Proposal: new spell: Lava pyre (Fire/Earth)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 16:21

Proposal: new spell: Lava pyre (Fire/Earth)

I've been thinking about a spell that creates a wall temporarily. Similar to Tomb of Doroklohe but a single square. I don't know what level the spell should be, but I was thinking in the region of 6. I feel like it's pretty powerful, so that's why the material component will be a single large rock. I was thinking the area around the wall would do the same damage as slimy walls, but with fire damage.

In essence I want the spell to be the creation of a temporary (but long-ish) block. The fire damage isn't that important, but I don't want to have a single-school earth spell, that might be too strong. My original idea was that it was a single school earth spell that creates a slimy wall something like Acidic Obelisk or something silly.

Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: I read someone's similar proposal, and a long duration would likely be too powerful. This spell has the potential to be a life-saving spell. Level could bumped to 8, and/or cost 3 large rocks or something.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 17:55

Re: Proposal: new spell: Lava pyre (Fire/Earth)

I think whatever is created should be able to be worn down with attacks.

I would implement this as an unmoving, non-aggressive, high-hp, summon.

Granted, we have Fulmanint Prism...
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th August 2014, 19:33

Re: Proposal: new spell: Lava pyre (Fire/Earth)

I like the idea. I'm not sure it needs to require large rocks, that seems like it's just an inventory restriction. Being a level 6 dual school spell seems like high enough of a cost.

The issue I have is that I'm not sure if we can balance two situations at once:

Code:
##############
#  @   X 1 1 1
##############

When down a hallway, casting lava pyre at X would be the same as tomb, with possibly damaging the demons on the other side (it could be made to not damage things on the outside of a wall similar to how LRD can't do that anymore either). But completely blocking mobs off from you is more powerful than when it's used in the open, for damage. I'd suggest just disabling it from being cast near too many walls - require a minimum of 5 open tiles? I think that's how/similar to how Qaz's cloud generation works, and should mean you can't wall yourself in with the spell.

I like the idea of forcing mobs to walk past damaging walls, though, and would support an open-area-only version of the spell. A question would be if intelligent monsters would path around the damage area as well as the wall, though. The spell is basically a longer lasting cloud that always hits the same 8 known tiles, which is a bit more predictable than the other cloud spells, if it affects less area.

Return to Game Design Discussion