New Monster: Sloth

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 19:10

New Monster: Sloth

While there are a plethora of monsters which already fit into the lair, a sloth could act similar to a troll except with a harder hit and slower speed. It would be a nice addition because the only other slow monsters in the lair are the various insects (snails and beetles). It would be a diverse monster which is powerful however does not come in packs. They could also possess a sleep spell which would make them incredibly dangerous.

HP: 90-120
HD: 12
XP: 950
Speed: 7
AC: 6
EV: 14
MR: 70
Attack: 30 (claw: plain)
Max Chunks: 4
Type of Meat: Normal
Resistances: None
Vulnerabilities: None
Habitat: Land
Intelligence: Normal
Uses: Uses nothing
Holiness: Natural
Size: Medium
Warm-blooded

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 19:33

Re: New Monster: Sloth

Slow monsters aren't very popular in design these days since the easiest way to defeat a slow monster is "walk away". It would, at the very least, need something to keep players from easily walking away, and torpor snails already are a recent monster that fills that niche.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 20:53

most of the slow monsters on lair got removed because they can be defeated by hit and run strategies... and the sleep aspect of it is pretty much what the basilisk does except that you wake up once being hit and become immune to it afterwards...

it would be hard to fit a new monster in lair considering the already big variety we have, if i were to think of something it would be a slow monster with a ranged attack...
You shall never see my color again.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 21:04

I thought we were working to remove pointless monsters, not add to them.

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 01:31

Here's an idea: What if sloth was a monster that spawned hiding in trees, sort of like an arboreal trapdoor spider. This would make it really neat for some of the forest vaults, since those enclosed spaces make its slowness less of an issue as you can easily be trapped.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 05:19

TeshiAlair wrote:Here's an idea: What if sloth was a monster that spawned hiding in trees, sort of like an arboreal trapdoor spider. This would make it really neat for some of the forest vaults, since those enclosed spaces make its slowness less of an issue as you can easily be trapped.

Thats a nice way to punish players for no reason.

But seriously, right now we have to deal with the just implemented shadow traps that spawn branch related mobs all around you(its like early zot traps) we dont need and dont want more stuff popping on our asses i believe...
You shall never see my color again.

Return to Game Design Discussion