Pain brand/Necromancy training

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 14:27

Pain brand/Necromancy training

I think it would be nice if having access to a pain-branded weapon allowed necromancy training, is there some reason why it doesn't?

Example: Okawaru gifts you a quick blade of pain, but the RNG has decided to not generate any necromancy spells anywhere.

Edit: replaced my original not-very-good-at-all example:
Spoiler: show
Okawaru gifted me the +9 quick blade of Noxkoso (weapon) {pain, +Blink Str+2 Dex-3 SInv}, but the only way for me to make use of the brand would be to learn Regeneration (the lowest necromancy spell I've found).
That would mean either raising spellcasting as well, or spending scrolls of amnesia to swap spells around (and temporarily walking around without one of the spells I'd actually like to have)
Last edited by rigrig on Thursday, 18th December 2014, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author rigrig has received thanks:
duvessa

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 14:35

Re: Pain brand/necromutation training

rigrig wrote:I think it would be nice if having access to a pain-branded weapon allowed necromancy training, is there some reason why it doesn't?

Okawaru gifted me the +9 quick blade of Noxkoso (weapon) {pain, +Blink Str+2 Dex-3 SInv}, but the only way for me to make use of the brand would be to learn Regeneration (the lowest necromancy spell I've found).
That would mean either raising spellcasting as well, or spending scrolls of amnesia to swap spells around (and temporarily walking around without one of the spells I'd actually like to have)

Do you realize that :
  • You were just gifted one of the best weapon you'll ever find in a 3 runes game
  • Regeneration is a good spell (I almost always learn it ASAP)
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

For this message the author mopl has received thanks:
nago

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 14:49

All the same, a pain weapon (and enhancer staves) should probably allow training the skills they use.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 17:34

I agree, typically you can always train something if it would give some effect, so pain weapons should allow training necromancy.(Whether pain weapons should exist is another question entirely)

Still, I can't imagine having access to regeneration and not memorizing it, especially if I intended to actually train necromancy.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 20:29

The OP gives a bad example (just memorize one of the most useful spells in the game to train necro for one of the best weapons I have ever seen), in order to support what is, I think, a reasonable conclusion. If you have access to a pain weapon, you should be able to train necromancy.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Boolean

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 20:34

I can't be the only one who saw the title of this thread and was very confused.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 20:35

wheals wrote:I can't be the only one who saw the title of this thread and was very confused.

You were not.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 20:35

PleasingFungus wrote:
wheals wrote:I can't be the only one who saw the title of this thread and was very confused.

You were not.

Fixed.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
PleasingFungus, rigrig

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 21:03

Sorry about that, seems I managed to get myself a bit confused while making this post. Well done all you peoples for still managing to make sense from a badly-titled post containing a not much better example ;-)

Return to Game Design Discussion