Viable and Random result shown: pseudoBug?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 10th November 2014, 20:45

Viable and Random result shown: pseudoBug?

During the character creation process, if a player selects a Viable/Random something (Species, Background or Character), on the next screen the outcome is shown (before the character has been created and placed in D:1).
As pointed out indirectly by Duvessa at the beginning of another thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14125 (see the 1st reply), this allows the player to Undo (by pressing Esc) the outcome.

Why is this so?
It seems to me the selected Viable/Random result is being shown as if it was in development coding for debugging purposes.

I would prefer to see on the next screen that I have made the Viable or Random selection instead of what the RNG had already selected and still keep the option of pressing Esc (or [ynq] in the case of a viable/random character or combo).

The benefit of doing a modification as per my suggestion (instead of other possible patches that I can think of) is that it ~*should*~ involve a fairly simple patch since the process is not being changed; only what is being shown is.

Am I missing something? Is there a benefit to keeping it as is that I'm not seeing?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 15:40

Re: Viable and Random result shown: pseudoBug?

And what's the benefit of not showing it?
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 16:42

The viable and random functions in chargen are conveniences for those who want a random character, so they don't have to get out actual dice and roll them next to their computer. If the random player wants to veto certain combinations, like say Felid Anything, I don't see why the devteam needs to make this pointlessly difficult for the random player for no good reason. Once the unwanted character is generated on D1, it is already tainting the pool of statistics even though there was a semi-legitimate reason for it to be rejected on chargen, and while those statistics certainly aren't a big deal they aren't useless either.

I suppose there's the occasional player who wants to show off by making a long online streak of random-function characters, and is vexed by the fact that it is possible to make a counterfeit streak of random-function characters by rejecting unfavorable combos, but I honestly don't care if that sort of player is vexed in this way.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 16th November 2014, 20:13

RoGGa wrote:The benefit of doing a modification as per my suggestion (instead of other possible patches that I can think of) is that it ~*should*~ involve a fairly simple patch since the process is not being changed; only what is being shown is.

It might be helpful to think of other benefits for your suggestions besides "it will be easy for someone else to code".

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
duvessa

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 17th November 2014, 04:53

The only other benefit I can see would involve a bit more coding to make it so that it could be possible to streak with viable/random character combos such that:
wouldn't it be a HUGE "bragging right" for someone to have streaked 3+ "Random Characters"?

(fyi, since I hadn't received a reply after a few days, I ended up sending my original idea to Mantis
see: https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=9194
and it got turned down with a similar statement as above: "Working as intended."
...and I'm ok with that.

I was just using the viable/random options in a specific way.
Thanks for all your feedback and input.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 17th November 2014, 08:24

It's not like there are achievements or anything. As far as I know, there isn't even anything that records whether you created your character randomly or manually. As such, if you want the bragging rights, you can just as easily use random combos and always take the one given, or use Sequell's !next option (which I believe always gives the same combo until you beat that one, although I may be wrong).

I mean, if we were going to have a special tournament involving winning streaks of random character combos or whatever, or some banner or score were given for random characters in a regular tournament, some feature like this might make sense. But as long as the only point is unofficial bragging rights, just picking the first combo works just as well as having it not show you what you're offered in the first place.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 17th November 2014, 15:02

Random character is not hard, bad character is hard. I still remember how I was trying to win an OgWn and one of those started with 7.8 levels in M&F. The same thing is here, random generator can give you MiBe or CeHu.

Return to Game Design Discussion