Druids for starting class?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 19:43

Druids for starting class?

I doubt this will make it in, but I thought it would be a fun background and I would definitely play it.

Basically, a ranged class that worships Fedhas. Starting skills would be a small amount of invocations, a small amount of whatever ranged weapon skill that race specializes in (Bows for Centaurs, Slings for Halflings, etc) and maybe a level in dodging. They could start the game with some sultanas/grapes, their ranged weapon of choice (and a small amount of ammo), and a robe.

Nothing fancy, basically a hunter with lower starting skills, but with the ability to worship Fedhas right out of the gate.

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 31st December 2010, 18:38

Re: Druids for starting class?

No one else thinks this would be a fun starting background? It's flavorful, and it's more interesting than some of the other ones...(looking at you Healer aka background that could be rolled into Priest)

It's definitely a fun, unique playstyle. Use sunlight to increase the accuracy of your ranged attacks, set up deep water or plants as a barrier between you and the enemy while you pelt them sling bullets/arrows/spores/oklob blasts.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 31st December 2010, 23:03

I've never played Fedhas so I can't comment.

I wouldn't mind being able to start with -any- god. Here's an idea - let the Priest class choose any god they want from the entire pantheon. You get crappy equipment, some generic skills, but can start with the god of your choice.

For this message the author danr has received thanks:
angrykoopa

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 05:21

I'd play one. I almost always convert to Fedhas as soon as I get to the Temple anyway.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 05:48

I think it's a bad Idea to make druid as a Hunter with Fedhas, current religious classes are not like that. Paladin is the only way to start with long blades, Berserkers is the only way to start no shield\no unarmed combat fighter. Priests is the only way to start with staves. Healers is the only fighting but no weapon skill start

What should be good is Druid worshiping Fedhas and starting with new spellbook. Something like

Sting
Summon small mammals
Swiftness
Sticks to Snakes
Spider Form
Enslavement

Balanced stats. Starting skills - Fighting, unarmed, dodge, stealth, spellcasting , invocations and I like it. Equipment Robe, fruits, Bow\sling\crossbow\rocks\javelins (no\little skill in it so you can choose between that and Sting). It will be the only spellcasting religious class and it's good. Also it'll have tons of ways to develop

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 07:36

There's a "tame beasts" spell that's a bit more thematic than enslavement.

However, I'm guessing a class that starts with a god AND spellcasting is a non-starter.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 08:42

tame beasts was removed

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 17:56

And as far as I know, the plan is actually to reduce the number of classes that start with a god. It makes Crawl's first big milestone (making it to the Temple) rather meaningless if you can just start with any god. There's some proposals on the wiki, anyway.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd January 2011, 23:01

Interesting. I think in that case it would almost make sense to not have ANY starting gods.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 3rd January 2011, 23:10

No; see the wiki page for details (I do not feel like writing them out).

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 14:31

Ah, I did not know about the plan to reduce starting gods for classes. Oh well.

Return to Game Design Discussion