Ratskin cloak

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 19:42

Ratskin cloak

The last few versions of Crawl have seen a lot of bad artefacts getting the boot or receiving major overhauls, and for this I am grateful. How did the ratskin cloak (+1 cloak, rPois, rN+, -1 DEX, -1 INT) survive the culling? This thing strikes me as less exciting than a standard +1 cloak of poison resistance, as the stat costs are minor but still annoying and rN+ is a very underwhelming counterbalance. Has there been any talk of chopping or revamping this one?

For this message the author Giant Orange Brainbow Dash has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 20:06

Re: Ratskin cloak

1. Make it a +3 cloak.
2. Give it the property Smelly: makes you smell like an animal. +Stealth in Lair, -Stealth everywhere else.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 20:51

TeshiAlair wrote:Smelly: makes you smell like an animal. +Stealth in Lair, -Stealth everywhere else.

I do like the notion of unrandom artefacts having unusual and unique traits to make them stand out from just being Rather Nice Random Artefacts, but I'd like them to be a little more distinct or practical than just another negative trait for much of the game. Might as well throw my own idea out there...

Ratform (Evocable ability): "You momentarily become a rat and manage to scurry a short distance, unimpeded by most obstacles." Successfully activating it allows you to choose a space within two tiles of you, much like evoking a reach attack. You immediately move to that space, ignoring monsters, trees, statues, closed doors (but not runed closed doors), and pretty much anything else that isn't a wall, deep water, or lava. I rather like the idea of sneaking through a crack in a door and losing a herd of opposable thumb-less opponents behind me. The only really obnoxious thing about this I see is that perpetually evoking it would be optimal play (why ever move 1 tile while traveling when you can move 2???), so make it a rechargable evoker effect. Having an occasional micro-controlled blink seems like something I'd like to always have on hand.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 21:45

Makes enemy rats go berserk.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 22:03

Giant Orange Brainbow Dash wrote:Ratform (Evocable ability): "You momentarily become a rat and manage to scurry a short distance, unimpeded by most obstacles." Successfully activating it allows you to choose a space within two tiles of you, much like evoking a reach attack. You immediately move to that space, ignoring monsters, trees, statues, closed doors (but not runed closed doors), and pretty much anything else that isn't a wall, deep water, or lava. I rather like the idea of sneaking through a crack in a door and losing a herd of opposable thumb-less opponents behind me. The only really obnoxious thing about this I see is that perpetually evoking it would be optimal play (why ever move 1 tile while traveling when you can move 2???), so make it a rechargable evoker effect. Having an occasional micro-controlled blink seems like something I'd like to always have on hand.

Very funny idea. To balance it, you could be stuck in rat form for a couple of turns.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 22:14

there's a buttload of unrands and they almost never get removed, so how about just getting rid of ratskin cloak since it has no distinguishing features whatsoever

also what's the point of these existing:
blowgun of the assassin
"new" captain's cutlass
punk
finisher
trident of the octopus king
bullseye
flaming death (freezing death seems to have been removed)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 22:40

duvessa wrote:flaming death (freezing death seems to have been removed)

It sticky flames enemies. Also the dagger is chilly death, flash freezes enemies, and is still in.

e: okay maybe you're pulling an epic minmayism so you can segue into some long diatribe of "but what's the point of those features existing", but they do have distinguishing features.
Last edited by Arrhythmia on Thursday, 29th January 2015, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 4
cerebovssquire, duvessa, Haifisch, Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 22:43

Blowgun is no more and octotrident gets +1 slay for every octoking ring.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 22:47

I think bullseye is gone too.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 29th January 2015, 23:09

While I'm normally not the biggest fan of machete-hacking material out of the game, I do think it's kind of a let-down that so many unrands are unexciting. When I find Wyrmbane or the Cloak of the Thief, I'm thrilled, because I've suddenly got something that defines this current run as unique, with a new very powerful tool that's fun to play with. When I find Punk, I think either "Man I wish I had trained Slings" or "Man I wish I didn't already have a better self-enchanted greatsling." A lot of artefacts seem to fall into the category of normal weapons that also grant a little magic resistance, which is useful but boring. I say let the randarts cover all of that territory, and only let an unrand exist if it stands out as extraordinary and rule-breaking in some fun, useful way.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 00:30

Arrhythmia wrote:
duvessa wrote:flaming death (freezing death seems to have been removed)

It sticky flames enemies. Also the dagger is chilly death, flash freezes enemies, and is still in.
yeah my mistake re: chilly death, blowgun, shouldn't have trusted learndb about the blowgun still existing
i didn't know about the sticky flame/flash freeze because there's not really very much to suggest they exist if you don't try using the seemingly-boring weapon

Sar wrote:octotrident gets +1 slay for every octoking ring.
is it even possible for this to matter

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 00:55

duvessa wrote:i didn't know about the sticky flame/flash freeze because there's not really very much to suggest they exist if you don't try using the seemingly-boring weapon

Flaming Death: "A scimitar with a mysteriously smoking blade. Occasionally its heat leaks out, covering opponents in magical flame."

Chilly Death: "A dagger made of one huge shard of sapphire. It covers opponents in ice, slowing down their movement somewhat."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 01:12

yes that's why I didn't say there was nothing at all to suggest they exist
i definitely didn't read the flaming death description as indicating anything other than that it was a flaming weapon

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Barkeep

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 02:26

johlstei wrote:I think bullseye is gone too.

It is; it kind of sort of got merged with Gong.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 02:28

duvessa wrote:
Sar wrote:octotrident gets +1 slay for every octoking ring.
is it even possible for this to matter

Once, I got three rings of the octopus king, but didn't actually find the trident. And I wasn't playing an octopode.

So to answer your question, it almost mattered.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

For this message the author Lyrick has received thanks:
dolphin

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 09:10

duvessa wrote:is it even possible for this to matter

http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/runewalsh/morgue-runewalsh-20140817-160343.txt

A +16 trident of venom, man. A +16 trident! (Of venom.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 11:10

Only 700 Pan and Zig levels to find the set!

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 12:31

Sar wrote:
duvessa wrote:is it even possible for this to matter

http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/runewalsh/morgue-runewalsh-20140817-160343.txt

A +16 trident of venom, man. A +16 trident! (Of venom.)

Fuck the wyrmbane! And the turncount! That's a real m̶a̶n̶ squid weapon!
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 14:04

The best part is that bullseye was literally removed on duvessa's request (ok, a three-year-old devwiki post by him).

I agree that punk, finisher, and ratskin cloak can probably go. I tried to think of a cool idea for ratskin cloak based on "lesser dragonskin cloak" but it didn't really work. Flaming and chilly should get INSCRIPs so that their effect is immediately obvious. Blowgun and cutlass are pretty marginal, yeah.

And the octotrident is indeed still just a joke weapon, that is the point of it really.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 14:11

I like the idea of Finisher being a good weapon with a shitty type. I even used it once! It could probably be made better though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 14:14

Finisher was good and then speed brand got changed, rip.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 15:37

I like Finisher existing, and I'd rather spice it up than remove it. Punk definitely isn't necessary, and ratskin cloak either needs to get a lot more interesting or get out. I never got the point of the octoking trident and I'd prefer to either remove it or make it conceivably interesting somehow (reaching distance = number of octo rings?).

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 15:42

Probably more close to a gdd proposal than a good one, but how giving finisher a not risible (10-20%) to instantkill living enemies, plus full vamp effect in that case.
Or, as active effect, an AoE (full los or cleaving) that deal heavy damage and vampirize the living creature and exhaust and heavily drain the char.

You know...scythe, Death, ...
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 16:52

Lasty wrote:I like Finisher existing, and I'd rather spice it up than remove it. Punk definitely isn't necessary, and ratskin cloak either needs to get a lot more interesting or get out. I never got the point of the octoking trident and I'd prefer to either remove it or make it conceivably interesting somehow (reaching distance = number of octo rings?).

octoking trident has a tentacle on the other end from the trident, extra ring slot, macabre finger style

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 17:11

10 rings on a fully equipped Octopode? Should there then be 10 rings of the Octopus King? Like October is the tenth month?

A second amulet slot would be more valuable. But then the thing should probably lose rElec.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 17:21

jejorda2 wrote:10 rings on a fully equipped Octopode? Should there then be 10 rings of the Octopus King? Like October is the tenth month?

A second amulet slot would be more valuable. But then the thing should probably lose rElec.

make the points of the trident tentacles, three extra ring slots

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 20:46

basil wrote:
duvessa wrote:i didn't know about the sticky flame/flash freeze because there's not really very much to suggest they exist if you don't try using the seemingly-boring weapon

Flaming Death: "A scimitar with a mysteriously smoking blade. Occasionally its heat leaks out, covering opponents in magical flame."

Chilly Death: "A dagger made of one huge shard of sapphire. It covers opponents in ice, slowing down their movement somewhat."

Shillelagh.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 21:31

Giant Orange Brainbow Dash wrote:
TeshiAlair wrote:Smelly: makes you smell like an animal. +Stealth in Lair, -Stealth everywhere else.

I do like the notion of unrandom artefacts having unusual and unique traits to make them stand out from just being Rather Nice Random Artefacts, but I'd like them to be a little more distinct or practical than just another negative trait for much of the game. Might as well throw my own idea out there...

My turn!

Ratskin Cloak - a +1 cloak. Every time you kill a rat, it has a (1/current enchantment)% chance of gaining +1 enchantment.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 21:47

grisamentum wrote:
Giant Orange Brainbow Dash wrote:

My turn!

Ratskin Cloak - a +1 cloak. Every time you kill a rat, it has a (1/current enchantment)% chance of gaining +1 enchantment.

i like this idea, make it work like wyrmbane, expect you need to kill more and higher hd rats and it caps out at +4. it starts out at +1 and there are 3 rat types in the game. sounds reasonable? id also ditch the stat maluses, they dont mean anything and look like shit in the item description
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 22:46

Ratscumming?
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, xentronium

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 00:21

TeshiAlair wrote:1. Make it a +3 cloak.
2. Give it the property Smelly: makes you smell like an animal. +Stealth in Lair, -Stealth everywhere else.

Heh. My mind went to almost the exact same places as you, though in completely different ways.

I also thought of just improving it slightly. Though, in my mind it would become +2 with rN++, but it's the same basic idea.

My second thought was that it should affect stealth. After all, rats are essentially mice, and mice are known for their quietness. So just slap on an increase to stealth and be done with it.

Though, I sense that I'm in the minority in terms of not expecting unrands to be all that fancy. I see them as more for flavour than anything else. If they're not powerful or are uncompatiable to my build, it's hardly the end of the world.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 01:32

duvessa wrote:there's a buttload of unrands and they almost never get removed, so how about just getting rid of ratskin cloak since it has no distinguishing features whatsoever

also what's the point of these existing:
blowgun of the assassin
"new" captain's cutlass
punk
finisher
trident of the octopus king
bullseye
flaming death (freezing death seems to have been removed)

robe of augmentation
bloodbane

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 01:38

robe of augmentation and bloodbane are at least strong, so they are about as interesting as all the other generic good item unrandarts: prune, spriggan's knife, zonguldrok, wrath of trog, autumn katana, bow of krishna sharnga, morg, skullcrusher, glaive of the guard, arga, eos, storm bow, doom knight, dragon king, flash, starlight, dyrovepreva, alchemist, bear spirit, ignorance, mask of the dragon, fencer's gloves, gauntlets of war, salamander hide, shield of resistance, zhor, cekugob, four winds, shielding, robustness, shaolin, mage, octopus rings

whereas trident of the octopus king and +5 captain's cutlass, in addition to lacking a silly gimmick, are shit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 03:05

I think the captain's cutlass can disarm enemies now.

Re the ratskin cloak, an idea: It's foul and disgusting and creatures are occasionally repulsed by it. Provides an effect similar to warding, in that monsters attacking in melee will occasionally flinch away instead of attacking, but instead of targeted against summoned creatures, it affects wildlife -- i.e. creatures of natural holiness and animal or less intelligence. So, it'll work well in the early dungeon or Lair branches, but afterwards you might as well ditch it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 03:07

ok sorry, i take it back again. captain's cutlass does not lack a silly gimmick

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
wheals

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 12:53

I think it's 100% fine for unrands to not have flashy gimmicks.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 18:14

Shard1697 wrote:I think it's 100% fine for unrands to not have flashy gimmicks.

This
And some of them have some rally nice flavor so it's always sad to see them removed.
One of the things is enjoyed the most as a new player were the flavor text related to items/unrands and unique monsters.

I will always much rather see a unrand generate on the place of normal/randart items, even if that unrand is completely useless.

For this message the author KittenInMyCerealz has received thanks: 2
BobIsDead, TeshiAlair

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 2nd February 2015, 16:22

The ratskin cloak should spawn friendly spectral rats (and river rats and hell rats) when you take large amounts of damage, perhaps using a formula similar to Dith's fog bleeding.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 17:16

Speaking of artifacts with no unique effects, is the Glaive of Prune still around? It is kinda hilarious the first time you find it, but an artifact that's unique property is "Zin doesn't like it" is kind of silly. Though I guess it was also one of the original LinleyCrawl artifacts.

For this message the author milski has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 17:31

Does it also turn the player's white @ to a blue @?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 17:32

I am a filthy tiles heathen.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 17:48

I agree, but here's the argument against it. If an unrand is merely a good item that could plausibly be generated by other means, then it's not bringing anything new to the table, thus you might as well remove it and let random generation do its thing. This argument clearly makes a lot of sense, but there were plenty of uncomplicatedly good "boring" unrands that I would always be very happy to see (e.g. old Alchemist.) I would typically get more of a kick finding some trusty old friend than getting an unusually good roll on a randart (although I like those too.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 22:37

I find new alchemist more boring than old alchemist.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 01:00

milski wrote:Speaking of artifacts with no unique effects, is the Glaive of Prune still around? It is kinda hilarious the first time you find it, but an artifact that's unique property is "Zin doesn't like it" is kind of silly. Though I guess it was also one of the original LinleyCrawl artifacts.

Heh, I remember the couple of times I found it I didn't dare to use it because I was afraid of turning to a prune.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 01:39

ackack wrote:

I agree, but here's the argument against it. If an unrand is merely a good item that could plausibly be generated by other means, then it's not bringing anything new to the table, thus you might as well remove it and let random generation do its thing. This argument clearly makes a lot of sense, but there were plenty of uncomplicatedly good "boring" unrands that I would always be very happy to see (e.g. old Alchemist.) I would typically get more of a kick finding some trusty old friend than getting an unusually good roll on a randart (although I like those too.)
I consider Ratskin cloak to be one of these, honestly. Obviously it's not super powerful but early on I will always be glad to get both rPois and rN in the same slot.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 07:38

Shard1697 wrote:I consider Ratskin cloak to be one of these, honestly. Obviously it's not super powerful but early on I will always be glad to get both rPois and rN in the same slot.

I've never seen the cloak but early on rN is only very marginally useful (draining attacks are rare). I would probably wear it if I didn't have other sources of rPois but would definitely switch to a regular cloak of poison resistance if I found one (and could enchant that to +1).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 09:04

Sprucery wrote:
Shard1697 wrote:I consider Ratskin cloak to be one of these, honestly. Obviously it's not super powerful but early on I will always be glad to get both rPois and rN in the same slot.

I've never seen the cloak but early on rN is only very marginally useful (draining attacks are rare). I would probably wear it if I didn't have other sources of rPois but would definitely switch to a regular cloak of poison resistance if I found one (and could enchant that to +1).

if your ev is low the drain can stack very rapidly and it indeed happens. under such cricumstances its good to have a pip or two of rn
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Return to Game Design Discussion