History of significant buffs & nerfs

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 15:29

History of significant buffs & nerfs

I'm just curious - I know that armour was nerfed in 0.6, as was Stone Arrow.

What other major nerfs / buffs have occurred in the history of DCSS, and when?

E.g. when was rSlow removed?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 15:41

Re: History of significant buffs & nerfs

In 0.6, rSlow was removed, as was the Divinations magic school. Spammals was nerfed to no longer summon green or orange rats, and to summon at most 2 allies. Poison Arrow was nerfed to be 60% irresistible instead of 30%. Tukima's Dance was nerfed to only be useful with large, heavy weapons. The armour nerf happened, as well as GDA's AC being reduced. Player elemental resistances were reduced. Berserk health boost was reduced from 200% to 150%.

And 0.6 was when I started playing properly (went online and got totally addicted), maybe it wasn't such a great time to start. :P

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 15:49

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:Poison Arrow was nerfed to be 60% irresistible instead of 30%.

Isn't it the other way around?

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:Tukima's Dance was nerfed to only be useful with large, heavy weapons.

And also a big emphasize was put on the spell power (at least, that's what the code comments says). So it's now quite powerful for dedicated enchanters, but not so much for other casters who only dabble in enchantment until they can caste haste at an acceptable success.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 16:08

The other difference I noticed in 0.4.5 was that my actual HP did not go down after the rage left. This made it actually an effective healing technique if you could afford the hunger.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 16:08

galehar wrote:
MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:Poison Arrow was nerfed to be 60% irresistible instead of 30%.

Isn't it the other way around?

Oops yeah, that is what I meant.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 17:01

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:And 0.6 was when I started playing properly (went online and got totally addicted), maybe it wasn't such a great time to start. :P

I wouldn't be so sure about that. :twisted: Stonesoup has a long history of nerfing stuff.

For example, 0.1 started out with, among others:
  • Enhancer staves boost spell power only, not success rates.
  • Detect creatures is somewhat inaccurate; level-map is cleared before DC.
  • Sif Muna piety increases only when training spell skills (as opposed to when casting)

Of course, there were buffs, too. For example:
  • Shields are better.
  • Curare-tipped needles are available in addition to generic poisoned needles.

I love reading the changelog. 8-)
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 17:13

Another big buff is the introduction of branded ammo.

There was a comment in another thread about "power creep". I think it would be interesting to have a side-by-side list of nerfs and buffs to see which there's been more of. I notice the nerfs more than the buffs, but others think the game is getting more buffs.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 19:47

danr wrote:I think it would be interesting to have a side-by-side list of nerfs and buffs to see which there's been more of. I notice the nerfs more than the buffs, but others think the game is getting more buffs.

Oh, please do! I'd be really interested in the results.
changelog.txt is fairly comprehensive, so go through it and try to work out what was made stronger and what was weakened.

However, you'll probably find that for some changes, it's hard to tell. Some players consider the removal of Selective Amnesia a clear nerf, others cheer at making it available to more characters. Melded equipment keeping its ponderous effect (and stat boosts) is a nerf and a buff at the same time. So it probably depends on your playing style and your favourite builds.

Also, a lot of the time balance goes back and forth. I'd also consider large interface improvements as buffs in disguise.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 30th December 2010, 20:50

I was going to give it a shot but I looked at just your post on 0.8 development alone and gadzooks there is a lot...

I'm going to do as suggested and just trust the devs, reserving of course the right to make crazy or not so crazy suggestions every now and then. I hope my weapon equipping screen idea gets into the hopper for 0.9 development!

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 17:07

jpeg wrote:Melded equipment keeping its ponderous effect (and stat boosts) is a nerf and a buff at the same time.

I'm quite looking forward to having another go at Chei-worshipping Transmuters in 0.8! The stat boosts were my favourite thing.

Which reminds me - does the upcoming change include keeping Ponderous gloves on when you're using Blade Hands?
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 17:18

joellercoaster wrote:
jpeg wrote:Melded equipment keeping its ponderous effect (and stat boosts) is a nerf and a buff at the same time.

I'm quite looking forward to having another go at Chei-worshipping Transmuters in 0.8! The stat boosts were my favourite thing.

Which reminds me - does the upcoming change include keeping Ponderous gloves on when you're using Blade Hands?

Yes
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion