Spider Form Proposal: Webs and "suck"

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 21st April 2011, 23:37

Spider Form Proposal: Webs and "suck"

i think i read in the brainstorming section that spiders can "cling" to walls and such, there being able to pass dangerous terrain such as deep water or lava by clinging to walls?

however, i think there should be more to spider forms, than just "bite, poison, and run" tactics.

spider can usually cast webs, thus trapping their prey.
much like the gladiator nets, except stickier.

i propose the ability to cast spider webs.
its effect will be the same as throwing a net.
the ability can be used to cast on enemies directly, or set an invisible trap on a clear tile, much like a throwing net trap.

if the enemy is trapped in it, it can only hack and slash the net, and cannot attack anything adjacent to it(because its stuck in the web).
there should be probably 3 levels of webbing. casting web over the same area increases the "stickyness" of the web.
its takes more damage to destroy the web to free themselves, if the "stickyness" level is higher.

of course, this ability will be a breath ability, with cool down, costing food.

larger enemies can destroy the web easily, but smaller enemies will have a hard time, (ie, killer bees, blowflies etc)

another ability that i saw was suggested before is the ability to "suck". spiders suck the blood off insects, much like vampires. they should be able to gain nutrition from dead insect corpses, regardless if its poison or contaminated, however, they can refuse to suck warm blooded animals, since they would prefer insect juices, rather than the blood of other species.

thus the gameplay for the spider form would have an added advantage over single enemies, by webbing them and immobilising them for a few turns, giving a chance to poison them. the webbing tactic can also be used to slow down fast enemies as you try to escape (like being chased by a wasp) wihle being very low on health.
at the moment, when playing transmuters, i rarely use spider forms, since all it does is play like a spriggan with a poison dagger.
adding the webs, and the ability to gain nutrition from dead insects would greatly add to the flavour and appeal of spider forms.

For this message the author barasia has received thanks: 2
dolphin, pratamawirya

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 22nd April 2011, 05:52

Re: Spider Form Proposal: Webs and "suck"

Spider form is a very useful form already and surely doesn't need any buff, but I like all this additions IF they will add when spellpower become very high when transmutes switch to more powerful forms

Ideally - low power = only increased speed and wall clinging, then poison attack, then webs

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 22nd April 2011, 08:39

I like the web idea. Allowing it only at high spell power could be a good way of balancing it.
I don't like the idea eating dead insects. Forms shouldn't change the character's diet. Spriggans could use the form just to eat meat for example.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 22nd April 2011, 10:07

I don't like the idea eating dead insects. Forms shouldn't change the character's diet. Spriggans could use the form just to eat meat for example.

It should not necessarily work for herbivores - they can suck the blood but it won't be digested at all. Same effect as quaffing a potion of blood.

But any animal form should have some way of providing a food for itself; it is just ridiculous that you have to switch back from it to butcher the corpses.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 7th May 2011, 14:45

I was to post the spiderweb idea but I found it here. +1

As a suggestion -and not knowing yet the spiders abilities- some of the new spider species should be able to produce webs, either throwing them to you or making a sticky terrain.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 7th May 2011, 19:56

What about implementing webs as a sort of trap? If you trigger the trap you get entangled like in a throwing net but in addition one or more spiders are summoned that immediately start assaulting you.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 8th May 2011, 20:05

I am not sure about this idea at all, but if you'd go there, it should start with a new trap type "web" and some (not all!) spider monsters being able to generate it. Whether player spiders can use that effect and how should be secondary.

Return to Game Design Discussion