Proposal: Skill Training Expansion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 04:29

Proposal: Skill Training Expansion

This idea has been percolating in my brain as I've struggled to learn the "intricacies" of skill training. I made it a weasel word in quotes because it all seems so rather arbitrary, to me.

I think part of the problem I have with it is the lack of realism. My solution for that is to propose implementing something I call training atrophy. When you stop training a skill, your skill will begin to atrophy, as it would naturally, albeit at a much slower rate than which it was learned. This will discourage the pumping of single skills, and the piecemeal building of a "finished" character via skill training.

Oh, I know, the autotraining implementation was probably designed to encourage that behavior, but it's much like a parent saying, "Mmm, look, yummy medicine!" to an unhappy child, who would much prefer the chocolate bar sitting right next to the bottle on the counter.

Let's say atrophy works like this: You train skill X until it reaches 6.0, then stop training. Over a period of time, (specifics to be determined), the 6.0 will have decreased to 5.0, while the character focused more on training other skills. I also propose that the atrophy will never decrease all of the training, but only weaken it, sometimes significantly. I would propose that it could never go below one-third of the highest it had ever been trained. So the 6 could only ever fall to 2 if it were never looked at again. The highest permament training level that could be achieved, under this condition, would be 9. There is already piety loss, so why not skill atrophy?

I also think that different skills should have different weights as to how much they atrophy, and I also propose a solution for that. Fighting, naturally, atrophies relatively rapidly upon cessation of training. If you cease training fighting for blades training, there would be less atrophy than if you went more toward the books, and if you stopped training fighting altogether, and hit the books to fighting's exclusion for a long period of time, then your muscles, reaction times and skills in that regard are going to atrophy big time. Likewise, if you are studying constantly, and you move to another subject that still in books, your mind can remain engaged in the similar material, but if you were an academic and then you abandoned the books altogether and went all superjock all of the sudden, probably much of the minutiae of your academic learning would be lost in your new focus. In this way, groups of skills affect skill atrophy rates, so that as long as some similar training is achieved, other skills in that group atrophy more slowly.

Ultimately, if such a mechanism were implemented, one would be forced to spread out their skill training, that thing that no one seems to like to do, because, really, no one has to.

Of course, it would also raise a ton of balance and power considerations, and cause an awful lot of good people an undue amount of extra work to try making it function without breaking things, but I think it's a neat idea worth considering, so here it is.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 05:01

Re: Proposal: Skill Training Expansion

That’s why I play crawl, for the realism.

But in all seriousness, how long do you think that you’re in the dungeon for? Let’s assume that a turn (10 auts) is 1 second. An unskilled punch takes 1 second, swinging an axe might take two seconds per swing, etc. Then let’s assume that an average game is 150,000 turns. 150000 aut = 150000 seconds = 2500 minutes = 41 hours = less than two days. Make an aut into 2 seconds, and you’re suddenly at less than four days in the dungeon. Even if you assume that it takes you 8 seconds every time you punch somebody, you’re still in the dungeon for 2 weeks if you’re being generous. No matter how harrowing the dungeon is, I think it would take longer than a couple weeks (or months if you’re using another time measuring standard) to forget how to read, or to let your muscles retreat from your arms.

But especially the trend lately seems to have been about streamlining the game. Enemies don’t even drop chunks anymore. I doubt that they would want to include yet another mechanic in to the game that would add literally nothing to the gameplay experience except for more tedium, when there isn’t even a really good excuse for it being there in the first place.

What the game could really use is a mechanic in which every player character has to stop and nap for a while every several thousand turns. Not to regenerate from your injuries after an arduous battle, but because naptimes are important. I can’t believe that the devs haven’t yet decided that they need to simulate sleep cycles and bodily functions.
(this last part was a joke)

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 06:08

Osgoodbad wrote:But especially the trend lately seems to have been about streamlining the game. Enemies don’t even drop chunks anymore.

This is not yet true. The chunkless branch continues development, and I guess it will be merged in the future, but for now, you can still chop chunks off corpses and eat them (and end up with a hilarious amount of permafood as a result)

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 06:24

Yeah I know in real life if I go for a couple thousand auts wihout casting spells my ability to hex prople really suffers
Last edited by One-Eyed Jack on Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author One-Eyed Jack has received thanks:
duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 06:28

Aule wrote:This idea has been percolating in my brain as I've struggled to learn the "intricacies" of skill training. I made it a weasel word in quotes because it all seems so rather arbitrary, to me.

I think part of the problem I have with it is the lack of realism. My solution for that is to propose implementing something I call training atrophy. When you stop training a skill, your skill will begin to atrophy, as it would naturally, albeit at a much slower rate than which it was learned. This will discourage the pumping of single skills, and the piecemeal building of a "finished" character via skill training.

Oh, I know, the autotraining implementation was probably designed to encourage that behavior, but it's much like a parent saying, "Mmm, look, yummy medicine!" to an unhappy child, who would much prefer the chocolate bar sitting right next to the bottle on the counter.

Let's say atrophy works like this: You train skill X until it reaches 6.0, then stop training. Over a period of time, (specifics to be determined), the 6.0 will have decreased to 5.0, while the character focused more on training other skills. I also propose that the atrophy will never decrease all of the training, but only weaken it, sometimes significantly. I would propose that it could never go below one-third of the highest it had ever been trained. So the 6 could only ever fall to 2 if it were never looked at again. The highest permament training level that could be achieved, under this condition, would be 9. There is already piety loss, so why not skill atrophy?

I also think that different skills should have different weights as to how much they atrophy, and I also propose a solution for that. Fighting, naturally, atrophies relatively rapidly upon cessation of training. If you cease training fighting for blades training, there would be less atrophy than if you went more toward the books, and if you stopped training fighting altogether, and hit the books to fighting's exclusion for a long period of time, then your muscles, reaction times and skills in that regard are going to atrophy big time. Likewise, if you are studying constantly, and you move to another subject that still in books, your mind can remain engaged in the similar material, but if you were an academic and then you abandoned the books altogether and went all superjock all of the sudden, probably much of the minutiae of your academic learning would be lost in your new focus. In this way, groups of skills affect skill atrophy rates, so that as long as some similar training is achieved, other skills in that group atrophy more slowly.

Ultimately, if such a mechanism were implemented, one would be forced to spread out their skill training, that thing that no one seems to like to do, because, really, no one has to.

Of course, it would also raise a ton of balance and power considerations, and cause an awful lot of good people an undue amount of extra work to try making it function without breaking things, but I think it's a neat idea worth considering, so here it is.

your idea does not belong in this game. It is almost an automatic badforums entry. Why? Because there is zero reason it would make the game better. You even concede this by saying it would `` cause an awful lot of good people an undue amount of extra work to try making it function without breaking things.`` As bcadren once said, ``Weirder and more complicated isn't necessarily bad; I think this is interesting.`` He was wrong and your idea is bad.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 2
duvessa, One-Eyed Jack

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 06:32

If you want a skill at a given level (say arbitrarily, 12 polearms for mindelay) then you would just allot enough xp to defray the rust penalties 99% of the time

So very little would change except the intrduction of even more micromanagement

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 06:54

If we *did* want something like this (and I don't suggest we do, I haven't heard an argument yet for why this would make the game better) The way it *could* work is if skills that you hadn't trained in a while (or used? hey, we have all that silly victory dancing code still sitting around somewhere :) it gets slowly "drained" (Almost identical in effect to getting drained in exactly that one skill). Training it, or using it causes you to restore the levels you'd lost in it. (Naturally training it also increases the max level it will be 'restored' to.)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 07:09

"time to carefully monitor my turn count so I can remember to take a break and cast a few spells so I don't forget how fireballs work"

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 07:18

nicolae wrote:"time to carefully monitor my turn count so I can remember to take a break and cast a few spells so I don't forget how fireballs work"

victory dancing with zero benefit
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 10:37

I like the spirit of the idea, that we could somehow introduce a choice between developing new skills or maintaining existing skills, and that having the pressure of decaying skills would lead to more varied characters. (On this character, I chose to keep up skills for repel missiles, on this one I spent that xp on more dodging or getting a high level spell).

It solves the "Everybody wants blink, repel missiles, summon butterflies, and apportation" problem.

But if decay is prevented by practice, then tedious practice is a part of the game. If you try to make it so you can only practice on real enemies, then players will go to great lengths to defeat the anti-tedium measures and will engage in tedious practice games.

If decay prevention is not active, but is another setting on the skill screen, then we have pretty much added more work on the skill screen without changing how the game is played much.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 11:41

What's a badforums entry? It sounds bad...

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 11:56

It used to be an entry in learndb containing 160-odd bad/stupid/terrible advice/proposals found on the forum, but badlearndb happened.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 11:58

This game needs more tedious micro managing, or else casuals might latch on it and ruin it for everyone else
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 13:48

lets turn crawl into dwarf fortress, it will be fun.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

For this message the author Hirsch I has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 13:55

1. In what way does this make the game better, more interesting, or more fun to play?
2. Why did you quote the entirety of your own post in the second post?

I don't like it, because I don't see a place for it, nor do I see how this creates a more interesting game experience. It sounds like it adds a lot of tedium in going to the skill screen constantly to make sure my skills are still where I need them to be.

Note that you could have a similar function without the tedium, if all you're trying to do is slow down XP gain as a character gains more skills (but why?). Assuming a character with more spread out skills suffers more skill decay, and assuming the character would allocate enough XP to overcome that decay, in the end all this means is a character with more spread out skills effectively has less XP to spend, as some of it is going toward maintaining existing skills.

Essentially, this seems like it would impact the harder combos more, as they are typically trying to balance more skills. Meanwhile, a MiBe or the like would be training a lot less skills, and therefore would suffer less from this decay.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 14:01

I like the idea of having to flick a skill on and off constantly for the entire game just so it stays in the same place

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 17:58

Okay, jeez, it was just an idea. Sorry! LOL I'm not married to it, and I have no desire to argue its merits, because I knew it may have been meritless when I posted it. I used to have a sig, elsewhere, that maybe I should put in here:

"My thoughts are a work in progress. Please pardon the mental dust."

And the quote was supposed to be an edit, but I must have mis-clicked, and there doesn't appear to be a way for me to delete my own message.

Touchy... :)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 18:25

Leafsnail wrote:I like the idea of having to flick a skill on and off constantly for the entire game just so it stays in the same place

Yeah, 'cause how can having to think about something possibly be fun? Just don't understand some people.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 18:43

savageorange wrote:It used to be an entry in learndb containing 160-odd bad/stupid/terrible advice/proposals found on the forum, but badlearndb happened.

The link provided has only this:
badentries are gone

Is that bad? That can't be good. There's no in-between, so... Hmm.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 19:15

Aule wrote:Okay, jeez, it was just an idea. Sorry! LOL I'm not married to it, and I have no desire to argue its merits, because I knew it may have been meritless when I posted it. I used to have a sig, elsewhere, that maybe I should put in here:

"My thoughts are a work in progress. Please pardon the mental dust."

Did you even read the stickied thread on how to construct a good GDD post? Because this part and your first initial post makes me think you didn't. You need to be able to answer damiac's 1st question, "In what way does this make the game better, more interesting, or more fun to play?".

Aule wrote:Yeah, 'cause how can having to think about something possibly be fun? Just don't understand some people.

Having to think about something does not make it fun, interesting, or meaningful.
Official Online Wins and Streaks
Experimental Wins: 1xImHu (Imps) 1xTrBe (chunkless)
Offline Wins: 2xTrCK 1xFeBe 1xHuWn 1xKoAr 1xMiFi

For this message the author nilsbloodaxe has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 20:03

nilsbloodaxe wrote:Having to think about something does not make it fun, interesting, or meaningful.

Yeah, f--- decisions, choice, and freedom.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 20:24

XuaXua wrote:
nilsbloodaxe wrote:Having to think about something does not make it fun, interesting, or meaningful.

Yeah, f--- decisions, choice, and freedom.

Good job with the strawman there, mate.

Here let me make it clearer. Having to think about something does not make that thing fun, interesting, or meaningful.

For this message the author nilsbloodaxe has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 20:48

nilsbloodaxe wrote:You need to be able to answer damiac's 1st question, "In what way does this make the game better, more interesting, or more fun to play?".

The answer, in my mind, was explained at length in my OP as the overall rationale behind the idea. But if you want to play this game, then I'm game. The question only required that one of the three conditions be met, so I'll summarize how each of those three conditions are met, in my estimation. That's a 300% win.

To me, it would make the game better by giving more credibility to skills. To me, it would make it more interesting by having the mechanic become more meaningful. To me, that would make it more fun for me to spend the time managing the spaghetti of skill training when there is some sense involved in it, since I have to do it anyway and it's just plain arbitrary.

But I'm only me, talking freely about a game that I'm very interested in and like very much. If that mere thing can generate such juvenile judgmentalism, then I don't know what else to say, so I probably won't.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 20:53

Aule wrote:
Leafsnail wrote:I like the idea of having to flick a skill on and off constantly for the entire game just so it stays in the same place

Yeah, 'cause how can having to think about something possibly be fun? Just don't understand some people.

It would be nice if the thinking we're talking about wasn't in service to a weird spoilery mechanic with no tangible benefits that would only make the game more inaccessible.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 21:48

Maybe somebody could be so kind as to answer my question, eventually. What is so vastly different, fundamentally, between what I have suggested and the existing mechanic of piety loss? If my suggestion is so anathema, then perhaps the suggestion should be turned around to eliminating piety loss for being not better than no piety loss, not as interesting as no piety loss, and not as fun as no piety loss. Or is arbitrariness just rampant, here.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 22:35

Yes some of the responses were snippy, but people have also given good reasons why this isn't a good idea.

In practice, having skills drain slowly over time is not effectively going to be different from just having enemies give less experience, except that skills slowly draining means that you have to monitor much more carefully your skill screen, which doesn't sound fun. The amount of experience in the standard game has actually been tightened over the last few versions, and that trend might continue. If so, that would put more pressure on your skill training decisions, without forcing players to pay even more attention to skill training than they already do.

The exponential increase in cost to get to the next skill level already makes it a good idea for many characters to branch out. Having skills that you aren't actively training drain over time would make people want to limit and focus their builds to a much greater extent, which seems like it would ultimately box game play into specific builds and limit character diversity.

Piety and skill training are two different things. They serve very different purposes in the game, so there is no reason to assume they should behave similarly. HP and MP don't behave like piety nor like skill training, for instance.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
Aule, duvessa

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 23:19

Aule wrote:To me, it would make the game better by giving more credibility to skills. To me, it would make it more interesting by having the mechanic become more meaningful. To me, that would make it more fun for me to spend the time managing the spaghetti of skill training when there is some sense involved in it, since I have to do it anyway and it's just plain arbitrary.

I don't understand what you mean by "credibility" to skills. If you are trying to say realistic because unused skills get worse if you don't use them in real life, I counter with: it's a game, so who cares, and, if we do care, any potential time frame for crawl is going to be short enough where this probably isn't much of a concern in real life.

You say it will be interesting because it makes skill training more meaningful. How does making your skills go down if you don't use them make them more meaningful, when if anything it makes them less meaningful? Really your proposal just means more fiddling with skill allocation then we already have, and I don't think that is a good thing.

How in any way is skill training as it is arbitrary?

Aule wrote:But I'm only me, talking freely about a game that I'm very interested in and like very much. If that mere thing can generate such juvenile judgmentalism, then I don't know what else to say, so I probably won't.

Ok, you aren't the only one here who does this, but I am going to call you out on it. Criticism is not "juvenile." However, this type of response to criticism of your ideas and your thread (since it does not meet the standards of GDD) is. Remember, this is GDD, not an advice thread, here I will be far more blunt.

For this message the author nilsbloodaxe has received thanks: 2
duvessa, savageorange

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 23:52

Aule wrote:Maybe somebody could be so kind as to answer my question, eventually. What is so vastly different, fundamentally, between what I have suggested and the existing mechanic of piety loss?
Piety and skills are different on so fundamental a level that it's honestly kindof difficult to explain. In addition, your proposal is actually nothing like piety loss at all. I'll try and explain anyway.

You only ever have one piety level to increase. That means you don't have to makes any decisions about where your gained piety goes - it goes towards the god you are worshipping. Therefore no tedium is generated by decaying piety, as regardless of whether piety decays or not you will still just keep putting your piety towards the same thing. It might if, say, you could chose to assign piety to multiple different gods at any one time, but you can't.

On the other hand, you have many different skills that you may want to increase. This means you have to choose where to put your XP, in a way you don't have to choose where your piety goes. This means that if you want, say, 12 Axes, then all that your proposed decaying skill system would do is force you to turn the skill on and off repeatedly to keep it at that level. Note that this cannot happen with piety, because you can only worship one god at a time and therefore do not have to choose where your piety goes.

Something else to note is that your proposed system has a weird element: skills only decay if you aren't training them, and they do so over time. As far as I can tell this means you can just switch on all your skills between fights to prevent them from decaying, then turn off the ones you don't want whenever you're about to make a significant kill. This is, needless to say, very tedious, and a problem that piety decay does not have.

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks: 2
Aule, duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 00:44

nilsbloodaxe wrote:I don't understand what you mean by "credibility" to skills. If you are trying to say realistic because unused skills get worse if you don't use them in real life, I counter with: it's a game, so who cares, and, if we do care, any potential time frame for crawl is going to be short enough where this probably isn't much of a concern in real life.

You say it will be interesting because it makes skill training more meaningful. How does making your skills go down if you don't use them make them more meaningful, when if anything it makes them less meaningful? Really your proposal just means more fiddling with skill allocation then we already have, and I don't think that is a good thing.

How in any way is skill training as it is arbitrary?

I am skipping the debate, because there is none to be had. I clearly misread this environment.

Ok, you aren't the only one here who does this, but I am going to call you out on it. Criticism is not "juvenile." However, this type of response to criticism of your ideas and your thread (since it does not meet the standards of GDD) is. Remember, this is GDD, not an advice thread, here I will be far more blunt.

Honestly, I did not previously include your posts in with those self-important mockeries I labeled as juvenile, so there was no need for you to say, "Am not, you are."

I approached this topic with an open mind, having read the GDD sticky, BTW, and was met with outright hostility and ridicule. I then attempted to reframe my intent with candor and levity, backing off, and was met with even more hostility and ridicule. Sure, some tried to engage in constructive dialogue, but there is a toxicity present that cannot be denied, though, clearly, it can be ignored if one so chooses.

It should speak well of my feelings towards those involved in this game that I was taken by surprise by the more overt, uncritical (meaning unthinking) posts.

I am an adult, individual mind, and I treat everyone with a respect that illustrates the same. I just want to have fun, too, and that's why I'm here. I do not have to spend effort trying to constructively contribute something to the game community, especially as a newcomer, but I want to. That isn't something anyone who loves the game should dismiss lightly, IMO.

Don't know what else there is to say, except thanks. I didn't want to start any arguments.

Going back to work on the spell calculator, and to play a little.

For this message the author Aule has received thanks:
and into

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 06:49

Aule wrote:I approached this topic with an open mind, having read the GDD sticky, BTW, and was met with outright hostility and ridicule. I then attempted to reframe my intent with candor and levity, backing off, and was met with even more hostility and ridicule. Sure, some tried to engage in constructive dialogue, but there is a toxicity present that cannot be denied, though, clearly, it can be ignored if one so chooses.

Honest advice- Read some other GDD threads. Then read some locked GDD threads. Then post ideas in CYC until you are really really really sure an idea can survive GDD.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 07:07

Aule wrote:I just want to have fun

there is no fun in GDD, there's only GDD

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 09:11

Aule wrote:

The serious problem with your suggestion is that you make the things a person doesn't think about very tedious. If someone wants to maintain a particular skill -- not improve it or let it atrophy, but simply maintain it -- one must perpetually toggle it on and off for the rest of eternity.

Now, you could make a change to the skill training screen to allow a skill to be put in the "maintain" state, so that a fraction of the usual XP will be diverted into it to keep it level....

But ultimately, your proposal has a subtle, fundamental problem: it's secretly just giving everybody Ash's ability to transfer skill points from one skill to another. If you are not training or maintaining a skill, then the net effect is that you are transferring skill points from that skill into the skills you actually are training.

Incidentally, if every skill drains at the same rate, then you would have a strategic effect that would discourage diversity -- the more skills your character maintains, the fewer skill points you have for the skills you are training. I think this is in direct opposition to the design of the skill system.

It would also prompt awkward questions like "Should I train both Conjurations and Fire? Or should I train just Fire so that I suffer less skill drain?"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 14:34

nilsbloodaxe wrote:Having to think about something does not make that thing fun, interesting, or meaningful.

Yeah, f--- chess.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 14:52

I'm pretty sure what nilsbloodaxe is trying to say is that "that you have to think about a thing does not inherently make that thing interesting". Lots of things require thought but are boring.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nilsbloodaxe

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 15:27

Lasty wrote:I'm pretty sure what nilsbloodaxe is trying to say is that "that you have to think about a thing does not inherently make that thing interesting". Lots of things require thought but are boring.

Yes, like doing your taxes.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 15:35

I'll usually be one of the first people to complain that the tavern can be a little too snippy sometimes, but in this thread, I really only see you getting more and more rude Aule. People are simply asking "Why" to your proposal, and you haven't given a real answer to that besides "It will be better". People have explained that your proposal has no real interesting effect, it just puts more burden on the player to keep going to the skill screen and turn skills on and off (And what about auto training?).

If you're going to make proposals to change the game, you need to have a clear idea up front, and you need to be able to take criticism without getting juvenile about it.

Let's take one more stab at this, maybe we'll both feel more satisfied:

To me, it would make the game better by giving more credibility to skills.

What does this mean? More credibility? You'll need to explain what you mean by that, and then, why 'more credible' skills make the game better.

To me, it would make it more interesting by having the mechanic become more meaningful.

OK, I'll assume here you mean skill training, but how does this make skill training more meaningful? If anything, it makes skill training a little less meaningful, as the skills you trained aren't permanent anymore.

To me, that would make it more fun for me to spend the time managing the spaghetti of skill training when there is some sense involved in it, since I have to do it anyway and it's just plain arbitrary.

This confuses me the most. Right now, for skill training, you only have to turn a skill on when you want it to go higher, and if not, you do not turn it on. If it's high enough, you turn it off. What's arbitrary about that?
And, with your proposed change, how is it less arbitrary? How is there 'some sense involved in it'? This part seems to be the most important part to you, so you really need to clearly explain what you meant.

You didn't finish answering those questions. They're not my questions, they're the default GDD questions. If you can't come up with a convincing answer to those questions, your idea will not go far in GDD.

Aside from that, even if your idea is solid gold, you have to realize you're proposing a change to a game a lot of people play and like. Sometimes, no matter how much you like it, other people won't. So there's no point in getting offended if your idea is rejected by the community. Most suggestions are. I know all mine have been!

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 15:44

nilsbloodaxe wrote:
Lasty wrote:I'm pretty sure what nilsbloodaxe is trying to say is that "that you have to think about a thing does not inherently make that thing interesting". Lots of things require thought but are boring.

My taxes are a thrilling romp.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 15:50

Skill training doesn't seem arbitrary at all. You distributing a finite amount of experience over time to improving your character in specific areas. Doing so while considering both the short and long term opportunity costs of what you spend skill XP on is plenty "interesting", it doesn't feel forced at all.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 18:24

I agree with Johlstei - and I'd take it further. Skill training is actually one of my favorite aspects of crawl. I like strategic building of a character more than tactical control of a character, and your skill training is more or less 90% of strategic planning of your character. Equipment and such adds some, but you're mostly just going off what you have access to, and it's fairly simple to pick most of the time. So skills are the biggest part of strategic planning.

I don't really count god choice because I tend to pick my god before my run starts, but if you are more flexible in gods then sure lower the 90% and allocate some to god choice :)

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 16:51

XuaXua wrote:
nilsbloodaxe wrote:

My taxes are a thrilling romp.

Yeah f*** XuaXua's taxes.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 27th July 2014, 20:08

Aule wrote:My solution for that is to propose implementing something I call training atrophy. When you stop training a skill, your skill will begin to atrophy, as it would naturally, albeit at a much slower rate than which it was learned. This will discourage the pumping of single skills, and the piecemeal building of a "finished" character via skill training.

this sounds awful D:

pumping a single skill is already discouraged by the fact that severely lopsided characters tend not to fare well (at least in my experiences)
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Return to Game Design Discussion