Bug or intentional?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 00:19

Bug or intentional?

I've noticed that dazzling spray seems to hit/confuse me when I shoot it at a corner, but not at any other time, i'd say the ray is bouncing, but it doesn't seem to be bouncing at any other time:

Situation:
  Code:
##
##g
 g@
###

In order to hit both goblins I aim at X:
  Code:
##
#Xg
 g@
###

Result, the two goblins *and myself* get hit by dazzling spray, sometimes confusing me.

I suspect this is some SquareLOS related bug (range problems or something)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 00:21

Re: Bug or intentional?

There's a kind of wall that reflects some beams; green crystal I think? Are the walls you're testing on made of that? I don't know if it reflects Dazzling Spray, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 00:22

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 00:51

Siegurt wrote:I suspect this is some SquareLOS related bug (range problems or something)

No, it's always done that. I think it always bounces one square if it hits a wall but you never notice except in that situation. If you look carefully the targeter will highlight your own square in the line of fire.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 01:02

Long-known, standing bug.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 01:27

Interesting, Doing a little more experimentation with it, it also happens when you fire directly into an adjacent wall (which isn't something that you'd typically want to do)

But even *more* interesting, is that magic dart, IMB, *but not searing ray* all appear to target your own square when firing point-blank into a wall or corner, although none of those actually hit you.

Additionally they all also target you (and dazzling spray actually hits you) if you fire *one offset* from a point blank wall, in a way that wouldn't bounce off and hit you (Even if it was a bouncing ray)

So aiming at X:
  Code:
###
 @
##X

will still target you.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 17:38

This was around before square los, although I never knew it had to do with corners or walls. It's only happened to me once or twice, but it's good to know what to avoid in the future.

FR: While the root cause is being worked on/discovered, provide a prompt for situations in which this bug would happen.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 19:23

dowan wrote:FR: While the root cause is being worked on/discovered, provide a prompt for situations in which this bug would happen.

suspect this would be harder than just fixing it

Return to Game Design Discussion