Why doesn't confusion redirect stair movement?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 18:04

Why doesn't confusion redirect stair movement?

If a player is confused and tries to move, he tends to move randomly (or semi-randomly?)

If a player is confused and standing on the stairs, my experience has been that he is always successful at climbing those stairs.

Is there a reason why confusion shouldn't redirect a stair climb attempt into sideways movement, or if standing on a stair, consider translating sideways movement into a stair climb?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 18:14

Re: Why doesn't confusion redirect stair movement?

There's a chance of stumbling on the stairs and going nowhere, iirc.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 18:26

Re: Why doesn't confusion redirect stair movement?

Yeah, I've gotten that before, you basically just waste a turn instead of going up/down. It would suck if it could make you step off the stairs, although it would be in line with its usual effects.

Having confused movement sometimes send you up/downstairs would rarely matter, but when it did happen to send you downstairs/down a hatch it would really suck.

Return to Game Design Discussion