Why no more auto-memorized starting spells?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 21:47

Why no more auto-memorized starting spells?

With a recent commit (https://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/commit/a30a7c4be0532642112772baf4946f1531a7ab5c), it seems that book backgrounds no longer start with the first spell of their starting book memorized. What's the rationale?

The only thing I can think of is leaving the option to save that one spell level and memorize a different spell first after you've gained an XL or two. This seems like an edge case, though, because it's hard to survive many D:1 encounters without any spells, nor a weapon, nor weapon skill. And it seems like a great way to screw newbs, who may not realize they are starting without a spell at the ready.

(I'm doubly annoyed because I just added a bit of script to my rc file that opens the skill training menu automatically at the start of the game -- but with a book background, usually the only skill I want to focus is my primary spell school, except now I can't because I haven't memorized anything yet, so the mod is useless.)

Please enlighten me!
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 21:56

Re: Why no more auto-memorized starting spells?

Hah, I thought this was a bug.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:01

I am pretty sure that it was and the commit you linked to is the commit that fixed it. Starting spells are auto-memorized just fine in the latest version.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:02

D'oh, that would make more sense huh. I couldn't tell from the code w/o explanation which way the change was going :P
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:42

Just started a new OgWz on trunk (0.16-a0-910-g739c61c), and confirmed that the expected starting spell (indeed the only available spell at level 1), Magic Dart, was not memorized. Had to memorize it manually. I'm really glad I was not confronted by a monster with the new character before chancing upon this topic. Might have been a little steamed.

Agree that this is silly, but I can see that the alternate case could possibly be desired in another's view, so why don't changes like this get made into simple options file values that the player itself can modify if it doesn't like the default behavior? It would seem sensible to do it that way for this particular case, IMO.

How do commits get committed? Someone just makes the change and that's that?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:56

Once upon a time a certain wandering fungus that meleed the code a bit too much when refactoring (cleaning it up), and the code became confused. I fixed the bug in the commit you linked, and when the server rebuilds this evening (midnight for cszo, and I think the same for cao), the problem will go away. Blame the wandering fungus, not my great doxygen comments please!!!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:57

gammafunk wrote:Once upon a time a certain wandering fungus that meleed the code a bit too much when refactoring (cleaning it up), and the code became confused. I fixed the bug in the commit you linked, and when the server rebuilds this evening (midnight for cszo, and I think the same for cao), the problem will go away. Blame the wandering fungus, not my great doxygen comments please!!!

your doxygen comments are really bad and so are you

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:57

Aule wrote:How do commits get committed? Someone just makes the change and that's that?

fucked up, but true.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 22:59

WHY YOU WANT STARTING SPELLS FOR CASTERS? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PROCURED FROM CRAWL DEVELOPMENT TEAM? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH DEVTEAM! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH PLEASINGFUNGUS, TRADE STORY OF MANY ROGUELIKES DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF BRILLIANT GAME FEATURES!

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, PleasingFungus, Sar

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th September 2014, 23:25

gammafunk wrote:Blame the wandering fungus, not my great doxygen comments please!!!

There's a fungus amongus...

PleasingFungus wrote:
Aule wrote:How do commits get committed? Someone just makes the change and that's that?

fucked up, but true.

Actually pretty cool.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 04:59

I wish enchanters wouldn't start with corona memorized so the slot isn't wasted when I worship dithmenos.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 07:18

johlstei wrote:I wish enchanters wouldn't start with corona memorized so the slot isn't wasted when I worship dithmenos.

Fortunately that's solved once you first read-ID a scroll of amnesia, but I definitely understand the sentiment.

Return to Game Design Discussion