Set options in-game (ie. options menu)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 10th September 2014, 23:36

Set options in-game (ie. options menu)

If there is something that is truly irking me atm, it's the inability to set some options in-game. The most flagrant lacking option is to turn auto-pickup on/off for specific items or categories. Atm, we need to open the options file, change auto-pickup rules while remembering which character stands for which item, save, return playing, decide an item is no longer useful to pick-up, save+quit, wash and repeat. And I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few more options that could be interesting to have included in an option menu.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 00:14

Re: Set options in-game (ie. options menu)

Do you know about \ ?
For it to be worth having an options screen in-game there need to be enough options that someone might reasonably want to change in the middle of the game. What other options besides autopickup (which already has its own screen) can you think of?
Last edited by Wahaha on Thursday, 11th September 2014, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 00:14

Have you tried "\"?

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 03:17

Wahaha wrote:For it to be worth having an options screen in-game there need to be enough options that someone might reasonably want to change in the middle of the game. What other options besides autopickup (which already has its own screen) can you think of?

Tweaking the TIles GUI? It'd be really nice to have a preview of it at the very least, since booting the game and finding out you didn't actually set it up right is annoying.
The abyss isn't a toilet...
Confidence Interval wrote:Though if you find yourself there you may well conclude that you have been emmerded, to misuse a French term.

The sheep explode! Xom roars with laughter!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 21:30

This would be really nice, but it would be nearly impossible to get to work with most options, and would merely be a lot of work for some other options. I would definitely try to get a patch committed if offered, but it's too much work for too low a priority to do myself, sorry :(

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 22:18

Wow! Never knew about '\'. I use view this screen often, but never noticed the change. Looks great.
Other options I believe can be useful:
autofight_* and automagic_*
explore_stop

Also, having an options menu can help regroup
1) Current options in rc presented better (easier to understand and see included files options)
2) View/Toggle in-game options (Autopickup, Set travel speed to slowest ally, etc.)
3) Item knowledge (for toggling auto-pickup)
4) Maybe change keyboard layout

The bottom line is crawl is becoming more GUI oriented, and that means reducing the necessity to learn most keys while getting a better view of pertinent information.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th September 2014, 01:46

You can be interested to press ?? and carefully explore the screen, it has several grouped lists with all available commands.

Return to Game Design Discussion