Trees

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 20th July 2014, 22:00

Trees

Why, in trunk, can I no longer burn trees? One, little, tiny advantage that my starting DEWz had was the ability to set blazes in trees using Conjure Flame. Once, he was the fear of only Oklobs and Wandering Mushrooms. Now, he's a pinata for absolutely everything.

It was also quite useful for clearing out more space in some stashes.

I don't like this change.

For this message the author Aule has received thanks:
XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 05:08

Re: Trees

Aule wrote:Why, in trunk, can I no longer burn trees? One, little, tiny advantage that my starting DEWz had was the ability to set blazes in trees using Conjure Flame. Once, he was the fear of only Oklobs and Wandering Mushrooms. Now, he's a pinata for absolutely everything.

It was also quite useful for clearing out more space in some stashes.

I don't like this change.

It was a strange and unobvious special case for a spell that otherwise requires an empty space to target. Also, it was the lowest-level spell that could burn trees, and the only spell with "flame" in the name that could do so.

For this message the author neil has received thanks: 2
Aule, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 05:51

Well, there *were* a couple special cases where some lair vaults had loot stashed behind some trees that you could only get with conjure flame (or some higher level spell you probably didn't have by that point) I think those are all gone now, so there's not really a need for the functionality, although I have to say I was a little disappointed when I discovered it myself (forest fires are actually a pretty effective way to do some damage to the spriggan forest ending of the lair)

I believe the only thing that can start forest fires that you can start with right now is lightning bolt.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Aule

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 06:20

Thanks for that.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 06:24

Siegurt wrote:I believe the only thing that can start forest fires that you can start with right now is lightning bolt.

Also fireball, but that one's a little unintuitive too: the splash won't start fires, so you have to center the targetter on the tree (or use shift-direction if you happen to be lined up properly).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 06:50

Somehow I always forget that fireball is in the FE starting book, just goes to show how often I play FE :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 21st July 2014, 10:33

Wow, i had no idea you could ever cast conjure flame on a tree. I thought it was for empty spaces only.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 00:23

jejorda2 wrote:Wow, i had no idea you could ever cast conjure flame on a tree. I thought it was for empty spaces only.

It is for empty spaces. The fire would occasionally spread to nearby trees, IIRC.
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 01:19

No. Flame clouds don't spread, only fire clouds do. You had to cast it directly on top of the tree.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 04:45

spudwalt wrote:
jejorda2 wrote:Wow, i had no idea you could ever cast conjure flame on a tree. I thought it was for empty spaces only.

It is for empty spaces. The fire would occasionally spread to nearby trees, IIRC.

No, but conjure flame would (and still does) generate steam clouds when you place it adjacent to water. Maybe that's what you had in mind?

Anyway, this change seems good, as it removes a rather counter-intuitive exception to how cf usually works.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 19:12

Can't you also cast sticky flame on trees

Return to Game Design Discussion