Enslavement/god interaction

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 03:06

Enslavement/god interaction

Currently if you try to enslave a monster that is disliked by your god in any of a few ways (wrong holiness or simply has an evil/fiery/spell ability) and pass the MR check, it will fail anyway and give the ridiculously obtuse message "The [monster] is repulsed!"
I think this restriction is very spoilery and probably bad even if you give it a useful message:
- it's not very consistent: good gods won't let you enslave a monster with an evil spell, but are fine with letting you enslave a monster with an evil item such as a vampiric weapon or wand of draining; TSO is fine with letting you enslave monsters with poison stuff
- it's very difficult to know whether a monster is evil or not without spoilers, especially since monsters with multiple spellbooks could only sometimes be evil (or fiery!), also it's another piece of completely uninteresting data for players to keep track of
- if you remember it exists, it has almost no gameplay effect (and if you don't know about it then you maybe die trying to enslave Nessos with the wrong god, and that's about it)

It makes sense for good gods to object to enslaving demonic/undead monsters since they actually consistently hate them, but this is not really the case for any of the other restrictions - you aren't given any reward for killing evil monsters, Dithmenos doesn't care if an enslaved monster possesses and uses a fiery item. Trog does more consistently dislike anything with an actual spell but I still find it quite unintuitive and difficult to remember; if they hadn't been removed I would point out that he was fine with you summoning spell-ful monsters with cards and rods.
If you want to keep the flavour you could even give good gods a blanket opposition to enslavement but I personally don't think that would be better for gameplay than removing the restrictions for things other than holiness. It's also a bit weird if they still allow summoning.

If the mechanical status quo is kept then it should at least be like pacifying mindless monsters where you are notified that it won't work and they aren't auto-targeted. (also that needs to happen for trying to hex magic immune monsters in general)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 12
and into, Arrhythmia, Bloax, Brannock, crate, Lasty, nago, One-Eyed Jack, rockygargoyle, Shard1697 and 2 more users

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 12:28

Re: Enslavement/god interaction

A really good point!

As often in such cases, the flavour can be argued both ways: say a Troggite enslaves a spellcaster -- while you could say that's something this god will dislike, you could also say that that's a glorious deed for Trog, enslaving pesky casters and using their silly tools against their friends.

In other words, I am fine with loosing the restrictions (as I tried to argue, I don't think that theme stands in the way). For those restrictions that we keep, the game should indeed bail out right away, just like pacification does.

Implementable?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 03:43

so I just learned that gods are fine with using phantom mirrors on these monsters
this is awful

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
amaril, crate, nago, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 9th January 2015, 21:55

I imagine that whoever coded phantom mirrors didn't know that god conducts were checked on enslaving monsters. Because I had no idea it was checked for, either, and I consider myself to be pretty familiar with crawl, but I've never heard of this. Granted I don't play many hexers, but still.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 06:29

How about just not restricting enslavement at all. If its not you doing it then the god shouldn't care. Its a simple solution, and its not like its an insanely critical limitation, its almost purely flavor based.

Sorry for the necro, but I felt like I had to say something.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
pumpyscump

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 12:12

One typically ends up killing the enslaved monster regardless, which your ^ should be happy about.
remove handsome distillation

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th May 2016, 20:15

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 3
crate, Shard1697, Tiktacy

Return to Game Design Discussion