<Monster> comes into view again

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th February 2015, 23:03

<Monster> comes into view again

I've lost many characters due to manual exploration.
Here is how - I have escaped from a dangerous monster by either teleport, blink, stairs or even by putting exclusion on a sleeping monster and when I continue exploring the level by using arrows I get no message for those monsters coming into view again.
Reading log and setting "force_more" is not enough (no messages are generated, I have just tested it in wizard mode with default init.txt), I have to look at "monsters in LoS" section or the whole surrounding after every move.
So I suggest for monsters to display "<Monster> comes into view again" when they enter LoS again, this can be hidden by default if you are concerned with message spam. I hope I will be able to create the patch if needed.

PS. Inspired by moving into a hydra around the corner as MuEn.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 8
and into, Brannock, crate, duvessa, Hurkyl, nago, Neon, Turukano

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th February 2015, 23:11

Re: <Monster> comes into view again

As a workaround, you should be manually exploring with safe movement like shift-dir or moving via x or X. Idea sounds fine though.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th February 2015, 23:20

crate wrote:As a workaround, you should be manually exploring with safe movement like shift-dir or moving via x or X. Idea sounds fine though.

Sometimes it is not enough unfortunately, I remember when I was manually retreating with unique in LoS and didn't notice a player ghost who was hard to notice visually.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th February 2015, 07:48

Unnoticeable ghosts are another problem, of course. I wonder if anything's going to be done about them.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th February 2015, 01:13

I created the patch but there is some message spam problem. When I retreat from a monster via zigzag corridor, the message is displayed often (every time when I hide behind a corner and then monster comes into view again). Is it ok? Or should I try to remember how many turns have passed since last time when the monster was in view and don't display the message if the number is less than or equal to new option, something like "turns_for_comes_into_view_again=10". (-1 can be default and would mean that no message is generated).

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 19th February 2015, 15:47

A simple hack would be to just remember the last monster for "coming into view again". And then suppress the message if it is less than 5 turns since you saw the monster. Takes care of the most common case which you mention. Otherwise you would have to remember all the monsters you saw earlier.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 19th February 2015, 16:20

i assume monsters have a flag that determines wheater it's their first time or not?

just reset monster "virgin" flag after they have been out of los for X turns should solve your issue i suppose?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th February 2015, 17:53

I think the best approach is to add a new flag for every monster and populate it with current turn number as long as the monster is in LoS. The flag doesn't even need to be saved, after loading a game players aren't expected to remember which monsters got out of LoS several turns ago.

Return to Game Design Discussion