ID trog/oka weapon gifts upon gifting

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 22nd February 2015, 21:24

ID trog/oka weapon gifts upon gifting

Unless this has changed between the version Im playing and trunk, I really don't see why the player should have to pick up a god gifted weapon to ID it first. The only instance I see this as potentially interesting is when the brand is distortion... But otherwise, idk, seems like more often than not, its a waste of time.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Glenstorm, grisamentum, mechanicalmaniac

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 22nd February 2015, 21:29

Re: ID trog/oka weapon gifts upon gifting

I learned that Trog can gift distortion the hard way

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 22nd February 2015, 22:54

comebackshane wrote:I learned that Trog can gift distortion the hard way

I had the same experience with Okawaru.

Yes, it would be much more convenient to have the gifts identified. As the OP said, it would be a slight buff due to distortion existing (and Contam I guess). But personally I'm all for it.

Also Sif's gifted spellbooks could be identified. Of course, they id on pickup anyway but if your inventory is full you have to drop something first. This adds tedium more than adds gameplay value imo.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 06:12

Now that item weight is gone, gifts should go directly to inventory if the player has a slot open.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 08:50

Rast wrote:Now that item weight is gone, gifts should go directly to inventory if the player has a slot open.

I proposed this a long time ago, and it was pointed out (correctly) that the player doesn't end up wanting 80-90% of gifted items. I'd suggest they are ID'ed, but stay on the ground.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 17:04

Without referring to any prior discussions on the topic, Im interested to find out whether or not the majority of Crawl players appreciate this special distortion brand case. I suspect the feelings are mixed.

Personally, I do not find the tedium of inventory management worth the potential (interesting?) case of banishment.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 18:18

Greyr wrote:Without referring to any prior discussions on the topic, Im interested to find out whether or not the majority of Crawl players appreciate this special distortion brand case.

I think disto in the god gift case is no more or less interesting than in the floor trash or acquirement case.

And in general, I think it's good.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 4
Greyr, mechanicalmaniac, nago, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 18:26

"Okawaru has given you a purple great mace" would be preferable to "Okawaru has given you a gift!" -> press ; to find out I'm standing on a stack, press g to get a list of what there is, find out it's a two-hander when I'm using a shield or a pile of tomahawks when I'm stocked up on javelins.

This is without adding the ID that is requested in this thread, which would also be welcome.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks: 8
Brannock, duvessa, Giant Orange Brainbow Dash, Greyr, nago, Sar, TeshiAlair, XuaXua

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 18:52

I like that the player has to take a step to ID the gift -- it's like taking off the wrapping paper. It creates a nice sense of anticipation. If we are going to have the battlegods automatically identify their gift weapons, it should be upon pickup, not upon gifting. In a conflict of flavour vs. convenience, convenience usually wins, but in this case, I do not think the inconvenience is significant enough to be favoured over flavour.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 18:58

Greyr wrote:only instance I see this as potentially interesting is when the brand is distortion...

Another thing is that you can get a gift in the middle of a fight. I remember wielding a weapon with some monsters in LoS because I really wanted an upgrade.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 19:17

Sandman25 wrote:
Greyr wrote:only instance I see this as potentially interesting is when the brand is distortion...

Another thing is that you can get a gift in the middle of a fight. I remember wielding a weapon with some monsters in LoS because I really wanted an upgrade.

I suppose this is similar to when players quaff ID potions mid-fight, and I can understand how that adds choice to the game, but isn't necessarily something that the player should do.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 21:35

When Oka/Trog gifts something, the player usually has to do this: drop something if inventory is full, pick up gifted item, wield the gift (or read ?identify on it), (usually) drop it because it's crap, wield old weapon, pick up dropped item if inventory was full.

Usually the player won't have enough identify scrolls to scroll-id all gifts, so most weapons must be wield-ided. Thus distortation gifts mean only that a few players will be sent into the abyss by their god (only 1/4 of the unwieldings cause banishment). I don't think that this small chance of Abyss trips is interesting enough to annoy all Oka/Trog followers. (If neccessary, spawn a bit more distortation weapons on monsters to compensate...)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 21:43

To be fair, most of the time the base type of the gift will be enough to dismiss it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 21:50

"Should I use a distortion weapon" is interesting enough on its own that losing "Should I risk wielding an unidentified gift that might be distortion" to streamline play doesn't sting much.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 23rd February 2015, 22:05

nagdon wrote:Usually the player won't have enough identify scrolls to scroll-id all gifts, so most weapons must be wield-ided. Thus distortation gifts mean only that a few players will be sent into the abyss by their god (only 1/4 of the unwieldings cause banishment). I don't think that this small chance of Abyss trips is interesting enough to annoy all Oka/Trog followers.

By the time I've accumulated a significant number of god gifts, I usually have a ton of ?identify. Using them on the small number of potentially viable god gifts is totally reasonable.

If your character with 17 points in long blades insists on wielding every vibrating mace Trog offers you, then "hope you like distortion" is pretty OK. I've been this guy.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Game Design Discussion