New God: Wulndraste the Wayfarer (God of No Backtracking)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 12th January 2015, 15:55

Re: New God: Wulndraste the Wayfarer (God of No Backtracking

I won Wulndraste a char a couple of weeks ago.

The game did go fast (49k turns in 4 hours played rather leisurely) but was still rather difficult even given the fact that I was playing a GrGl.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 162924.txt

I had many of the same observations as the others so I won't reiterate those.

I tried a felid a couple of times and it felt almost impossible. Even TSO and Chei felid are easier then Wulndraste.
I also tried human a couple times and it feels like you need a pretty bad ass species to survive early Wulndraste especially if you get branches like Snake and Shoals.

An ability that I would have liked particularly for early Wulndraste is perhaps a "swiftness invocation" ability that uses piety and mp with out the after effect of -swiftness. I mentioned this on IRC but Lasty felt like it would increase kiting. Another option might be to lower the piety need for the "change scenery" and make another invocation ability at 5 or 6* that teleports all visible monsters away.

I guess the real issue is that certain species/combos at low level have a hard time not going immediately backup the stairs particularly stealthy types. Besides improved abilities I think maybe allowing "immediate" backtracking would fix this. That is if you go down the stairs and your next move is to go immediately back up the stairs then you will not incur Wulndraste wrath and maybe just some piety loss instead.... But if you step off the stair tile or I guess do something else on the level and try to go backup Wulndraste will be pissed.

I will say Wulndraste might just be one of the best abyss gods (second maybe to Ash and Zin). The blend-in and even change scenery were quite useful in the abyss. So maybe Wulndraste is good for extended but I was too lazy and sadly too bored to try. For some reason Wulndraste play isn't very exciting once your strong enough. I'm not sure why I found it boring.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 22nd January 2015, 11:40

What about a "peek into" ability to give a first glimpse of the next level just to be sure of which stair you want to go down?

You go down but you are undetected, if you move outside the stair or shout or attack, anything that is not going up the next action you lose that undetectability.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 22nd January 2015, 21:06

It seems a bit against the spirit of the god to allow you to check out the stairway before you go down.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion