Chunks: Rotting and Otherwise

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 15:08

Chunks: Rotting and Otherwise

I have been playing quite a bit of ghouls lately, and a (quite unoriginal) thought struck me: why do chunks rot? It only serves to make anything chunk related more unwieldy than it needs to be. Just remove the chunks from the inventory the moment they reach their expiration... With the recent removal of saprovore from multiple starting species, removing rotting chunks only makes sense (just get rid of saprov completely, if it that isn't slated already :| ).

Similarly, is there no way the chunk inventory spaces could be consolidated? Is a malleable stack of inventory junk a crawl taboo? Eg one stack of chunks where the 'decomposed' chunks are removed automatically from that stack.

Just a thought.

e: grammar
Last edited by Greyr on Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago, rockygargoyle

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 15:24

Re: Chunks: Rotting and Otherwise

Greyr wrote:Similarly, is there no way the chunk inventory spaces could be consolidated? Is a malleable stack of inventory junk a crawl taboo? Eg one stack of chunks where the 'decomposed' chunks are removed automatically from that stack.

I've been working on this on and off, but it's actually quite technically challenging. (Not to say it won't be done, just that it's taking a while.)

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 15:31

PleasingFungus wrote:
Greyr wrote:Similarly, is there no way the chunk inventory spaces could be consolidated? Is a malleable stack of inventory junk a crawl taboo? Eg one stack of chunks where the 'decomposed' chunks are removed automatically from that stack.

I've been working on this on and off, but it's actually quite technically challenging. (Not to say it won't be done, just that it's taking a while.)

I figured it was, given some of the recent changes. I wish you luck with this! I think It would be a fantastic step in the right right direction.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 02:48

Worth noting that there's discussions of removing chunks from the game entirely. CSZO currently has a "chunkless" branch where (if I remember correctly) butchering and chunks are gone, all enemies that used to give chunks have a chance to drop permafood, and trolls, ghouls, and felids eat corpses directly.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 17:43

After posting this I looked at Mantis.

While personally, I don't think the outright removal of chunks is necessary (or even wanted among the majority of the playerbase) but it would be better than the current incarnation of 'The Chunk' imho

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 23:07

Quazifuji wrote:Worth noting that there's discussions of removing chunks from the game entirely. CSZO currently has a "chunkless" branch where (if I remember correctly) butchering and chunks are gone, all enemies that used to give chunks have a chance to drop permafood, and trolls, ghouls, and felids eat corpses directly.

What about kobolds? :|
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 23:23

Ghouls can eat those, too.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
PleasingFungus, rockygargoyle

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 23:44

duvessa wrote:Ghouls can eat those, too.

Badum-TSHHH!!

Duvessa, soon at your nearest theater café with the critically acclaimed Monologue of Vitriol! Date TBA!!!11!one

May I inquire about how would the carnivorous nature of kobolds be addressed in the aforementioned chunkless branch?
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 00:43

Meat rations are not being removed, so I don't see why it would need addressing in the first place.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 01:29

duvessa wrote:Meat rations are not being removed, so I don't see why it would need addressing in the first place.

Going from "can eat everything, always engorged" to "can only eat a minority of food items, like spriggan but only with more uncommon food types and without the slow metabolism" is a bit of a shift, I think.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Laraso

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 01:30

PleasingFungus wrote: bit of a shift

I think you mean Bullshift.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 09:22

duvessa wrote:Meat rations are not being removed, so I don't see why it would need addressing in the first place.

Excuse me, are you telling me that:

Felids, who are carnivorous, will be able to eat corpses directly.
Trolls, who are carnivorous, will be able to eat corpses directly.
Ghouls, who are ghastly carnivorous, will be able to eat corpses directly.

Kobolds, WHO ARE CARNIVOROUS TOO, will be reduced to eating meat rations and beef jerkies?
Getting a horrid nerf for NO APPARENT REASON?

Duvvie, please help me out here: are you f-BLEEP-ng kidding me, is this part of your trademark spiteful troll show, or does the chunkless clique simply hate kobold just because?

Unless Duvduv is trolling (>0.75), and if this is in fact the state of the issue for kobolds:

I CALL SHENANIGANS ON THE CHUNKLESS BRANCH :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 09:43

Enemies drop meat rations and jerkies instead of chunks, so kobolds are just fine.

Or do I misunderstand?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 09:53

Maybe kobolds and halflings will be combined and the resulting half-bold race will not be carnivorous.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 11:30

jejorda2 wrote:Enemies drop meat rations and jerkies instead of chunks, so kobolds are just fine.

Or do I misunderstand?

I think that yes, you misunderstand.

PleasingFungus wrote:

Going from "can eat everything, always engorged" to "can only eat a minority of food items, like spriggan but only with more uncommon food types and without the slow metabolism" is a bit of a shift, I think.

Where bit of a shit means xbox hueg nerf

Quazifuji wrote:Worth noting that there's discussions of removing chunks from the game entirely. CSZO currently has a "chunkless" branch where (if I remember correctly) butchering and chunks are gone, all enemies that used to give chunks have a chance to drop permafood, and trolls, ghouls, and felids eat corpses directly.

No mention of kobolds.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 17:22

jejorda2 wrote:Enemies drop meat rations and jerkies instead of chunks, so kobolds are just fine.

Or do I misunderstand?

That's currently how the chunkless branch works, but consensus was that 'enemies dropping permafood' was a failure; probably, if chunkless is revived, it will go back to the initial "higher permafood generation rates" approach.

Psiweapon, please calm down; you're overreacting to an incomplete, experimental branch. This isn't about to be merged into trunk; it may never be merged at all. If it ever is, be assured that kobolds will get some kind of reasonable compensation before the branch is considered ready for master.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Psiweapon, Quazifuji

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 17:31

PleasingFungus wrote:

Or do I misunderstand?

That's currently how the chunkless branch works, but consensus was that 'enemies dropping permafood' was a failure; probably, if chunkless is revived, it will go back to the initial "higher permafood generation rates" approach.

Psiweapon, please calm down; you're overreacting to an incomplete, experimental branch. This isn't about to be merged into trunk; it may never be merged at all. If it ever is, be assured that kobolds will get some kind of reasonable compensation before the branch is considered ready for master.

Okay ;_______;

But kobolds... *SNIFFFLES* ;_______; kobolds... *SNIFFFF* ;_______;

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 17:42

I'm ok with no chunks for eating anymore (as much as I will miss chopping up and eating raw elves) but what about the "flavor" chunks generated when an enemy is disintegrated?

For this message the author grisamentum has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 17:45

grisamentum wrote:I'm ok with no chunks for eating anymore (as much as I will miss chopping up and eating raw elves) but what about the "flavor" chunks generated when an enemy is disintegrated?

Without trying to sound rude, this is the least problem problem I have ever seen. :D

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 17:58

grisamentum wrote:I'm ok with no chunks for eating anymore (as much as I will miss chopping up and eating raw elves) but what about the "flavor" chunks generated when an enemy is disintegrated?

*screechy voice*

Ellven ffllesshhh... myy ffavouriite... sso dellicate... tasstess like magiic!! :twisted:

Really, nothing can top the fresh flesh of a centuries-old sentient with an affinity for magic. No, wait, something actually can: the flesh of elven twins. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 3rd October 2014, 19:31

we actually discussed this; iirc the best suggestion was painting the floors with 'offal' or something along those lines

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 03:50

PleasingFungus wrote:

we actually discussed this; iirc the best suggestion was painting the floors with 'offal' or something along those lines

Now that I think about it, it's actually pretty strange that the post-OOD monster bits are currently edible. Kinda funny, really, but odd.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 04:06

Isn't blood enough? Disintegration chunks were only added in 0.6, and I can't say I ever found myself thinking "gosh, monsters not creating items when I disintegrate them is a really big gap in this game that needs to be filled" when I was playing 0.5.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Psiweapon

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 04:46

duvessa wrote:Isn't blood enough? Disintegration chunks were only added in 0.6, and I can't say I ever found myself thinking "gosh, monsters not creating items when I disintegrate them is a really big gap in this game that needs to be filled" when I was playing 0.5.

I was more asking, "what will happen" not "how will you balance the removal of auto-butchering via disintegration"

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 08:56

disintegration must turn the target into bloody mess, like that Makhleb vault. then it will be ok.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 5th October 2014, 11:16

Bloody disintegration should leave several blood streaks at random angles and at least a 3x3 group of splashes around the former monster.

Return to Game Design Discussion