Remove wielding useless items

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 16:22

Remove wielding useless items

I sometimes found myself wielding a bread ration or a potion by mistake while switching among weapons or decks. I lose a precious turn. Why is this option still available? Since removal of stalker class and those spells you need to have skeletons or chunks there's no need to wield consumables and such.

Let wield command only wield useful items. This is not Nethack
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

For this message the author Roderic has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Lasty, nago, nilsbloodaxe

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 17:45

Re: Remove wielding useless items

please continue letting me quiver and throw books

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 17:51

While we're at it, consolidate the Wear / Wield / Put On / Remove / Take Off (it's not like there's an UNWield; you gotta hit '-'), and make it so there is just two "DRESS" and "UNDRESS" keys for explicit put on and removal.

List explicitly shows all weapons / armour / jewelry. I mean, how many weapons and armour are you carrying anyway?

Whichever one you select from DRESS is either wielded / worn / put on, if not already wielded / worn / put on, and you get the option of "which one" to remove if it's a ring and you've already got another one on.
Whichever one you select from UNDRESS is either unwielded ('-') / removed / taken off, if not already in that state.

TADA. Just freed up like 4 keys for you.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 17:53

And instead of looking at ten items when trying to change rings you are now selecting from a list of 20.
TADA

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 19:05

dck wrote:And instead of looking at ten items when trying to change rings you are now selecting from a list of 20.
TADA

Well just do one for weapons and armour and the other for jewelery.

TADADA
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 19:15

we should totally start a band

XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 19:22

Why not one for weapons and another for armour and jewelry? Or one for weapons and jewelry and another for armour?

Or maybe just keep it simple and have separate ones for weapons, for armour, and for jewelry.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 19:44

dck wrote:we should totally start a band

Stage magic performers.

TADA.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 19:45

Lasty wrote:Why not one for weapons and another for armour and jewelry? Or one for weapons and jewelry and another for armour?

Or maybe just keep it simple and have separate ones for weapons, for armour, and for jewelry.

w W P

w R T

Barkeep

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 22:40

PleasingFungus wrote:Speedrunning is completely irrelevant to this conversation. Whether or not this change will be made has nothing to do with the impact on speedrunners, and everyone talking about 'breadswinging' is wasting their time and filling the thread with nonsense.

Agreed.

Split posts about spreedrunning, moved to CYC for now.

This thread is about changing the game so that you cannot wield stuff that is worthless to have in your hand.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 23:02

Since you are already not allowed to wield everything (you cannot wield armour) I think this change makes sense.

While we're at it, consolidate the Wear / Wield / Put On / Remove / Take Off (it's not like there's an UNWield; you gotta hit '-'), and make it so there is just two "DRESS" and "UNDRESS" keys for explicit put on and removal.

I have said this in the past and I still think this is true: combining multi-turn wear/remove with single-turn put-on/take-off is bad. (There is already an rcfile option to combine wear/remove under W and put-on/take-off under P, but I can see why that is an option and not the default, also.)

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 23:09

and into wrote:
PleasingFungus wrote:Speedrunning is completely irrelevant to this conversation. Whether or not this change will be made has nothing to do with the impact on speedrunners, and everyone talking about 'breadswinging' is wasting their time and filling the thread with nonsense.

Agreed.

Split posts about spreedrunning, moved to CYC for now.

This thread is about changing the game so that you cannot wield stuff that is worthless to have in your hand.

My main point before was that removing breadswinging would ultimately have no effect on speedrunning anyways. I agree that it is mostly safe to remove wielding nonweapons, with one exception.

The only spells left that require wielded reagents are Sticks2Snakes and Sandblast. Requiring wielding nonweapons for these would IMO be unintuitive if other nonweapons are unwieldable. What would be the best way to change these spells' interfaces?

For this message the author magicpoints has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 23:32

A first sensible step could be making unwieldable the item categories of books, armor and consumables, letting projectiles, wands and rods.

But a better idea is to make wieldable either stones or arrows whenever you have learned the corresponding spell. Otherwise projectiles would be unwieldable by default.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 23:38

magicpoints wrote:The only spells left that require wielded reagents are Sticks2Snakes and Sandblast. Requiring wielding nonweapons for these would IMO be unintuitive if other nonweapons are unwieldable. What would be the best way to change these spells' interfaces?
Use the quiver instead of the weapon slot? You'd save the 3 or 5 aut spent on switching but that's probably not a big deal.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 23:41

duvessa wrote:Use the quiver instead of the weapon slot? You'd save the 3 or 5 aut spent on switching but that's probably not a big deal.

It would also be a buff to using sandblast/s2s under ash or while wielding a vampiric/distortion/contam weapon. Though, again, that's not a particularly big deal.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 23:42

Well but those spells have the assumed handicap that you cannot wield anything not even fight when carrying the ammo. This would change -not sure for better or worst- the early playstyle of geomancers and transmuters

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 1st August 2014, 23:56

Casting sandblast and s2s is how ee and tm fight.

duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 2nd August 2014, 03:26

magicpoints wrote:What would be the best way to change these spells' interfaces?

Outright consume from a stack of non-specifically labeled stones from inventory and choose a stick from a menu of inventory sticks respectively? Default to quivered items.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 4th August 2014, 17:49

XuaXua wrote:
magicpoints wrote:What would be the best way to change these spells' interfaces?

Outright consume from a stack of non-specifically labeled stones from inventory and choose a stick from a menu of inventory sticks respectively? Default to quivered items.

Choosing a stick from the menu each time sounds pretty annoying. Doesn't sticks to snakes only apply to arrows and javelins now? Making it give you two spells for the single spell's slots seems better (sticks to snakes(arrow) and sticks to snakes(javelin)).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 4th August 2014, 19:00

johlstei wrote:Choosing a stick from the menu each time sounds pretty annoying.

So does having to wield an item (possibly from a menu) before casting each time; which is what's done right now, which is why I said "default to quivered items" so you don't have to search for which arrow (/ javelin?) set to wield.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 4th August 2014, 19:39

XuaXua wrote:
johlstei wrote:Choosing a stick from the menu each time sounds pretty annoying.

So does having to wield an item (possibly from a menu) before casting each time; which is what's done right now, which is why I said "default to quivered items" so you don't have to search for which arrow (/ javelin?) set to wield.

nah because you can wield them once and make like 3 snakes, with a menu it would be 3 times

defaulting to quivered items sound okay though, I missed that

Return to Game Design Discussion