Spell proposal: Stasis field

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 22:56

Spell proposal: Stasis field

This spell emanates a stabilizing energy from the caster, fixing everything nearby firmly to its dimension, precluding all translocations save those that distort space itself. Nothing may teleport or blink into or out of the caster's vicinity, nor may any creature within be slowed or hasted. Attempting to do any of the above causes magical contamination. Apported objects will stop before entering the area of effect of this spell.

The stasis field starts out with a radius depending on power, which will then shrink, eventually covering only the caster, before the effect times out. Drinking a potion of cancellation immediately terminates all effects of this spell.

Type: Translocation
Level: ???

This will give new players a handhold against blinking enemies, and also make fighting them less tedious for advanced players.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 05:20

Re: Spell proposal: Stasis field

So an analogue for Silence. I like the idea.

Quite how will it deal with already hasted monsters? I would say letting them keep the status but not benifit from it would work best so that when the field decays the monsters still have haste and you cannot blink.

Also if it works like an aoe stasis how would spells like recall, portal projectile and passage work?

Another thought is how would it work with summonings? Would it stop their arrival, and maybe even enterance into the aoe? Kind of like a sanctuary against summons. Ranged summons would still be a threat.

Any reason it doesn't use hexes?

Just trying to get a feel for some of the specifics. Since depending on the answers to the above it may work better around lvl8-9 as a single school spell or similar to silence around lvl6-7 as a duo school spell. Or if it does ward off summons it may work as a lvl9 duo school spell, or possibly even as a tri school spell. It depends on how powerfull it is how usefull it is as well since you are hitting yourself with the same effects.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 07:05

Might be better as a monster spell? although possibly a little too nasty.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 13:48

I looked and saw that silence is Hexes/Air, so it makes sense that this should be Tloc/Hexes.

I was not imagining it stopping summoning, since summoning isn't directly related to the Tloc spell school. Besides, we have aura of abjuration for that.

I was imagining that it removed status like slow and haste. I was not imagining that it would block or remove sleep or paralysis like "stasis does.

I was imagining that stasis field would block portal'd projectiles both ways. Do you think you should be able to fire normally out of/into/through a field while under the PProj status?

Not sure about passage... should it destroy open ones within the radius or just prevent their use until the field dissipates?

I first thought of this spell while trying to fight a crimp as a DEFE. Not fun. Not much challenge at all, just hassle.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 14:03

I usually just grab a halberd off a gnoll for the purpose of whacking crimps.

As for the spell, I'd love it if it added a bit of chaos to the mix. Instead of just flat negating effects, mix them up instead. Hasted monsters are slowed! Slowed characters are hasted! Portal Projectile targets are randomly selected from the attacker's line of sight! Attempts to blink or teleport have a 50% chance of banishing instead (though I doubt that one'll fly too well; the devs probably don't want Lom Lobon to self-destruct anymore)!

For this message the author Giant Orange Brainbow Dash has received thanks:
mechanicalmaniac

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 15:31

I think that sounds like a great idea for another spell altogether -- "chaos effusion" or "reality flux" -- basically a Make Weird Shit Happen spell.

For this message the author mechanicalmaniac has received thanks: 2
chequers, Giant Orange Brainbow Dash

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 15:34

mechanicalmaniac wrote:I think that sounds like a great idea for a different spell altogether -- "chaos effusion" or "reality flux" -- basically a Make Weird Shit Happen spell.

Xom activatable ability: create a 3x3 chaos cloud centered on the player.
Comborobin Admin

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 15:37

Xom shouldn't ever passively kill you, but letting you actively kill yourself sounds right up his alley.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 02:02

aracanid wrote:Also if it works like an aoe stasis how would spells like recall, portal projectile and passage work?

In the case of recall, I was thinking it would stop that one, too, because the signal can't be sent out.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 06:32

mechanicalmaniac wrote:This spell emanates a stabilizing energy from the caster, fixing everything nearby firmly to its dimension, precluding all translocations save those that distort space itself. Nothing may teleport or blink into or out of the caster's vicinity, nor may any creature within be slowed or hasted. Attempting to do any of the above causes magical contamination. Apported objects will stop before entering the area of effect of this spell.

The stasis field starts out with a radius depending on power, which will then shrink, eventually covering only the caster, before the effect times out. Drinking a potion of cancellation immediately terminates all effects of this spell.

Type: Translocation
Level: ???

This will give new players a handhold against blinking enemies, and also make fighting them less tedious for advanced players.

I'm pretty sure that advanced players would never cast this spell, unless they were playing fo.

It's enormously detrimental to the player (like all stasis effects), and very rarely helpful. Monsters blinking around is generally more of an annoyance than an actual threat, and in any situation where monsters are actually threatening, it's more important to be able to haste/blink/teleport away than to shut down a fairly minor effect of theirs.

I can see it being situationally useful on fo, to shut down hasting monsters. That's about it.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 08:33

i might cast it on chei characters, if i played them

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 16:53

What if it blocked smithing from sources outside the field? Or even those inside it?
Might be better suited for a god ability thought.
A god of time and space /translocations god.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 22:09

PleasingFungus wrote:Monsters blinking around is ... an annoyance

Hence why there should be some way to deal with it.

I had this in mind as a very offensive spell, a spell to keep enemies from getting away. It's not a spell you would crack out in the middle of a fight with multiple red-named nasties.

Also, Lugonu's warp space would still work, as would Passage of Golubria, if it worked the same as "stasis.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 23:48

or! you could remove the annoying thing, instead of making players weaken their characters by learning a useless spell just to make the game less annoying

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 7th February 2015, 22:41

I think it would be more interesting if it punished effects that stasis blocks, e.g. any attempt at blinking deals damage to whatever tried to blink on top of blocking the blink; It would give Dispersal and Disjunction an offensive twist. Unfortunately it could easily become a tloc version of Ignite Poison, potent against a specific subset of enemies (smaller than Ignite Poison even) and mostly worthless outside.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 01:08

But Olgreb's + Ignite poison is basically a free ?immol against anything that's not poison-immune. This combined with dispersal/disjunction/tele other would be essentially the same thing, except it would work against all monsters.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 01:20

Ignite poison doesn't have the same effect as ? Immol, even remotely. ..
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 01:37

Siegurt wrote:Ignite poison doesn't have the same effect as ? Immol, even remotely. ..

Oh... oops. I thought it converted the poison status effect into inner flame.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 02:54

mechanicalmaniac wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Ignite poison doesn't have the same effect as ? Immol, even remotely. ..

Oh... oops. I thought it converted the poison status effect into inner flame.

Nope, just into fire damage :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 07:55

If it was available, I would use this spell against paralyzing enemies. The disadvantage would be that it wouldn't be cancelable (unless using a potion of cancellation presumably). The advantage would be that you wouldn't have to find an amulet of stasis to use it, and you could have stasis and clarity on simultaneously.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th February 2015, 20:06

Berder wrote:If it was available, I would use this spell against paralyzing enemies. The disadvantage would be that it wouldn't be cancelable (unless using a potion of cancellation presumably). The advantage would be that you wouldn't have to find an amulet of stasis to use it, and you could have stasis and clarity on simultaneously.

I wasn't imagining it blocking sleep, paralysis, or other physiological effects, just temporal and translocative ones, but if the spell would really be as useless as PleasingFungus is describing, maybe having it block those things would be a good idea.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 5th March 2015, 01:29

That's strange. I had mentioned the idea ("the idea," informally, of having Silence-like Stasis) in an S-Z tileschat a couple months ago ... with exactly the same name.

... but I'm glad someone posted it! (I wouldn't have thought to ...) :mrgreen:

The original motivation I had for the spell was dual: a utility (stasis is useful; applying stasis to enemies is situationally useful) and buff / debuff to the Distortion brand / translocations users. Currently, while the brand does excellent damage, it causes things to blink and/or teleport, which is annoying, even for Spriggans with polearms of distortion.

However, under Stasis, these movements don't happen, while the damaging effects do - as well as Banishment. So, any enemy in this field that you're whacking with a distortion weapon (preferably a quick blade with a spectral weapon) is going to get many, many chances of being banished, and is certainly going to be very gruesomely harmed by the crazy localized warping of space.

This is in exchange for sacrificing the use of many translocations and escapes - Blink, Controlled Blink, Haste, Paralysis (enemy), Teleport; the list goes on. It'd be a one way highway to the Abyss or ... death, for the participants.

For this message the author Hurricos has received thanks:
mechanicalmaniac

Return to Game Design Discussion