Proposal: Potion of Cancellation should remove flaying

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 01:13

Proposal: Potion of Cancellation should remove flaying

I just tried quaffing a potion of cancellation when under the "flaying" status, and was a bit disappointed that it didn't work.

I propose that it *should* work to remove "flaying" status inflicted from the flaying ghost. :)
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 02:19

Re: Proposal: Potion of Cancellation should remove flaying

This seems reasonable, though it'd need some special behind-the-scenes work, I suspect.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 06:01

Should it also remove Mesm? DCurse (when mummy death curses become a status effect removable by killing the monster)? I don't see the logic extending very well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 17:01

What's wrong with removing mesm? Noise and various other things already remove mesm (well, unless it's from obsidian axe). If something is on the status effect bar for status effects and I drink the potion of remove status effects, I expect it to get rid of whatever is in that bar, except for "hungry". (Well, I don't actually expect it to do that becuase I'm spoiled and know crawl never makes sense but you get the idea.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 18:49

Actually, some indication of the types of things that cancellation will cancel would be nice, and that got me thinking, maybe the colors of the status lights should be unified so that the color indicates the *type* of status, blue for magical effects (Which can be cancelled) red for physical effects (which can be cured) white for permanent effects. Perhaps cyan for god-induced effects (Which can neither be cancelled nor cured) and green for "Other" (Like transmutations)?

The red coloration of say "Flay" does't really lend anything other than flavor, And while poison and contamination give you some indication of their level via coloration, I would be in favor of the coloration giving you a consistent understanding of what effects will be cured by what potion, and what will not, and for things which have levels, use some other method to convey that understanding (Like +++ on the status itself perhaps?)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 10
and into, Arrhythmia, bisonbisonbison, crate, Curio, duvessa, EugeneJudo, nago, skyspire, Tiktacy

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 16th August 2014, 23:29

Should bad status effects like slow and confuse have the same color as good status effects? Not a good idea because of visibility. However I support status colors making more sense than they do now. Also what about confusion which can be cured and dispelled? Transmutations can be cancelled by drac breath btw, I don't know if the potion cancels them but it should.

For this message the author Wahaha has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, skyspire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th August 2014, 00:02

Wahaha wrote:Should bad status effects like slow and confuse have the same color as good status effects? Not a good idea because of visibility. However I support status colors making more sense than they do now. Also what about confusion which can be cured and dispelled? Transmutations can be cancelled by drac breath btw, I don't know if the potion cancels them but it should.

I made a wiki discussion for the status light color discussion here:
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ght_colors

If you'd like to contribute to that discussion.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 17th August 2014, 00:59

Wahaha wrote:Should bad status effects like slow and confuse have the same color as good status effects? Not a good idea because of visibility.

Why not use the light version of a color for good effects and the darker version for bad ones?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 17th August 2014, 01:04

nicolae wrote:
Wahaha wrote:Should bad status effects like slow and confuse have the same color as good status effects? Not a good idea because of visibility.

Why not use the light version of a color for good effects and the darker version for bad ones?

Because we already use light/dark to indicate 'this is about to run out'

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 17th August 2014, 01:17

Patashu wrote:
nicolae wrote:

Because we already use light/dark to indicate 'this is about to run out'

We could always put an asterisk before expiring status effects. There's no real reason to keep the current (IMO less than optimal) status effect displays.

For this message the author godzilla has received thanks:
skyspire

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 17th August 2014, 07:36

To make the potion of cancellation easily understood, why not just make it cancel all magically induced (and magical-like monster ability) status effects? including: flaying and mesmerized, and mummy related death curse status effects. It already greatly lessens mutagenic glow, similar to a scroll of vulnerability. Does it cancel temporary bad mutations from the Wretched Star? It probably already cancels all buffs ( might, haste, berserk, phase shift, etc ) .. .. But I cannot find where to find a list of what it cancels or doesn't cancel.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 17th August 2014, 12:20

But I cannot find where to find a list of what it cancels or doesn't cancel.

http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... =HEAD#l344
(It's the same effect as quicksilver dragon breath BTW)

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 17th August 2014, 22:22

Maybe the potion should be renamed to Quicksilver Dragon Milk ;-)

Return to Game Design Discussion