Bloodbane

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th October 2014, 23:27

Bloodbane

I've made a decent proposal, time to make a silly one.

So, Bloodbane. It's an artefact. It's very rare. It's also... pretty boring? It's a demon blade (great) with +8 enchantment (good), vorpal brand (eh) that makes you angry (thematic) and less stealthy. For a weapon that rare this is pretty underwhelming, and a regular demon blade will be a much better weapon, right? So I propose to change it in some way. Here are my thoughts:

Buffs: change its brand to speed, will work interestingly with random rage, unless you find clarity (should Bloodbane rage even be affected by that). This will make it much more desirable. Maybe make it more rage-y, akin to Wrath of Trog, or make it give you Trog-like berserk extension on kills.

Additionally, nerfs: make it cursed and give it essentially Ru's Sac Love when you wield it. Bloodbane wielder has no allies, only enemies. Abilities like Brothers in Arms should probably be disabled, Demon Guardian suspended. A lot of special casing, but I feel like the result would be a cool weapon that one'd be excited to find past early game.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Laraso

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th October 2014, 23:48

Re: Bloodbane

I can think of at least 3 other artefacts already centered around *Rage (bloodlust, jihad, wrath of Trog) so keep that in mind.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 12th October 2014, 16:19

make enemies killed by it die in jory-like blood explosions

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks: 2
Curio, Laraso

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 12th October 2014, 16:33

Give it a Song of Slaying type effect that that gives more and more slaying as you kill monsters with it, but loses the bonus when you rest or switch to a different weapon?

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 13th October 2014, 02:45

thats pretty similar to bloodlust isnt it

Return to Game Design Discussion