Throw frost\flame and throwing skill

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 02:01

Throw frost\flame and throwing skill

It's a pretty simple idea:

Make throwing skill important for both accuracy and damage of this two spells.

1) Many races that have good throwing have bad conjurations and vice versa. So this will create interesting choices.
2) It will make early game for conjurers slightly harder, good thing, IMO
3) It may help to bring reavers back, spellbook with throw frost, throw fire, fire brand and ice brand looks natural because every spell will require both combat and magic skills to use.
4) It's logical that something with throw in the name require throwing skill

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 10:10

Re: Throw frost\flame and throwing skill

Bad idea that have been tried and rejected - throwing once was part of Evaporate and was subsequently removed.

Early game for (non-wizard) conjurers is much harder than for everyone else - those 3 MP they start with are often not enough to even finish off a single monster!
You have to turn everything else but spellcasting off and victory dance to hell just to get it to something decent.

1) Many races that have good throwing have bad conjurations and vice versa. So this will create interesting choices.

And that's for a reason - they are redundant, every turn you either throw something at enemy or conjure something at them; you can't use them at the same time.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 12:54

SinsI wrote:Bad idea that have been tried and rejected - throwing once was part of Evaporate and was subsequently removed.

For evaporate it was almost useless, only added a small problem if you targeted monsters in corridors or open spaces... and you could always target empty spaces. So it's a bad example

SinsI wrote:

Early game for (non-wizard) conjurers is much harder than for everyone else - those 3 MP they start with are often not enough to even finish off a single monster!
You have to turn everything else but spellcasting off and victory dance to hell just to get it to something decent.

When conjurers have 3MP they use only magic dart... And when conjurer gets to the 3rd level he gets conjure flame\mephitic cloud and life become easy for a long time. If you don't get terribly unlucky on DL1 conjurers are easy in an early game. For me it's one of the easiest backgrounds to start

SinsI wrote:

And that's for a reason - they are redundant, every turn you either throw something at enemy or conjure something at them; you can't use them at the same time.

I use them at the same time pretty often

1) On DL1 I throw random crap at rats when I have that 3MP. Try it. It's better then turning off conjurations
2) Even dedicated conjurers should use darts of dispersal, throwing nets, curare needles, poisoned things (before they find a book with sting). Few levels in throwing is not that expensive
3) I often train conjurations only to get conjure flame or mephitic cloud. Both are very useful for a hybrid. My ogre wizards love to conjure flame and then stone monsters to the death.
4) And I offer to add one more situation when it's useful to have both.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 20th April 2011, 18:10

Conforming spells to your playstyle is not a good idea. Three MP is plenty if you're willing to kite, play carefully, and not try to kill off four monsters at once by just standing there and tossing magic dart at them. I never intentionally get Throwing on my casters and never regret not doing so. You don't need Throwing skill for Darts of Dispersal or Curare to be useful.

Whether or not having Throwing and Throw Flame/Throw Frost is relevant (I don't think it should be) is not stringent on your playstyle. It makes barely any sense. Conjurer is one of the easier starts, yes, and the Throw Flame/Frost spells already fill the niche of being a reliable spell until you get the bigger guns around the Lair. It's not thrilling, it doesn't have ~amazing skill synergies~, but it works.

Return to Game Design Discussion