Remove prompt for force-attacking allies

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 10:29

Remove prompt for force-attacking allies

I do not believe the prompt is useful in the specific situation where CTRL-direction is used to attack a square with an ally in it. Given how infrequently one needs to use CTRL-direction to force an attack in a square, it seems unlikely that a prompt is actually doing something useful in this specific case.

This would make betraying allies somewhat less inconvenient. It would also make the warning for Okawaru penance actually do something useful, since one is not conditioned to automatically confirm the prompt when betraying an ally.

I believe that the prompt for betraying an ally when using Z to force casting of a spell should also be removed.

(for the sake of detail, I do not advocate removing the prompt for using CTRL-direction to attack in a different direction than an ally if you happen to be confused)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 21:36

Re: Remove prompt for force-attacking allies

I don't agree with saying that this should be extended to "Z" also, since "Z" is far superior behaviour to "z" (it should honestly just be the default). So if you think there should be a prompt for attacking allies with spells it should absolutely apply to both "Z" and "z".

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 21:53

I disagree. Attacking allies is something that I want to do so infrequently that 90% of the time I ctrl+direction a place where an ally is, it is by mistake and I wanted a different direction. Even if the extra button is annoying the (generous)one time in ten I want to do so intentionally, that is not the important case.

Is there some character type I'm not aware of that often attacks its allies? It's possible I missed something. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a toggle but I'm not particularly eager to have a dev spend their time on that.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 22:41

Would it be too weird to prompt in cases of summoned and permanent allies, but not in the case of enslavement? The difference is that the former's allegiance never expires (though it may poof out of existence), whereas the latter will eventually turn hostile. The fact that you can get stabs on an enslaved enemy but you get prompted about it like it was a bad idea (implying that it is on par with walking while confused and next to lava) is kind of strange.

So yeah that would be a special case but I think it is supportable based on game play. It is rare that you want to kill something you just summoned, though there are circumstances in which doing so makes sense; it is very common that you want to attack an enemy that is only "in your thrall."

EDIT: Now that I think about it, enslaved status should have a different signifier than the standard heart that all allies have, due to the fact that (however unlikely) you could have a summoned ally and an enslaved ally of the same creature type. It would also serve as a good reminder if, say, you close a game and resume playing before an enslavement effect has worn off, or something.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
Hurkyl, Quazifuji

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 22:45

IMO allies shouldn't get angry when attacked in the first place - an allied monster is virtually always trivial to kill whether it's going to turn hostile or not, but the current behaviour makes it a lot more annoying.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
and into, nago

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 22:47

duvessa wrote:IMO allies shouldn't get angry when attacked in the first place - an allied monster is virtually always trivial to kill whether it's going to turn hostile or not, but the current behaviour makes it a lot more annoying.

Yeah that's a good point too.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 08:00

duvessa wrote:IMO allies shouldn't get angry when attacked in the first place - an allied monster is virtually always trivial to kill whether it's going to turn hostile or not, but the current behaviour makes it a lot more annoying.

Allies becoming hostile on betrayal is just a nuisance in cases where you're deliberately betraying an ally out of combat, but it can make a difference using area effect attacksin combat. Right now, when you're in a position where attacking an enemy with a requires hitting an ally too (whether it's an AoE spell, axe cleaving, or something else), you have to consider not just the risk of killing the ally, but the risk of the ally betraying you. If this were changed, then you could do so much more freely. Especially in cases like shooting bolts of cold or freezing clouds through zombie or skeleton allies, whee the damage you do to them is fairly small (unless I don't know how the mechanics work and they won't betray you for small amounts of damage anyway).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 19:20

In older versions shooting bolts of cold through zombie or skeleton allies didn't turn them hostile, and I don't think it was a big problem.

Return to Game Design Discussion