Unwanted unarmed attack warning

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th January 2015, 20:19

Unwanted unarmed attack warning

I suggest to provide a way to confirm stupid unarmed attacks. My current character has 20 in M&F but still I unintentionally attack with UC 0 sometimes (after trying a weapon and forgetting to switch back to my weapon).
I think there are several ways to achieve it:
1) new option in RC/init.txt.
1a) uc0_attack_warning = true, gives a warning with UC 0 attacks
1b) uc_attack_warning = n, where n is skill level of UC after which you stop getting the warning (for example, setting it to 1 or 2 would allow book background to use UC without the warning)
2) new inscription. There is no weapon to label but probably body armour (or amulet since we have Op) can be used instead. Or maybe item in slot "a".
3) item slot "a" contains melee weapon (including staff).
Of course the warning will be given only once, similar to how it is done for "!a" inscription.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
XuaXua

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 02:42

Re: Unwanted unarmed attack warning

If I ever make headway on that confirmations interface patch, or someone else picks it up, it could be a simple toggle for you to select.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 21:27

I think what I want is: Warn when UC skill is not your highest melee weapon skill, automatically disable it when in forms. I'm sure any number of things would be better than the status quo. (Inscribing your fists is pretty elegant imo.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 21:29

johlstei wrote:I think what I want is: Warn when UC skill is not your highest melee weapon skill

That's not good. What if you aren't carrying an equivalent weapon?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 21:41

XuaXua wrote:
johlstei wrote:I think what I want is: Warn when UC skill is not your highest melee weapon skill

That's not good. What if you aren't carrying an equivalent weapon?

You've trained a melee weapon skill, want to sometimes use melee attacks, haven't trained unarmed as much as said weapon skill, and still you don't want to bother holding a weapon of the type you've trained? That seems like it'd be a pretty rare situation and I'd advise anyone in it to go pick up a weapon of that type. I guess maybe you just switched to TSO all your good weapons are draining/pain/vampiric? If I found myself in this situation I think it would be much more likely that I dropped the weapon in error than it's what I wanted. Nonetheless, it'd be an simple exception to add if it were deemed necessary.

I also don't think it should be every unarmed attack, just the first one until you switch. Nonetheless, I guess this theory-character could also be switching to a staff of earth or something in between unarmed attacks.

I think a bigger issue is that there may well be a point in which unarmed becomes better than a weapon skilled higher than it. A ceiling after which you can freely use unarmed is probably warranted.

Return to Game Design Discussion