Rapid Evolution Race, Mutalites

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 02:50

Rapid Evolution Race, Mutalites

Inspired by this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12798&p=182886#p182886

Mutalites (Mue-ta-lights) are Humanoids born through magical experiments gone wrong. (or right) Some call them the children of Jiyva, the insane slime god, because of their unstable genetics, and are often shunned because of their frighteningly rapid changes in appearance. Mutalites are born with no eyes, and cannot read any scrolls. (magical books and manuals have a half chance to generate with "braille" allowing them to be readable for Mutalites) ((Open to change, I feel like Mutalites should be able to play magical classes because there are a large amount of spell modification mutations that may affect them adversely, keeping them in check)) However Mutalites can still detect the environment around them normally albeit at a shorter range. Mutilates enter the dungeon with the Rapid Evolution intristic as a race modifier, but can only evolve at a pace relative to their gained experience.

Innate Abilites-
Mutalites are considered chaotic creatures. They cannot worship Zin. Though Elyvilon, or The Shining One will still accept them. They have vulnerability to Holy/Silver damage.

Mutalites detect their environment with the use of hearing, and have -1LOS. (Supernatural eyesight mutation becomes supernatural hearing)

Mutalites are incapable of reading scrolls, and books and manuals have a half chance of being indiscernible for them. (on spawn)

Mutalites have the rapid evolution intrinsically. All evolutions received through it are permanent. However you can only receive 2 permanent mutations per experience level, and any more received beyond your capacity are transient, and fade after a 300-500 turns.

Mutalites are particularly vulnerable to Polymorph and to sources of mutation, and suffer damage when exposed to such. (damage is nulled by RMut, however vulnerability is only somewhat reduced)

Mutalites have a base Strength of 12, Intelligence of 7 and Dexterity of 7 (before Background modifiers).
----
Preffered Backgrounds
Warrior Mage: Transmuter
Zealots: Beserker, Abyssal Knight, Death Knight
Mage: Wizard, Fire Elementalist, Ice Elementalist,
----
Level Bonuses
+1 to strength or intelligence every 4 levels.
+10% HP
-10% MP
+5 magic resist per level
Gain 2 permanent mutations per exp level, all others recieved after the limit are temporary and time out.
---
|APTS|
Mutalites Have high physical endurance that matches their evolutionary nature, (+1/2 Fighting) And have good passive combat abilities and passable weapon skills. (-1/0 range) they also have a good spellcasting (2) and transmutation (2) aptitude, although they are clumsy with other magics, (-2) and particularly evocations (-3) (hard to read instructions when you're blind)
Last edited by Kersallus on Friday, 18th July 2014, 02:59, edited 2 times in total.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 02:56

Re: Rapid Evolution Race, Mutalites

Line of sight in Crawl is reciprocal, you can't reduce player's LoS without reducing monsters' LoS also.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 02:57

Sar wrote:Line of sight in Crawl is reciprocal, you can't reduce player's LoS without reducing monsters' LoS also.

Is that code? damn.
Thoughts otherwise?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 03:31

I think it's both code and design decision.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 03:50

"A species that gains mutations as it levels up" has already been done, that's what Ds used to do. I think the move towards a more balanced and defined set of facets was an improvement, and I don't see why we also need something that emulates the older version.

For this message the author Leafsnail has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nilsbloodaxe

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 05:36

You might wanna change the name. It's very verb-ish .. When I read it my mind went "Sub=Zero wins. MUTALITY."

For this message the author savageorange has received thanks: 2
Hirsch I, Kramin42

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 11:46

The name instantly made me think of this.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 15:21

Being unable to read scrolls doesn't sound like fun at all. Hope you like cursed items. Mummies are a serious strategic threat to your survival. May as well go ash I suppose, then at least you know stuff is cursed. I guess you could worship ash, stash mummies somewhere, put on your endgame item as the only uncursed item in your inventory, and kill a mummy.
Last edited by johlstei on Friday, 18th July 2014, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 18:41

Re: no scrolls: please read this entire thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12798&p=180147

Allow them to read scrolls as usual.

While I do like the idea of a chaotic mass mutated race, DS is a more balanced approach to it. I don't think this race fits well with the developer's intended designs. I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on a broken race, but this is too strong half of the time, and terrible half of the time, which isn't really reliable.

I also don't think there's enough mutations in the game to give someone 2 mutations per level. Keep in mind that once you have a positive mutation you can't gain the opposite negative mutation - once you have fast healing 1 perm, you'll never get slow healing. You'd run out of mutations pretty fast.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 18:53

Kersallus wrote:
Sar wrote:Line of sight in Crawl is reciprocal, you can't reduce player's LoS without reducing monsters' LoS also.

Is that code? damn.

Sar wrote:I think it's both code and design decision.

Technically, in Crawl, you can turn invisible if you cover your eyes with your hands.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th July 2014, 20:49

XuaXua wrote:Technically, in Crawl, you can turn invisible if you cover your eyes with your hands.

What is this, Nethack?
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 15:50

What if they only mutated in combat? Give them some negative intrinsics, but have them mutate temporary beneficial mutations while in combat to encourage you to keep fighting.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 20:49

To encourage you to kite, you mean?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 21:18

Leafsnail wrote:To encourage you to kite, you mean?

The dude didn't even mention the word "tension", give him some credit man.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd July 2014, 14:01

Yeah, def not based on tension. Something more like how Trog checks if you are still fighting while in berserk and prolongs it.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 00:20

Kersallus wrote:...vulnerability to Holy/Silver damage...

Silver vulnerability makes sense, but why would they be weak to holy? They're not evil or unholy, just chaotic.

TeshiAlair wrote:Yeah, def not based on tension. Something more like how Trog checks if you are still fighting while in berserk and prolongs it.

Doesn't Trog extend your berserk when you kill things? I guess that could be a valid check to see if you're keeping your mutations, though.
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

Return to Game Design Discussion