Change Wp to a Ranged Start

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 6th March 2015, 07:55

Change Wp to a Ranged Start

The Book of Spatial Translocations supports Ranged Combat much more than it does Melee (Apportation, Portal Projectile, etc.) and yet the player starts with a melee weapon. I propose keeping the spellbook the same, but changing the weapon choice to a ranged selection, like Hu and AM and focusing the start skills a bit more to support this.

In short change:

{+0 Melee Weapon of Choice, 5 Tomahawks of Dispersal}

to

{+0 Ranged Weapon of Choice (Shortbow, Hand Crossbow, Hunting Sling, Tomahawks), Medium stack of normal ammo (20 Arrows), Small Stack of Distortion Ammo (5 Arrows of Dispersal)}

Skill set of:
{2 Fighting, 2 (Melee Weapon), 1 Throwing, 1 Armour, 2 Dodging, 2 Spellcasting, 3 Translocations}

Would condense to:
{2 Fighting, 3 (Ranged Weapon), 3 Dodging, 2 Spellcasting, 3 Translocations}

And perhaps the Leather should also drop to a robe.

Warper isn't considered a strong start, but its skill total and amount of start items is rather high compared to a lot of other classes. [13 start skill is high; tomahawks of distortion are very rare and a big early help, etc.]

EDIT: Distortion -> Dispersal fix.
Last edited by bcadren on Friday, 6th March 2015, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
dolphin

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 6th March 2015, 08:14

Re: Change Wr to a Ranged Start

Distortion (the weapon brand) is an entirely different brand from dispersal (which is an ammo brand, found on arrows and tomahawks).
So really, just start them off with 5 shots of dispersal ammo, unless the implications are too disturbing.

Otherwise this is not a new idea, but neither is it one that shouldn't happen - since Wr is like AM except better but without the ranged start part which is dumb.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 9th March 2015, 14:16

Re: Change Wp to a Ranged Start

Giving them a bow would make them a hell of a lot better than Hunters.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 08:44

My concern with this is that it would make warper much less appealing for ghouls and trolls since you'd lose the option to go unarmed,
which is a shame because guaranteed access to blink is a real blessing for those brutes.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 22:15

comebackshane wrote:My concern with this is that it would make warper much less appealing for ghouls and trolls since you'd lose the option to go unarmed,
which is a shame because guaranteed access to blink is a real blessing for those brutes.

Yea, skill-less UC on a troll isn't that bad anyways with the +6 Slaying from the claws. Could edit to 5 Large Rocks and 5 Tomahawks of Distortion for their throw start if that's more appealing than a larger stack of javelins. Course, TrHu is a popular start just for the 5 large rocks, so...
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 22:33

comebackshane wrote:My concern with this is that it would make warper much less appealing for ghouls and trolls since you'd lose the option to go unarmed,
A launcher is probably better than 2 unarmed combat skill, even for ghouls and trolls.

bcadren wrote:Warper isn't considered a strong start
This is true if you're talking about tavern, not so much if you're talking about good players.

Apportation doesn't support ranged combat, and looking at the code I just discovered that portal projectile is actually just bad if you don't have spellpower (accuracy bonus is 1d(power/4)-1) and you don't because you're a warper. Shroud is a lot more important early game, so I don't think warper is more oriented towards ranged, at least any more than every other "melee" background is since ranged is better than melee.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Return to Game Design Discussion