Acidic walls

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 16:32

Acidic walls

I just died in a Slime Pits spawn-vault because I had no idea these walls could damage you, at least in the Slime Pits there is an obvious green highlight in the spaces adjacent to the damaging walls.

http://puu.sh/dfuIf/eee5766d71.jpg

Possibly have some sort of indicator that these walls can and will damage the player?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 16:45

Re: Acidic walls

Code:
"The walls burn you!"

seems to me a good enough indicator
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 18:10

It's true that the player should read, but tiles are intended to communicate what's going on clearly -- those walls are used in Sewer and several vaults but don't burn you in those locations, and that's bad.

I will probably make gooier-looking walls for Slime at some point, which should improve things a little bit, though I don't know if the floor needs an acid overlay there. On the other hand, we special-case a lot of floor tiles for no reason other than aesthetics... so why not for a real purpose, here?

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Lasty, Sphara

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 22:09

Console has the overlay next to slime walls even outside Slime; I don't see any reason to not place it there in tiles (though I don't know if it might be hard to see on the green Lair floor).

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 22:28

I completely agree that I should have read, it's my fault I died but understand the situation: A slime(non-ranged) monster is chasing me, all I see ahead of me is a few walls so I tap '4' twice and I die. I would have never had thought to inspect the walls(I dont even know if inspecting ahead of time would have told me) they just look like retextured rock walls is all.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th December 2014, 23:53

I'd agree that tiles should have the acid overlay outside of slime as well. As mentioned it's a wall tile that is also used in sewer vaults, where it doesn't damage the player. So not only is there no indication it will hurt you before you step on it, it's also changing what previously happened in the sewer.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th December 2014, 21:02

Regardless of any other changes, the tile for acid walls should not be used for sewer walls.

That's messed up.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 00:09

PleasingFungus wrote:Regardless of any other changes, the tile for acid walls should not be used for sewer walls.

That's messed up.

just change all the sewer walls to acid, problem solved!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 6th December 2014, 01:28

PleasingFungus wrote:Regardless of any other changes, the tile for acid walls should not be used for sewer walls.

That's messed up.
FWIW it's kind of the other way around (the slime wall tile was used in sewers long before they became acid walls)

Return to Game Design Discussion