Enemy vulnerability/immunity to confuse

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 21:54

Enemy vulnerability/immunity to confuse

Also inspired by a thread in Advice: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13988

There is currently a great deal of opacity concerning what enemies can be afflicted by confuse and how this is portrayed to the player. While the bigger (and more specific) problem may be that confusion immunity is badly communicated to the player, I will argue that having many enemies that are immune to confuse is itself unnecessary and also problematic for other reasons. I'll address the first point (bad communication) first, however.

If an Enchanter comes across an oklob plant, and tries to cast ensorcelled hibernation on it, the spell actually won't be cast and you will get a message to the effect that no susceptible enemies are in LOS (this does not take in-game time) and informing you that you can cast the spell anyway with capital-Z. If you do force-cast it at the oklob, you will simply get the message that the oklob is unaffected (regardless of whether you overcome an MR roll or not). Oklobs are also immune to confusion. And yet, if you cast the confuse spell, you get no warning message about no viable targets in LOS, and even more strangely, if you target the oklob you will often get the message "the oklob resists"; if (and only if) you beat the oklob's MR roll with the confuse spell, then you get the message, "The oklob plant is unaffected."

Now, on one level, with regard to the messages, this is just a bug (and should be fixed), but I think there is a deeper problem in the simple fact that some enemies are susceptible to hostile enchantments in general, and yet immune to confusion. I think this is bad for two reasons:

1.) A certain subset of enemies are immune to confuse but it is not often clear how or when this would be the case, at first glance. I don't think that having this property apply to a subdivision of enemies is particularly interesting.

Nor (to preempt the inevitable complaint) is it particularly good flavor. Plant-type enemies are apparently sentient (or responsive/reactive) to some degree—oklobs follow basically the same AI as other enemies, they are susceptible to enslavement, etc.—so why not allow confusion to affect them? More to the point, other mindless enemies (e.g., zombies, skeletons, jellies, etc.) are susceptible to confusion. There is no consistency here to begin with, and thus (already) no coherent flavor as to why some mindless enemies are confusion-immune while others are not.

2.) For a character already using hexes, and for an enchanter in particular, the odd "susceptible to enchantments in general, but confusion-immune" enemy is still susceptible to enslavement. There have actually been instances in which I enslaved enemies I would have rather confused and stabbed, tell them to wait, go get some other melee brute or two and kite them back to the first confuse-immune guy, enslave it, and let the enemies I kited kill my new short-term ally for me. I've actually done things like this in teh game, and it is not fun. Many characters who have trained hexes and are casting confuse at stuff will also have slow or enslavement (or both) available, which means you can get around the enemy, but you can't just get direct stabs against them via confusion. This doesn't come up *that* often, but when it does, it tends to be very grating and highly un-fun.

So I propose letting confuse hit everything that is not immune to hostile enchantments. This not only fixes the buggy messages, but also an underlying feature of current game design that is problematic.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Hurkyl

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 23:05

Re: Enemy vulnerability/immunity to confuse

O__o

Dude, it's a holiness thing, Duvessa made it pretty clear. Plants and nonliving monsters are immune to confuse.

...are you dead-set on jumbling around all the application cases for hexes or what? o____oU
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 23:15

Psiweapon wrote:Dude, it's a holiness thing, Duvessa made it pretty clear. Plants and nonliving monsters are immune to confuse.
1. players aren't told about holiness
2. players aren't told about holiness-based confusion immunity
3. pretty sure the fact that i had to make it clear is an indication that it isn't clear in crawl

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 6
and into, Arrhythmia, crate, nago, Psiweapon, Sharkman1231

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 23:18

Psiweapon wrote:Dude, it's a holiness thing, Duvessa made it pretty clear. Plants and nonliving monsters are immune to confuse.

Well, first of all, the game doesn't actually explain that non-living monsters are immune to confusion, but on top of that, it doesn't even mention which monsters are non-living. The perennial example of the gargoyle monster is explicitly described as being "brought to life"; it's rather difficult to divine something that is described as alive is not alive. Plus, it's completely inconsistent with player characters; PC Gargoyles and Vine Stalkers lack clarity despite their monster counter-part having it.

e: oh for fucks sake
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 26th October 2014, 23:36

Okay, okay, I back down. Sorry.

It's hard enough to learn and keep track of how to hex what and when for what effect, having people pull the rug from under your feet just when you had it all nailed down plain sucks.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 00:04

Psiweapon wrote:Okay, okay, I back down. Sorry.

It's hard enough to learn and keep track of how to hex what and when for what effect, having people pull the rug from under your feet just when you had it all nailed down plain sucks.

Surely having fewer weird undocumented special cases in regards to what you can hex and what you can't would be an improvement to learning how and when to hex things, though?

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 00:36

Perhaps simply listing creature's holiness in xv and listing the holiness's that are immune to a given spell in it's description would be sufficient?
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 01:24

Siegurt wrote:Perhaps simply listing creature's holiness in xv and listing the holiness's that are immune to a given spell in it's description would be sufficient?

Why retain a distinction ("immune to confuse") that arbitrarily applies to a subset of enemies, very rarely matters in practice and, when it does matter, has a tendency to invite annoying tactics? If this distinction led to lots of interesting game play decisions, I'd be all for keeping it and simply communicating about it better in the game. But that's really not the case here.

Putting the info in xv solves part of the problem, but not the other part. And it is less than ideal in other ways. (Having yet another thing that you need to xv should be avoided if possible, especially something that is not particularly intuitive or sensible in the first place.)

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 01:35

Well. I think it is nice for spells to only have a subset of creatures that they are useful against. I don't think it is good to get a level 3 spell that is as good as a spell needs to be for the rest of the game. One way to achieve this is by having a subset of enemies be immune to it. However I do agree that the current implementation is far from optimal and doesn't really achieve that goal.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 01:42

Siegurt wrote:Well. I think it is nice for spells to only have a subset of creatures that they are useful against. I don't think it is good to get a level 3 spell that is as good as a spell needs to be for the rest of the game. One way to achieve this is by having a subset of enemies be immune to it. However I do agree that the current implementation is far from optimal and doesn't really achieve that goal.

There are already very high MR creatures that will be impractical to hit with confuse (except perhaps when combined with a very rare consumable, ?vulnerability) and beyond that there are even some enemies that are flat out immune to hostile enchantments. If there are reasons why a certain enemy that is currently immune to confusion should stay immune to it, then just make that particular enemy a special case, and say "Immune to confusion" in its xv description. (And give it the same interaction as ensorcelled hibernation does when you try to use it against immune targets.) But I don't see any reason why certain "holiness" enemies should, as a group, all have immunity to confusion.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 02:35

Well, high MR and magic immune creatures can't be hit by *any* hexes, so it's not like you're forcing a hexer to use a different tool out of their toolbox to be effective against those critters. Currently both enscorcelled hibernation and invis have a subset of critters who are immune to their effects, and I think it is good for confusion to have a subset of critters who it doesn't work on as well, However I agree that the interface should be consistent for all targeted hexes, and I also agree that holiness is a fairly not-useful selector for what should be immune to confusion.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 03:16

Yeah "the gargoyle resists" is really misleading. Frankly I think it should show the likelihood of a hex affecting a monster before you cast it(in relative terms, like the current on-cast messages, so stuff like very likely, quite likely, exceptionally unlikely, immune, etc).

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 03:25

Part of the appeal of rouguelikes when first playing them is figuring out why stuff works/doesn't work. Disintigration wands and OC/silver statues (cool I can blow them up!) was one example for Crawl. Confusion not working on a Oklob plant is another (well duh it's a plant). However concerning confusion and what it works on/doesn't as mentioned there is no consistency, and what should or shouldn't be affected will vary depending on who you ask. For example jellies should not be affected imo (it's a blob, nothing to confuse) but I could see a zombie or skeleton being confused (zombies have a little bit of a mind to confuse as the typical zombie does move with the purpose of eating BRAAAAINNNS, while skeletons are often portrayed as being able to fight of their own accord). Though if the game considers them mindless then they probably shouldn't be able to be confused. No mind, nothing to confuse.

It's a minor bit of flavor, but minor bits of flavor are what make roguelikes appealing for new players. Someone like me won't care much regardless since I've played this game too much. I think this decision should be made with the appeal to a newer player in mind.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 03:41

SaidTheAlligatorKingToHisSon wrote:Part of the appeal of rouguelikes when first playing them is figuring out why stuff works/doesn't work.

Not for everyone, and one of the design goals of Crawl is to remove that kind of unobvious special case.

It's a minor bit of flavor, but minor bits of flavor are what make roguelikes appealing for new players. Someone like me won't care much regardless since I've played this game too much. I think this decision should be made with the appeal to a newer player in mind.

I can't imagine that new players are going to think less of Crawl because the devs took out something like "non-living creatures don't get confused" that they wouldn't have noticed anyway.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 2
all before, duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 08:49

SaidTheAlligatorKingToHisSon wrote: Disintigration wands and OC/silver statues (cool I can blow them up!) was one example for Crawl.

One very bad example that required going and spoilering oneself. It was removed for a reason.

For this message the author khalil has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 16:06

If you like weird interactions there are games out there that have those for you.

Literally my only objection to changing confusion as suggested in this topic is that I would have to find a new argument for why player gargoyles are not actually nonliving (despite Yred seeming to think they are nonliving).

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 16:24

I think gargoyles should be allowed to worship Yred, because Yred and Gargoyles are both cool and I'd like to experience them in tandem. *mumbly GDD style rant about what's interesting*

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
and into

Barkeep

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 16:54

johlstei wrote:I think gargoyles should be allowed to worship Yred, because Yred and Gargoyles are both cool and I'd like to experience them in tandem. *mumbly GDD style rant about what's interesting*

I'm with you, man—but one battle at a time. Let's stay on topic. Houses are built stone by stone. So are gargoyle death knights.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 22:10

khalil wrote:One very bad example that required going and spoilering oneself. It was removed for a reason.

I find it unlikely that I am the only one to ever figure this out for myself then experience the "I am so smart" gratification that comes with blowing up the statue. Tell me someone else reading this has played Myst or a similar puzzle game and knows where I'm coming from. (Didn't the description used to give a hint and said something like "It looks very brittle"?)

But since the inexorable wheels of progress are grinding the game to desolate uniformity and unique cases will soon be gone like the wind (mmm melodrama) in regards to how I think the game should be uniform, make mindless creatures immune to confuse and remove the holiness exception. I would argue against adding an "immune to confusion" to the description of mindless creatures in line with my belief that a newer player will derive more enjoyment figuring out that mindless equals immune to confusion ("ooooh the monster can't be confused since there's no mind to confuse!"), though if confusion is changed so the "no susceptible target" message pops the point is moot.

I would strongly argue against being able to confuse an Oklob, because that just seems wrong. It's a plant. I see it acting more like a venus flytrap than having some form of sentience.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th October 2014, 22:13

What did you experience when you tried to use disintegration on a plain statue or an ice statue or Roxanne or a golem?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
all before

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 01:30

SaidTheAlligatorKingToHisSon wrote:I find it unlikely that I am the only one to ever figure this out for myself then experience the "I am so smart" gratification that comes with blowing up the statue. Tell me someone else reading this has played Myst or a similar puzzle game and knows where I'm coming from.

The philosophy section of the manual actually talks about this exact thing:

The manual wrote:Concerning important but hidden details (i.e. facts subject to spoilers) our policy is this: the joy of discovering something spoily is nice, once. (And disappears before it can start if you feel you need to read spoilers - a legitimate feeling.) The joy of dealing with ever-changing, unexpected and challenging strategic and tactical situations that arise out of transparent rules, on the other hand, is nice again and again.

Nethack has a lot of this kind of thing, and I agree that it can be fun. Crawl just has a different focus.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
nicolae, SaidTheAlligatorKingToHisSon

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 21:09

Hey the manual explains everything perfectly, including my view and why Crawl doesn't follow it. Thanks njvack.

duvessa wrote:What did you experience when you tried to use disintegration on a plain statue or an ice statue or Roxanne or a golem?

Well someone didn't play Myst.

Return to Game Design Discussion