Spell proposal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 04:24

Spell proposal

Exorcism
Level: 6
School: Summoning
Casting noise: 4
Targeting: same as ignite poison
Damage progression: same as dispel undead
Applies abjuration spell effect to summoned demons.

Now tell me why you think its horrible
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 04:35

Re: Spell proposal

Mass dispel undead except that it works on almost all enemies in Hell, Pan, and many enemies in Abyss, plus the enemies in certain specific vaults. Also it overlaps with mass abjuration when it comes to specific types of summons. That's probably not a good idea, for much the same reasons that a "Mass Slay Beasts" spell that did mass dispel undead except against "beast-type" enemies would be a bad idea, or "Mass Slay Humanoids" for that matter.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 3
dck, duvessa, Lasty

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 05:39

Would upping it to level 8th spell make it more reasonable?
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 07:19

Also, dispel undead is interesting/useful because it provides a way for people going into necromancy to deal with undead. This isn't filling a necessary niche.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 16:41

TeshiAlair wrote:Also, dispel undead is interesting/useful because it provides a way for people going into necromancy to deal with undead. This isn't filling a necessary niche.

Right—and even then, I think "dispel foo" is questionable, though I will say "dispel undead" is at least less objectionable than other "dispel <thing>" spells that one might imagine.

kroki wrote:Would upping it to level 8th spell make it more reasonable?

Well, that would mean the spell is at least competing with stuff like "full HP heal" spell and half of the "turn invincible" spell. But those spells (revivification and death's door) have other costs and considerations that at least potentially make using them more of a careful consideration. This spell just seems like you'd spam it whenever demons are around. Unlike dispel undead you don't even have to target it or deal with the rather poor range.

The other problem that isn't solved by upping the spell level is that demons account for like 75% of the optional "beyond three runes" game content, and in those areas they are meant to be tough enemies that, with notable exception of holy wrath (which is a problematic brand anyway but let's not go there), can't be shut down by many powerful tools that work well elsewhere. (Demons are immune to silence, for example.)

Now the fact that demons are so prevalent in the "post-game" itself might be unfortunate and something that should change, since it means a lot of redundancy between Pan/Hell and to a slightly lesser extent Abyss. However, so long as it is the case, a mass "kill demons" spell is going to be extremely awkward in terms of usefulness and balance. Even a level 8 spell that basically kills or highly damages all demons in LOS is going to be nearly useless in most games and nearly useless for the first half of even those games in which it ends up being useful (because you are doing extended), and yet overpowered for a few specific areas.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 16:59

fr tame beasts spell

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 17:03

and into wrote:A level 8 spell is going to be nearly useless in most games and nearly useless for the first half of even those games in which it ends up being useful (because you are doing extended), and yet overpowered for a few specific areas.

I don't usually do this but... FTFY

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 17:12

It targets summoned demons though.

It's still hilariously valuable for clearing out chaff but you can do the same thing by killing the summoner. This just lets you take those steps in reverse.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 17:22

well the spell as described in the OP is useless since aura of abjuration exists, except it works on everything and is much better

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 17:33

crate: I think the OP is suggesting that it abjures summoned demons and heavily damages non-summoned demons.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 17:52

I honestly never would have figured that out based on the text in the OP.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th July 2014, 19:47

I confess I had to read it a couple times, but I think it's the only way that it makes sense.

Return to Game Design Discussion