Feature Request: Toggle Warnings

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th January 2015, 14:41

Feature Request: Toggle Warnings

In the end-game of my wizard characters, I often walk through elemental clouds without worry, except that it's always triggering the confirmation. There should be a way to include selected clouded areas with normally traversable terrain if the player so chooses, in effect turning off the warning for certain cloud types voluntarily, as rPois does involuntarily for poison clouds. It would also make autoexplore more useful, since leaving, say, cold clouds over an area will prevent 'o' from getting to it no matter how much time has passed since you were last in that area, forcing one who wishes to fully explore to either wait out all such clouds (tedious), manually confirm that one wants to enter the cloud and then press 'g' to get whatever's there since autopickup won't work (tedious), or manually navigate using the map to find previously clouded area and revisit them (tedious). In short, a simple option to negate such warnings based on terrain type would relieve a whole lot of tedium for the exploratory types.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th January 2015, 14:55

Re: Feature Request: Toggle Warnings

Expanding on this, how about a selection screen like the autopickup selection screen, with different tiers and options for each, something like the following:

Confirmation options

Entering Clouds
- ice
- fire
- poison
+ chaos
+ miasma

Spell casting
- Susceptibility
+ Self-targeting

Misc.
+ etc.

Edit:

Traps
- teleport
+ pressure plate
+ Zot
+ shadow

Also, the +/-selections are just examples of a personally modified list, and all should be + by default, as they are now. (tele traps are nothing to Fo, for example.)
Last edited by Aule on Friday, 16th January 2015, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th January 2015, 14:59

Also, if an expert would list the probable affected files for such an implementation, I would volunteer to write and submit a prototype for the proposal.

Edit: Yeah, this is probably a big deal that will affect about half of the source code. :(

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 16th January 2015, 16:41

I think that's a reasonable idea. Possibly all the toggles could fit on one screen?
If other devs agree, this might become an implementable...

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
Aule

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 17th January 2015, 02:35

I am in favour of an implementable. We have a wizmode-only way to disable confirmations, but there is no granularity and it misses some things.
If you search for DIS_CONFIRMATIONS that will at least give you a place to start. I think this information (which things are disabled) should be stored in Options, and there should be a way to control it from an rcfile in addition to the menu. Unlike autopickup, I think there is no need to have the two be separate: the menu can modify the very same data structure set from the rcfile.

I'd start by making an enum for the different disables you need, then using a FixedBitVector in class game_options to store which ones are disabled and which aren't, then making a data structure to hold both menu and rcfile names (presumably the version you write in the rcfile would be shorter than what's in the menu, use _ instead of space, etc). Then it's mostly a matter of functions to set, clear, and query the disables; possibly Lua wrappers; and a menu and keybinding.

For this message the author neil has received thanks:
Aule

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 17th January 2015, 03:28

I like this idea a lot +1.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Return to Game Design Discussion