Proposal: Replacing Simulacrum Spell (Ice Mirror)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 14:47

Proposal: Replacing Simulacrum Spell (Ice Mirror)

With the approaching move towards a chunk-less Crawl, the ice "summoning" spell Simulacrum is probably going the way of the dodo or at least needs some revision.

What I recommend is replacing it with a spell named Ice Mirror (IM), originally discussed here.

Ice Mirror works as follows:

When cast, IM creates a Simulacrum of any target creature currently in the player's unbroken line of sight.

• The caster must have clear, ranged weapon-style line-of-sight to the target.
  • The target cannot be adjacent to the caster.
  • The target must be aware, unconfused, and can see the caster (it needs to be looking at the mirror).
  • The Simulacrum is placed adjacent to the caster within the line-of-sight to the target, breaking player/target line-of-sight.
  • The Simulacrum will begin actively hostile to the target (casting this on friendly targets constitutes a hostile action, but could be used to create a Simulacrum of a dying caster ally).
  • The Simulacrum will attempt to move toward / attack the target till either is killed or it is removed from line-of-sight; it will attack anything directly in its way to the target.
  • Multiple simulacrums of the target can be created, but each requires the same un-obfuscated line-of-sight.
  • Once the target is dead or removed from view, the Simulacrum would behave as a typical Simulacrum does in the current game.
  • Cannot IM a simulacrum or any target that does not consciously "look" or have a substantial mass. Depending on discussion, undead may be disqualified, but this might allow (spell-less) demons.

I do not propose a spell level/cost or school group besides any combination of "Ice"; I leave that up to an implementer or those who know the balance of mechanics better than I.

I understand that this may not be how line-of-sight works.

What I like about IM is that while the Simulacrum spell requires chunks, IM requires distance AND line-of-sight with the target (putting the caster in danger), places the simulacrum in line-of-sight (defending the caster while somewhat preventing subsequent casts by blocking LOS), and can't be cast after the target monster is dead. Also IM simulacrums may begin life "damaged", having been forced to fight their source targets.

I am not locked-in to the name "Ice Mirror"; we can call it Mirror of Ice, Frozen Mirror; anything with "Mirror" that evokes "cold". Cold Mirror. We'll make a bikeshedding thread later, if this proposal gets legs.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 15:54

Re: Proposal: Replacing Simulacrum Spell (Ice Mirror)

I have no strong opinion on your new spell but simulacrum was reworked to operate on corpses already.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 15:56

johlstei wrote:I have no strong opinion on your new spell but simulacrum was reworked to operate on corpses already.

Thanks; didn't realize it. I would assume it could make multiple Simulacrum from a single corpse, or no?

Consider this a counter-proposal then to replace the reworked Simulacrum spell, helping to distinguish it more from any of the various Necromancy spells that affect corpses and any of the typical summoning spells.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 16:49

XuaXua wrote:
johlstei wrote:I have no strong opinion on your new spell but simulacrum was reworked to operate on corpses already.

Thanks; didn't realize it. I would assume it could make multiple Simulacrum from a single corpse, or no?

Consider this a counter-proposal then to replace the reworked Simulacrum spell, helping to distinguish it more from any of the various Necromancy spells that affect corpses and any of the typical summoning spells.

The number is based on how many chunks would have been produced by butchering the monster.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 17:08

johlstei wrote:
XuaXua wrote:I would assume it could make multiple Simulacrum from a single corpse, or no?

The number is based on how many chunks would have been produced by butchering the monster.

Nice. I was under the impression from discussion on the other thread that this work had not been done. Thanks, again.

Return to Game Design Discussion