Request - remove deep water between islands

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 23:44

Request - remove deep water between islands

I don't mind deep water around the islands or in vaults, but can something be done so deep water doesn't "spawn" so it blocks access from one to the other--like, after you've made your way to the new island and want to backtrack?

Getting cut off and having to just stand around mashing s until the water clears is boring. Not every runner finds or can cast Flight/Blink/whatever. I supposed one could use a consumable to get out of it. But really? Is deep water that important?

For this message the author Blink has received thanks:
Patashu

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th July 2014, 00:13

Re: Request - remove deep water between islands

Now that inventory doesn't have weight that drags you down, perhaps character ought to be able to slowly dogpaddle their way across deep water. Not being able to attack or aim would suffice to make it something you never did while under attack, and if there are any vaults that are broken by dogpaddling they can just substitute lava tiles instead.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 29th July 2014, 00:20

KoboldLord wrote:Now that inventory doesn't have weight that drags you down, perhaps character ought to be able to slowly dogpaddle their way across deep water. Not being able to attack or aim would suffice to make it something you never did while under attack, and if there are any vaults that are broken by dogpaddling they can just substitute lava tiles instead.

It would be pretty awful if you did this and a monster appeared. And since random spawns are a thing, it would never become safe.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 29th July 2014, 00:29

That's rather fatalistic for slow movement for two or three tiles. Chei does that the whole game long, and people have still managed to win under those conditions. I'm under the impression that we're talking about getting off an island in Shoals after the tide just came in behind you, which really should be a manageable task.

Disallowing attacking and aiming entirely is better than giving crippling penalties, because then you don't suggest to unspoiled players that they should do something dumb, like fight in water.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 29th July 2014, 19:20

I dunno, have you met most crawl players? I'm sure we'd see at least one "Bullshit unfair death, splatted in deep water because I couldn't attack a kraken!" post per week.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 29th July 2014, 23:29

Also a merfolk javelineer with silver or steel javelins can turn you into paste before you can reach the shore because monster ranged combat is very strong.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
nilsbloodaxe

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd August 2014, 04:31

What if upon entering the shoals, players acquire an item that lets them fly exclusively in the shoals? "Stone of soaring" or something like that, giving you perma-flight for as long as you are in the shoals, and cannot be activated outside shoals.

If this were the case, the shoals would be a much more enjoyable place for me.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 3rd August 2014, 08:16

Tiktacy wrote:What if upon entering the shoals, players acquire an item that lets them fly exclusively in the shoals? "Stone of soaring" or something like that, giving you perma-flight for as long as you are in the shoals, and cannot be activated outside shoals.

If this were the case, the shoals would be a much more enjoyable place for me.

Ditto. The most pleasant Shoals runs by far have been when I have boots of flight, because they eliminate the interface problems (no auto-movement over deep water).

IMO it wouldn't even really make the Shoals easier, since I pretty much always have either the flight spell or a flight ring available by then, and the problems I've had related to expiration of the buff have been few and far in-between.

I think the only thing it would really change is the fact that ring-based flight makes it more difficult to trivialize a unique who can't enter deep water.

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 3rd August 2014, 16:19

Yeah maybe flight and how deep water works everywhere needs more fundamental changes, but in the meantime removing deep water between islands would, in addition to making the Shoals less annoying to navigate, probably make the Shoals harder, not easier. Not everything in the Shoals can fly or move through deep water, which makes those enemies easy to separate from others. In particular I probably cheese out one or two uniques on average every time I do Shoals, which sort of defeats the purpose of allowing those uniques to spawn in Shoals in the first place.

Return to Game Design Discussion