"Reverse Demigod": High apts, low stats

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 12th September 2014, 22:54

"Reverse Demigod": High apts, low stats

Lasty's topic on a high XP/low apt species reminded me of an idea I've been bouncing around for a while. Basically, it's a "reverse Demigod": very high apts across the board, kept in check with very low stats. Something like this:

+3 in all skill aptitudes
-2 HP, MP, & XP
Base stats of 4 Str,Int, & Dex, no further stat boosts beyond those chosen by the player every 3 levels.

The exact numbers are of course subject to change, but that should give you an idea of what I'm aiming for. The way I imagine it, the species would be strong in the early game, due to e.g. reaching min delay very quickly, and the high apts would allow considerable room for branching into multiple playstyles, but the abysmal stats would keep you from becoming a total superman. No casting Fire Storm in GDA here.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 12th September 2014, 23:03

Re: "Reverse Demigod": High apts, low stats

Kinda reminds me of a spriggan but without the .6 movement and MP +30%.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 13th September 2014, 00:36

And no equipment restrictions, and better melee apts than a minotaur.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 13th September 2014, 02:39

What does +3 to everything give? I think it'll make for a very easy mid game. Probably too easy. Just start with a book, then become the ultimate mid game steamroller that +3 to everything turns you into.

Biggest problem to me at least is the +3 to fighting, dodging, armour, shields, and stealth. That -2 to HP would matter a lot less, at least in the mid game, with such absurd defensive capabilities. You may say that deep dwarves have really good defensive capabilities too, but they've got other problems to deal with.

They could probably win you 3 runers blindfolded.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Return to Game Design Discussion