was in relative to myself when I was banished, but it didn't have a tentacle attached to it. Is that intended behavior, or just some odd bug?
Last edited by Giant Orange Brainbow Dash on Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Giant Orange Brainbow Dash has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 17:15

I saw an "Eldritch tentacle" and "55 Eldritch tentacle segments" in the morgue from my last win, but I never noticed the tentacle while fighting it. I think it was in a vault in front of the zot entrance with lots of other nasty things, and I mistook it for a group of abominations. I wonder if they could use a different glyph to stand out more?

I would also expect the thing to time out, but I haven't seen many of them.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 17:18

Neither have I outside of Hell, and I normally don't visit Hell floors twice. The new lich spell sets are changing that though.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 23:40

It's supposed to time out.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 01:14

Giant Orange Brainbow Dash wrote:I'm looking back over my character log, and it reminded me of the other odd detail here: the tentacle wound up sending me to the Abyss with one of its attacks, and when I got there I saw one of their "portals to somewhere". It was located in the same tile the tentacle was in relative to myself when I was banished, but it didn't have a tentacle attached to it. Is that intended behavior, or just some odd bug?

When you get banished, the Abyss is generated with features that somewhat copy the area where you got banished from. Probably this inadvertently included eldritch portals when looking at terrain features to copy.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 01:16

Pro tip: lead banishers to abyss exits so that if they banish you the abyss copies the exit and you can leave

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Deimos

Return to Game Design Discussion