I Have A Dream

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2011, 19:47

I Have A Dream

It would be nice to hit i and see ALL my items in TWO columns. Scrolling to the bottom then having the screen close when you accidentally scroll too far sucks. Hard. Furthermore pressing a key will consume, equip, etc. said item without a further prompt except for swapping rings and a few other special cases. This would GREATLY streamline item use and make it a LOT easier for players who have trouble memorizing a dozen different keys for drinking potions, equipping items, etc. Item examination and such can be instead allocated to different keys.

For example, you have potion Z. You hit i, can see it WITHOUT scrolling down for 73 hours, then hit Z. The potion is sipped without further prompts.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2011, 19:53

Re: I Have A Dream

Setting

easy_exit_menu = false

prevents the accidental screen closing at least. Honestly, no idea why that feature defaults to true. It's not an easy menu exit, it's an annoying menu exit.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2011, 20:54

What about my other ideas though? It wouldn't be hard to make items go in 2 columns for easy viewing and streamlining the system by removing some unneeded prompts (or at least moving them to someplace more optional).

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2011, 22:12

mageykun wrote:Setting

easy_exit_menu = false

prevents the accidental screen closing at least. Honestly, no idea why that feature defaults to true. It's not an easy menu exit, it's an annoying menu exit.

I've just changed the default to false. I think we should even remove the option, I don't see the point of it.

snow wrote:It would be nice to hit i and see ALL my items in TWO columns. Scrolling to the bottom then having the screen close when you accidentally scroll too far sucks. Hard. Furthermore pressing a key will consume, equip, etc. said item without a further prompt except for swapping rings and a few other special cases. This would GREATLY streamline item use and make it a LOT easier for players who have trouble memorizing a dozen different keys for drinking potions, equipping items, etc. Item examination and such can be instead allocated to different keys.

For example, you have potion Z. You hit i, can see it WITHOUT scrolling down for 73 hours, then hit Z. The potion is sipped without further prompts.

It does fit in two columns. Just use a bigger monitor :) Do you play tiles or ascii? In both, the inventory screen use the whole available space, I don't see how we could fit more in 2 columns without just using a bigger window. In tiles, you can also disable tile_menu_icons to have smaller lines. What could be possible, is to use more than 2 columns. Perfect for wide screen monitors. I'm pretty sure the whole 52 items will fit in a 4 columns display on a WUXGA display.
I'm not too fond of your other idea. How would you read descriptions of items? I think the action line in the description is better than what you're proposing. And it teaches standard commands.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
mageykun

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 04:43

A toggle between standard and smaller text in inventory screens might help.

Return to Game Design Discussion