Vampire Butcher -> Bottle ability

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 10th November 2014, 13:03

Vampire Butcher -> Bottle ability

With the removal of all chunk interaction except eating them, can vampires bottle blood ability replace their butchering?

The only time a vampire would butcher is for a hide, which can be turned into a prompt, or better yet bottling blood also provides hides.

For this message the author 1010011010 has received thanks: 6
and into, Brannock, duvessa, eliotn, MIC132, Quazifuji

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th November 2014, 16:42

Re: Vampire Butcher -> Bottle ability

Bottling already does provide hides- I bottled Purgy on trunk this weekend and got a troll hide.

So yes, it sounds like c ought to make bottles instead of chunks for vampires.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 07:20

Would you make vampires unable to butcher until level 6, or remove the current level restriction on blood-bottling? I suspect the latter. But perhaps there's some good reason for the restriction...?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 21:37

I already just macro "c" to whatever my bottle blood ability is when I play vp, so making that automatic would be pretty reasonable.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 12th November 2014, 22:37

PleasingFungus wrote:Would you make vampires unable to butcher until level 6, or remove the current level restriction on blood-bottling? I suspect the latter. But perhaps there's some good reason for the restriction...?

I don't know why the bottle blood ability was delayed that long, but I don't think it is necessary.

Possible reasons:

1. didn't want to overwhelm people with an additional weird thing about vampires right off the bat [pardon the pun],

2. worried that easy access to Alive regeneration boost would be too good on D1 to D3/D4,

3. worried that the better nutrition availability from the start would provide too much player control over the thirst clock....

That's all I can think up tbh. Number 1 isn't a concern because mapping it to c as a replacement for butchering is possible now, and that would be even more intuitive for new players; number 3 shouldn't be a concern either since you start with a potion of blood and can fill up pretty easily already, if you want to, bottles just make it more convenient. I don't think number 2. is a concern because even as soon as level 3 [i.e. D2 or, sometimes, even just end of D1] you would be gaining that Alive status at the expense of bat form, which is really good and substantially better now, even, since you needn't worry about it overloading you...

So in short I support the OP and I would recommend that vampires just be allowed to bottle blood from the start.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 13th November 2014, 05:22

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
and into, 1010011010

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 2nd December 2014, 09:16

Am I mistaken, or are potions of blood no longer automatically picked up after bottling?
I seem to recall the ability only leaving them on the floor if there were monsters in sight, but now whenever I bottle a corpse, I have to manually (or through greedy auto-explore) pickup the resulting potions.
Butchering corpses with any other species does make the chunks end up in my inventory, so I think it would make sense for bottling to work the same.

For this message the author rigrig has received thanks: 2
esran, neil

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 06:05

rigrig wrote:Am I mistaken, or are potions of blood no longer automatically picked up after bottling?
I seem to recall the ability only leaving them on the floor if there were monsters in sight, but now whenever I bottle a corpse, I have to manually (or through greedy auto-explore) pickup the resulting potions.
Butchering corpses with any other species does make the chunks end up in my inventory, so I think it would make sense for bottling to work the same.

Fixed, thanks.

For this message the author neil has received thanks:
rigrig

Return to Game Design Discussion