Blork the Orc description change

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 07:55

Blork the Orc description change

Not design at all -- but could we change the description for Blork the Orc? Maybe it's just me, but given recent events it's bizarre to see a Robin Williams reference like this:

A particularly fat and ugly orc. He seems to have scavenged a pair of rainbow-coloured suspenders from somewhere. They're not helping.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 09:49

Re: Blork the Orc description change

I never thought that was a Robin Williams reference myself. I don't think we need to assume players are educated about Robin Williams' various works. I just took it as "okay, not only is this guy fat and ugly, but he has a tacky fashion sense too". Which is a pretty generic thing IMO.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 13:09

rettrat wrote: given recent events it's bizarre to see a Robin Williams reference like this:

So, even though that's been the description for years, given recent events, they shouldn't broadcast Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam, and Mork & Mindy on TV?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 13:10

If you're so unnecessarily "offended", considering R.W. was a big enough video game fan he explicitly named his daughter Zelda which numerous sources (including the man himself) cite as due to his enjoyment of the Nintendo franchise, why not pretend in your own mind that it's a Gallagher reference.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 16:30

No no no, I'm not saying get rid of the reference -- just it'd be cool to have something more reverent than "fat and ugly".

For this message the author rettrat has received thanks:
neil

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 17:09

I'd also like to get rid of the "fat and ugly", as well as the similar text for Wiglaf (and ogres and orcs etc etc).

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 30th August 2014, 17:35

neil wrote:I'd also like to get rid of the "fat and ugly", as well as the similar text for Wiglaf (and ogres and orcs etc etc).

Perhaps fill Wiglaf's description with Beowulf jokes? "The last of his kind(both a reference to how Wiglaf is the last of the Wægmundings in Beowulf and to how he's the only surviving Mountain Dwarf after the MDs were removed in DCSS), this dwarf is a fearless dragon slayer who is so skillful with the shield he once managed to block dragonfire with a wooden buckler."

Then give him a chance to drop a shield with rf+.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st September 2014, 01:25

The orc was huge, well-muscled and even attractive for his species.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 1st September 2014, 03:09

Brannock wrote:The orc was huge, well-muscled and even attractive for his species.

Also well hung
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks:
Tiktacy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st September 2014, 03:28

Perhaps describing him as hirsute would also be appropriate :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Game Design Discussion