Shadow Traps

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 13:22

Re: Shadow Traps

Having the summons vanish on killing the monster that stepped on it was already mentioned(wrt death scarabs), but that doesn't do anything to fix the other kind of trap Tomb 2 is filled with. How exactly are you supposed to deal with a death scarab randomly moving at high speed unto tiles which very often contain Zot traps? The shadow traps there are bad enough because every time a scarab randomly hits one you just go back up the stairs and mash 5 a bit, but Zot traps can do lasting harm to your character via mutations, they can paralyze or petrify you, they can drain you or your wand's charges...

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 06:37

The main thing for me is that fighting summons is not fun, because there's no reward. That's why I feel that the change which made summons disappear when the summoner was killed was such a big deal - it meant that you had to fight far fewer summoned things.

I think shadow traps would be great if they worked so that you could dismiss the summons in some way.
For example: the trap activates once it appears in LOS, and the summons are dismissed and the trap is destroyed once you step on the trap tile. You might even get a bit of XP for the effort.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 06:43

I will say that shadow traps make carrying around an amulet of warding more appealing.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 13:06

Noted recently these things become 'dormant shadow trap' when stepped on now. Doesn't seem to last very long though...

Code:
 Shadows whirl around you...
 A dire elephant comes into view.
 The red ugly thing gurgles horribly! x5
_The cyan ugly thing gurgles horribly! x4
 There is a dormant shadow trap here.
 You blink. The air elemental misses you. The air elemental barely misses you.
 You block the air elemental's attack.
 The air elemental hits you but does no damage.
_The cyan ugly thing bites you. The cyan ugly thing shocks you. You resist.
 You blink. Shadows whirl around you...

Blinked off the trap, then blinked right back onto it and it fired again. This working as intended?

edit: occurs to me now that this might be a 'batty' fix to stop multiple triggers in a single move
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th February 2015, 15:30

It is that, yeah (they're disabled for 2-4 turns apparently).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
celem
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion