Game Design History Question re:Identify

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 18:50

Game Design History Question re:Identify

Just a simple question about this aspect of the game's design.

I am quite new to Crawl. I first downloaded and played 0.13 locally several months ago, then played 0.14 on webtiles, and am now playing trunk on the same. I am completely in the dark about the evolution of this current version of the game.

My question is: why is there no identify spell? I'm imagining that there was, once, long ago, since all the roguelikes that inspired it had one, but that it was removed for certain reasons. It is those reasons I seek. But even if my first assumption is incorrect (as it so often is), and identify has never been a spell in this game, then what is the reason for it not being so? Surely, it has been suggested at least once, then, and turned down for certain reasons that I'd also be interested in reading. Any links to prior discussions would be appreciated, if anyone remembers anything specific.

My google fu is fine, but trying to search for threads on this is seemingly fruitless, given the ubiquity of the possible keywords.

Thanks.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 19:04

Re: Game Design History Question re:Identify

There used to be a divination school of magic which was removed for being stupid and encouraging boring tactics

An identify spell would add essentially nothing to the game and is also redundant with scrolls

For this message the author One-Eyed Jack has received thanks: 2
Aule, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 19:10

There was a whole divination skill back in the olden days, plus evocable items that mimicked some of the divinations. All that divination was wildly overpowered, in that a character with good divination magic could simply ignore and avoid everything that would be marginally troublesome. In exchange for removal of most divination effects, many of the reasons that you wanted divination were also culled out over time. Odds are that within a couple versions the scroll of identify itself will also pass into history, and the item identification minigame along with it.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Aule

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 19:15

It's worth noting that Ashenzari includes several reworked divinations spells.

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks:
Aule

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 20:17

Here's the old blog posts from when divinations were removed.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Aule

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 20:22

MarvinPA wrote:Here's the old blog posts from when divinations were removed.

That whole blog will be good reading. Thanks.

And thanks to all for the replies. Much appreciated!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 26th July 2014, 21:43

I do think the ID minigame does have some value in the case of scrolls/potions because it increases combat tension, at least early on. Whether luck-based tension is a good thing is another question, but the time cost of dying in early game is low, though streakers probably loathe it.

I also think randarts are special enough to deserve a little mystery to them.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 04:29

TeshiAlair wrote:I do think the ID minigame does have some value in the case of scrolls/potions because it increases combat tension, at least early on. Whether luck-based tension is a good thing is another question, but the time cost of dying in early game is low, though streakers probably loathe it.

I also think randarts are special enough to deserve a little mystery to them.

For those things, I can imagine we might go for Brogue-style auto-id (item is IDed after N turns pass in your possession), with N being randomized.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 13:24

It works in Brogue because Brogue has a pretty tight food clock.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Patashu

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 14:09

Sar wrote:It works in Brogue because Brogue has a pretty tight food clock.

Well, if you have an alternative, by all means propose it (Do note though that in Brogue, N is not randomized, which is why I took care to specify that N is randomized -- it would encourage scummy behaviour otherwise). I agree with TeshiAlair's sentiment that scroll, potion, and randart ID is interesting, and wanted to discuss how we could preserve that interest if scroll of ID was removed.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 03:55

we could use the solution for most problems recently: tie identification with exp gain.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 04:18

In particular, roguelikes with tight clocks let you do a lot of things that are 'scummy' in roguelikes without them, because suddenly they're a tradeoff of a valuable resource (For example, infinitely regeneratable levels in Sil aren't scummy because you are forced to confront Morgoth eventually, and your time in terms of gaining exp and finding loot will be better spent on as deep a floor as possible anyway)

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 08:31

Patashu wrote:

(For example, infinitely regeneratable levels in Sil aren't scummy because you are forced to confront Morgoth eventually, and your time in terms of gaining exp and finding loot will be better spent on as deep a floor as possible anyway)

Sil's floors are sort of really scummy, especially if you're going for three Silmarils.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 28th July 2014, 23:48

basil wrote:
Patashu wrote:

(For example, infinitely regeneratable levels in Sil aren't scummy because you are forced to confront Morgoth eventually, and your time in terms of gaining exp and finding loot will be better spent on as deep a floor as possible anyway)

Sil's floors are sort of really scummy, especially if you're going for three Silmarils.

Yeah, it is still a bit scummy. It used to be better in that taking the stairs cost turns from your turn clock. But it got replaced with the chance of being a false floor if you take stairs too often in a row.

Return to Game Design Discussion