Okawaru Idea

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 20:17

Okawaru Idea

There are a lot of gods that give piety for killing things, but at present only one that gives it for training skills.

Has anyone already suggested making Okawaru piety be dependent on training combat skills?

I quite like the idea of a warrior god who rewards becoming a more skillful fighter rather than just slaughtering things.

It could also make for a kind of symmetry between the magic and war gods, so you would have:

Trog (war god who rewards killing) & Vehumet (magic god who rewards killing)
vs.
Okawaru (war god who rewards learning) & Sif Muna (magic god who rewards learning)

It might also encourage players to aim to train their weapon skills higher rather than just turn off short blades (or whatever) when it reaches the minimum delay.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 06:00

Re: Okawaru Idea

When I go Okawaru I immediately switch into full-on Maha Kali genocide mode, killing and sacrificing enemies as quickly as possible in order to beat his piety countdown and get gifts; I eat permafood, explore while wounded, and if I have "faith I risk item burn or mutations by leaving it on until I abandon him. Piety through training doesn't have the same appeal.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Sif Muna's piety for training is a factor of EXP dumped into magic skills rather than actually raising skills; turning off your weapon skill under a similar system wouldn't do anything but postpone the inevitable, assuming nothing else happened to the free EXP in the meanwhile.

TGW

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 10:55

Re: Okawaru Idea

This would make Okawaru a lot less attractive to casty builds. There's already a god like that.

Return to Game Design Discussion