Proposal: modify mummies self-restoration

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 15:41

Proposal: modify mummies self-restoration

Currently, mummies' self-restoration allows to cure rotten hit-points and restore stats, at the cost of one permanent MP.
The permanent MP loss is enough to make the player use this ability as few times as possible.
Since it is possible to wait for the stats to come back in the temple, I then find myself waiting for tens of thousands of turns, this is why I propose to split the ability in two new ones:
- cure rotten hit-points at the cost of one permanent MP point
- restore stats at the cost of rot (N stat restored => N rotten hit-points)

This way, you can still restore both stats and HP with one permanent MP point, but you now have the choice between waiting, and reduce you max HP (that you can hopefully restore with a wand of healing, if you have it with enough recharging scrolls), or take the risks of continue exploration with a reduced max HP in the hope of finding the wand or the scrolls.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 15:46

Re: Proposal: modify mummies self-restoration

I would never use a wand of heal wounds to cure rot, especially on a species that can already do it for free.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 15:49

So right now the problem is that you can optimally cure stat loss by waiting in the temple. You proposed a solution in which you still can optimally cure stat loss by waiting in the temple. If the problem is the tedium of waiting out stat loss, you need to remove waiting out stat loss, or make it less tedious. Trying to balance the tedium of one option with another option that permanently harms your character is ill-advised.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 15:54

Stat loss is likely to be changed to not recover over time (possibly recovering with XP gain instead) so as to actually fix the problem of being able to wait it out somewhere safe, yes.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 15:56

HP rot is not permanent, since you can still heal it with the wand, whereas MP loss is really permanent.
The aim is indeed to reduce the tedious waiting out of stat loss, and I tried to modify the current situation as little as possible.

But if the stat loss recovery is changed to be linked to XP, my idea is already obsolete then.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th August 2014, 16:29

Alarkh wrote:HP rot is not permanent, since you can still heal it with the wand, whereas MP loss is really permanent.
The aim is indeed to reduce the tedious waiting out of stat loss, and I tried to modify the current situation as little as possible.

But if the stat loss recovery is changed to be linked to XP, my idea is already obsolete then.

Using a wand charge is permanent and 5 wand charges are almost certainly worth more than 5 max mp.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Game Design Discussion