New Mutation: Gills

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 12:48

New Mutation: Gills

"A pair of gills grow on the sides of your neck."

Good Mutation

Rank 1: You can move through water without penalties.
Rank 2: You can move thorugh water without penalties and you gain a +20 bonus to stealth while in water.
Rank 3: You can move through water without penalties, gain a +30 bonus to stealth and your movement delay is reduced by 3 while in water.

Merfolk and Octopodes cannot accquire this mutation.

A human wanderer with the gills mutation.

Edit: Removed the image because it was way too large. Also if you really have to you could call it Gills & Webs, I just figured that if I had gills I would probably spend a lot of time underwater and get used to them and learn to swim faster, use a little imagination...
Last edited by John Milferton on Thursday, 13th November 2014, 17:28, edited 2 times in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 15:37

Re: New Mutation: Gills

I like this idea. It'd be fun to have a few more offball mutations, and this one might affect your strategy at least in some sections of the game, without being gamebreakingly strong or annoying.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 16:38

Why would gills help you move through water faster? Knee deep water doesn't slow you down, because you stick your head under the water? And by the same token, why would this make you more stealthy?

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 17:25

Yeah, I'd call it "aquatic" instead of "gills."

And maybe l1 is "shallow water is no penalty, deep water is like shallow water" and l2 is "deep water is no penalty". Then l3 could have a stealth bonus or movespeed bonus or something.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
dranichekk, John Milferton

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 19:17

Yeah going into deep water, having a neqoxec remove my gills mutation, and instantly drowning sounds like a great thing to add to crawl.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
dranichekk

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 19:24

Just flag it as a badmut ;)

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 19:36

duvessa wrote:Yeah going into deep water, having a neqoxec remove my gills mutation, and instantly drowning sounds like a great thing to add to crawl.

People here only see the negative things in life, it's kind of sad

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 19:42

He said that would be, and I quote, "a great thing to add to crawl". Maybe it is you who are negative?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 19:43

John Milferton wrote:
duvessa wrote:Yeah going into deep water, having a neqoxec remove my gills mutation, and instantly drowning sounds like a great thing to add to crawl.

People here only see the negative things in life, it's kind of sad

duvessa is right in this case. It makes swimming in deep water extremely dangerous.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 19:46

Sar wrote:He said that would be, and I quote, "a great thing to add to crawl". Maybe it is you who are negative?

Maybe. I will travel to Héng Shān summit and meditate about it. Meanwhile you can flag aquatic as a bad mutation and implement it.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 19:49

To be more constructive, IMO there's enough of really underwhelming benemuts (let's pretend this is a benemut and won't kill you, for a moment). There isn't too much water in the game, so I can hardly imagine being excited by it. Level 3 sounds alright, but Mf get better package for free and it's not like you will ever get a level 3 on a mutation anyway.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 20:28

Sar wrote:To be more constructive, IMO there's enough of really underwhelming benemuts (let's pretend this is a benemut and won't kill you, for a moment). There isn't too much water in the game, so I can hardly imagine being excited by it. Level 3 sounds alright, but Mf get better package for free and it's not like you will ever get a level 3 on a mutation anyway.

I kept it lower than mf on purpose because people tend to hang themselves up on the numbers too much so I didn't want it to be broken...

We could ramp up the power level (especially on lower ranks) easily...

remember concepts can be changed easily, but numbers are eternal like the mountain stone they are carved in /sarcasm

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 21:42

the concept is that it's a benemut that changes the way you approach water a bit and, as I said, there isn't a whole lot of water in the game

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Barkeep

Post Friday, 14th November 2014, 01:17

Most of the way it would actually change my interaction with water would be giving me a cheesy way to use ranged attacks on melee threats with no risk. I mean, in the rare cases where there's water and melee threats. Yes, Mf and Op and Te and lev boots let you do that now but adding a mutation for it sounds suboptimal.

Regarding neqoxecs and drowning deaths, I think drowning shouldn't be an instadeath, and allow you a half dozen turns to get a tele off or something.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
bananaken, Brannock

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 18:17

The drowning death thing is perfectly solvable; we can just fail to remove mutations in cases where it would instakill (drown) the player. We already do something similar for /poly.

Sar & nvjacks's objections, on the other hand, are a harder problem to solve.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 21:56

PleasingFungus wrote:The drowning death thing is perfectly solvable; we can just fail to remove mutations in cases where it would instakill (drown) the player. We already do something similar for /poly.
So it's perfectly fine that I should walk into deep water before quaffing cure mutation?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 22:21

Turn the mutation temporary (like a wretched star's effect) instead?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 23:55

I don't think it's worth adding counterintuitive special cases just so you can randomly make other races into merfolk.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 17th November 2014, 00:10

I can see why the idea of your character being able to go into water might be appealing on some aesthetic level (I always liked Aquaman, sue me), but even if we put aside all the weird or bad things that could result from it, I don't see how it is a particularly good addition. I'd get some enjoyment out of acquiring this mutation before I did Swamp or Shoals, but that's about it, and even if it was just a single-level good mutation ("aquatic") that gave you all the stuff from the level 3 mutation in the OP, it would still be very rare to get it before doing your second rune branch.

There's already a lot of rather underwhelming good mutations; the subset of substantial, good things you hope to get from !benemut is pretty dilute already. I don't see any reason to add this mutation.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 18th November 2014, 19:58

On the one hand, I support the idea of this because I like the idea of being able to collect items that merfolk dropped in deep water in the Shoals, just in case I want to get some more nets or the glowing bardiche Ilsuiw dropped. However, outside of those rare situations, I can't think of anytime I would care about having this mutation. Sure, you can do cool things with deep water kiting, but by the time you get mutated enough to get gills you've probably either found access to a source of Flight or are strong enough that you don't need to kite in deep water. I think I'd rather see this as an effect on an unrandart (cloak of the manta ray or something like that), because then the game might potentially generate one in a shop or something at a time when my character can actually use it.

It'd probably be a more useful benemut if water happened more often, but outside of shoals/swamp water just stops being a thing. And I don't think that's an element of Crawl that needs to be changed, really.

On further consideration, it could also be a cool mutation for Jivya to give you since all other slimes are amphibious, but that's more of a flavor thing than something that Jivya really needs since you'll probably have cleared the Shoals/Swamp before worshiping him.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 19:26

I think out of all the ways to die, that would be he most humorous.

For this message the author Phillip has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 9th December 2014, 11:32

njvack wrote:Regarding neqoxecs and drowning deaths, I think drowning shouldn't be an instadeath, and allow you a half dozen turns to get a tele off or something.

This is a fine idea, IMO. Another alternative would be to make it so your gills last until you leave deep water. No more insta-death, no potential for spoilery knowledge exploitation, you just become Aquaman :o

Also, having l3 have a movespeed bonus on shallow water would be kind of interesting with various sources of shallow water (Fedhas, Phial of Floods, Rod of Clouds, etc?), though situational for sure.

For this message the author bananaken has received thanks:
XuaXua

Return to Game Design Discussion