Show success chance for Elyvilion pacification

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 27th December 2014, 08:21

Show success chance for Elyvilion pacification

Given that MR checks of all stripes now show their chance of success and Elyvilion's healing is functionally identical to an MR check, the probability of successfully pacifying a monster should be shown.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
Cheibrodos, duvessa, ManMan

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th December 2014, 08:28

Re: Show success chance for Elyvilion pacification

While I like the concept, this won't really work because it leaks monster max HP. Maybe change pacification to work off HD instead? By my understanding the MR check already leaks HD changes anyway.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 27th December 2014, 17:26

duvessa wrote:While I like the concept, this won't really work because it leaks monster max HP. Maybe change pacification to work off HD instead? By my understanding the MR check already leaks HD changes anyway.

The "% to affect" display is based on the monster type's base HD, not their current HD. (Likewise the "% to affect you" when looking at monster spell descriptions.)

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 06:22

PleasingFungus wrote:The "% to affect" display is based on the monster type's base HD, not their current HD. (Likewise the "% to affect you" when looking at monster spell descriptions.)
If that's desirable, we can use monster average MHP for this calculation (it's already calculated for sorting the monster pane).

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Lasty

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 15:16

I'm not sure lying to players is an improvement. It works for hexes since it is very unusual for a monster to have higher HD than the calculation expects; that's not the case with pacification.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 16:00

Wishlist for Elyvilon:

#1: Healer background goes away. Going all-in on invocations is a degenerate style that is not fun, and enabling it is the only reason to have that start rather than just having players pick up Ely at the Temple.

#2: Same-race bonus goes away. Maybe re-use Zin's Recite categories for pacification bonuses to tighten up the theme between the three 'good' deities and ensure that the player only has one classification scheme to memorize.

#3: Kiting a monster around spamming Lesser Healing at 5% odds is not desirable. One possible solution would be for there to be an improved chance to pacify against everything, but if a monster resists pacification once it is immune. Perhaps allow the player to choose to be extra-vulnerable for a time to get a substantial bonus to pacifications, for instance by channeling while the monster punches the player character in the face.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 28th December 2014, 18:00

There's also the option of getting rid of variable monster max HP.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:31

ely is a cool god, and i think the % success should be shown.
if that means changing how it works or how max hp works or whatever who cares.
maybe the changes are for the best anyway

also i think ely is a good starting god. they're ely, death guy, and trog, and xom.
can't remember if they're any more and xom doesn't really count unless it's your first week and want to try it or you need to win a ck

oh yeah there's lucy and zin but those sort of suck early on because banish eats so much piety i mean come on most things resist it anyway and there's a level 2 ice spell that does the same thing almost

if you get rid of ely as a starting god zin should be made less shit early on.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 23:29

Weren't death knights already removed?

This is OT but banishment is great and works marvelously well on anything "somewhat resistant" which is basically all of the things you want to banish in the early game. When you get banishment and a few levels of invocations you basically won (because there's also corruption for later use).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 00:36

As much as I'm for another round of abstracted video-game zealotry, I don't think deciding whether Chei could beat Okawaru in a fist-fight has much bearing on my proposal.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Cheibrodos

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 01:26

For anyone who can compile, there's a patch for this on mantis (if it applies).

e: never mind, that one adds the hex-style "barely resists" and such, though probably it might not be too hard to modify it to show percentages

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Game Design Discussion